• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

Referencing this post from Haros on the recruiting thread: https://www.ogboards.com/forums/sho...est-Football-Recruiting?p=3799523#post3799523 (I made a few edits)

Seems there is still a decent amount more moving and shaking (especially to land more badly needed transfers). I have us four scholarships above the limit. Could get down one if Clapp moves on (he did play some today, which be a signal in either direction). And then I know guys like CBS and Tom are still unknowns.

I'm certain there will be mistakes in here, but here's a stab at our scholarship situation. If all of the following return (they won't, and while I have guesses I don't know which ones, but I've noted 6 that are more questionable to return than others), we have 88 scholarship players versus our limit of 85. So we need net -3 transfers before the start of the season, and that likely limits our ability to bring in very many pieces from outside, particularly at areas of need (LB, LB, LB, and DT stand out to me). Please correct anything that you believe to be incorrect.

Updated Count: 89

QB (6): Hartman, Kern, Griffis, Griffis, Marucci, Edwards
RB (6): CBS, Turner, Ellison, Cooley, Claiborne, Towns, Carney
WR (10): AT Perry, Donavan Greene, Ke'Shawn Williams, Morin, Banks, Christian Greene, Dez Williams, Horatio Fields, Zavier Simpson (Sch?), Jackson Hensley (Sch?), Wesley Grimes, Jaydn Girard
TE (5): Whiteheart, Michael Frogge, Trey Boll, Cameron Hite, Gavin Ellis
OL (16): Zach Tom (Q), JeVionte Nash, Maginn, Nya, Jurgens, Gordon, Petitbon, CJ Elmonius, Clapp, Zach Vaughan, Christian Forbes, George Sell, Matt Gulbin, Nick Sharpe, Jaydon Collins, Erik Russell, Derrell Johnson

Special Teams (3): Ivan Mora, Matt Dennis, Jacob Zuhr

DL (15):
DE (7): Bothroyd, Jacory Johns, Jasheen Davis, Kendron Wayman, Isaiah Chaney, BJ Williams, Eli Hall, Jon Saklad (WO?),
DT (8): Tyler Williams, Kevin Pointer, Kobie Turner, Dion Bergan (Q), Will Smart (Q), Justin Williams, Bernard Gooden, Jalen Swindell

LB (9): Ryan Smenda, Chase Monroe (Q), Chase Jones, Dylan Hazen, Jaylen Hudson, Zach Ranson, Josh Sosanya, Quincy Bryant, Tommy Bebie

DB (16): Coby Davis, Nasir Greer, Zion Keith, Chelan Garnes, Isaiah Wingfield (Q), Gavin Holmes, Caelen Carson, Malik Mustapha, Nick Anderson, JJ Roberts, KJ Trujillo, AJ Williams, Evan Slocum, DaShawn Jones, Zamari Stephenson, Andre Hodge, Jamare Glasker

Assumed moving on (i.e. not in current scholarship count above, but possible one or two returns): Roberson, Sciba, Vilain, Francis, Terrance Davis

Observations:
1. LB appears to be the weakest position. We haven't recruited a ton there, and 3 of the 9 listed (with 1 additional question mark to return as well) were recruited as DB at least according to recruiting sites. These include Zach Ranson, Josh Sosanya, and Quincy Bryant -- all of which are currently undersized at 212-222 pounds. This year's recruit Tommy Bebie at 200 is also presently undersized -- but if any have significant speed maybe that would be an upgrade over our play at the position last year.
2. Losing full sized and ready-to-play DTs like Fox and Kamara will hurt. Tyler Williams returning is huge for that reason. The other options have yet to contribute much and are in the 277-285 lb range, other than our incoming True Freshman Jalen Swindell (310?). Update: big get with Kobie Turner as our one incoming transfer thus far.
3. We are deep/experienced everywhere else. QB, WR, OL look like the three most likely positions to see a transfer, just given how many options we have at those spots.

Added Pointer and Turner, added notes to a few others. Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming.

I saw we had an offer out to a depth tight end which makes me think we'll see some attrition there. Also would be surprised if all the QBs return.

We bring back everyone but Tom, Q,and Chap on offense.

Whiteheart will easily step into the Chap role. Tom will be touch to replace. Q I'd a stud, but we get Greene back, and out receivers as a whole will be top-10 in nation good. Our offense will average 40ppg.

Hopefully we fill some gaps on decent, get some guys healthy, bring in a strong DC,and improve our speed at LB.

10+ wins should be our goal next season. 9-3 regular season is very doable.

We bring back everyone but Tom, Q,and Chap on offense.

Whiteheart will easily step into the Chap role. Tom will be touch to replace. Q I'd a stud, but we get Greene back, and out receivers as a whole will be top-10 in nation good. Our offense will average 40ppg.

Hopefully we fill some gaps on decent, get some guys healthy, bring in a strong DC,and improve our speed at LB.

10+ wins should be our goal next season. 9-3 regular season is very doable.

Is Tom official? I know that’s the expectation, but has there been confirmation?

Is Tom official? I know that’s the expectation, but has there been confirmation?

No confirmation. He's a crazy smart dude and probably has a few degrees already. He lead us to 11 wins. I don't know what else is left for him at the college level, especially given he's a definite draft pick.

No confirmation. He's a crazy smart dude and probably has a few degrees already. He lead us to 11 wins. I don't know what else is left for him at the college level, especially given he's a definite draft pick.

My wife is in the MBA program with him. She asked him in their last class of the year if he was going to go pro and he smiled and shrugged and said “I don’t know yet.” He’s in the first year of a two year program, so it’s possible he returns.

Really excited for the '22 season.

Offense - Should be great with so much returning. Plus throw Greene and Nash back into the mix.

Defense - Hiring the right DC and getting a couple of contributors from the portal should improve the D.

Special Teams - Need a kicker who can put the ball into the endzone consistently and a threat at kick returner would be nice. Replacing Sciba will be all important.

Schedule - Need to win all four non-conf games (VMI, Vandy, Liberty, Army), all road games are winnable (Dook, F$U, Pups, Looserville), home slate will be tough (BC, Goats, Cuse, Clempson).

Don't see why we shouldn't be able to make a run at the Atlantic Division again.

Your assessment of winnable games is backwards. The road schedule is very tough outside of Duke and the home schedule should be less difficult -Clemson.

My wife is in the MBA program with him. She asked him in their last class of the year if he was going to go pro and he smiled and shrugged and said “I don’t know yet.” He’s in the first year of a two year program, so it’s possible he returns.

It’s possible. Could he finish the program elsewhere or online in the Spring and Summer? If so, then it wouldn’t stop him from going to the NFL.

I am sure some of these guys have their degrees and just want to get on with their lives and make real money, even if not in the NFL.

Curious move then, not sure he's getting any NFL sniffs.

Couldn’t agree more. On one of the worse P5 Ds and did get 10 TFLs and 9 sacks but guessing most of those stats were against weaker teams as we didn’t get much pressure in latter half of season

He’s Canadian. He can play in the CFL.
I believe he's also older - like 24 or so. Which means he could either simply be ready to move on from college football and/or wants to take whatever shot he may have at some professional league now before he spends another "useful" pro year in college.

Saw maybe dislocated ankle for Mora. He'll be fine by Sept. 1.

This is what I heard as well.

I'm sure there will be some MRIs done to check for vascular damage, but otherwise seems like best case scenario considering the injury.

He’s Canadian. He can play in the CFL.

In the CFL, every team gets 20 international players spots. The rest of the rosters are filled out by Canadiens. He's one of the top prospects in the CFL draft if he does not get picked up by the NFL.

Couldn’t agree more. On one of the worse P5 Ds and did get 10 TFLs and 9 sacks but guessing most of those stats were against weaker teams as we didn’t get much pressure in latter half of season

Good thing you're guessing when all of this information is 2 clicks away.

2 sacks against Pitt, 2 against BC. 1 against FSU, UVA, and Louisville. 1.5 against Norfolk. He also forced fumbles against Pitt and FSU.

I get we weren't the greatest defense, but I don't understand that damning all the players.

Back