• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

Thats nice and all, but I am hoping one of the young guys steps up. Smart, Cooley or Claiborne. There were several times this season I was wishing we had a more reliable run game. When the D is getting penetration on the RPO because they know its going to be a PO, really disrupts our offense. Looks like we should have nice options, hopefully someone will step up.

Don't forget Ellison. J

Believe that he's in the portal, but he could stay.

Semantics.

I don't expect that we'll see him back next year.

Plenty of RB depth on the roster... So provides the opportunity for someone else to step up.

Semantics.

I don't expect that we'll see him back next year.

Plenty of RB depth on the roster... So provides the opportunity for someone else to step up.

That’s a bummer. We really didn’t get enough games from him to ease the sting of losing KW3…

Hopefully, CBS leaving opens up a LB in the transfer portal. A greater area of need.

His blocking will be greatly missed. Was probably the least talented runner of the 4 we used this year but he was needed on the field to block. Immediately after he went down against UNC, there were two straight plays that got blown up because the RB had poor blocks, one of which was a sack. Great on special teams coverage as well. Hopefully he can find a place where he gets carries and then a shot in the NFL as a backup RB and STer.

Wasn't expecting CBS to transfer but also wasn't expecting him to be back next year based on his presence at Senior Day (and absence from Clawson's lists of players returning for a 5th/6th year). (Despite the pipe dream of him turning into a stud defensive player). Regardless, imo we need to be better at RB next year than we were this year.

I think that leaves Zach Tom as the last unaccounted guy among the upperclassmen. (Also not expecting him to return)

Last edited:
More concerned about the impact on kickoff coverage than the offense. WF's kickoff coverage went from solid to horrendous when CBS went down. With a ship no longer committed to CBS, believe WF is now one ship over the limit. WF is recruiting the portal; so, the staff is anticipating a couple of more.

Last edited:
Ellison, Turner, Townes, Claiborne, Cooley

We will be more than fine.

Yep — probably unfair of me to speculate on guys (I liked your edits and I’ll assume everyone returns in future roster updates until they make their own announcements), but I also expected him to move on (Graduate rather than transfer).

CBS played hard and was fun to cheer for as a Deac, and I wish him the best of luck in starting a graduate degree/playing elsewhere.

Updating this post from Haros on the recruiting thread: https://www.ogboards.com/forums/sho...est-Football-Recruiting?p=3799523#post3799523 (I made a few edits)

Believe we are actually 3 over -- down to 2 if Zach Tom leaves as well.

Updated Count: 88

OFFENSE (44)
QB (6): Hartman, Kern, Griffis, Griffis, Marucci, Edwards
RB (6): Turner, Ellison, Cooley, Towns, Claiborne, Carney
WR (10): AT Perry, Donavan Greene, Ke'Shawn Williams, Morin, Banks, Christian Greene, Dez Williams, Horatio Fields, Zavier Simpson (WO?), Jackson Hensley (WO?), Wesley Grimes, Jaydn Girard
TE (5): Whiteheart, Michael Frogge, Trey Boll, Cameron Hite, Gavin Ellis
OL (17): Zach Tom (Q), JeVionte Nash, Maginn, Nya, Jurgens, Gordon, Petitbon, CJ Elmonius, Clapp (Q), Zach Vaughan, Christian Forbes, George Sell, Matt Gulbin, Nick Sharpe, Jaydon Collins, Erik Russell, Derrell Johnson

DEFENSE (41)
DL (15):
DE (7): Bothroyd, Jacory Johns, Jasheen Davis, Kendron Wayman, Isaiah Chaney, BJ Williams, Eli Hall, Jon Saklad (WO?),
DT (8): Tyler Williams, Kevin Pointer, Kobie Turner, Dion Bergan (Q), Will Smart (Q), Justin Williams, Bernard Gooden, Jalen Swindell

LB (9): Ryan Smenda, Chase Monroe (Q), Chase Jones, Dylan Hazen, Jaylen Hudson, Zach Ranson, Josh Sosanya, Quincy Bryant, Tommy Bebie

DB (17): Coby Davis, Nasir Greer, Zion Keith, Chelan Garnes, Isaiah Wingfield (Q), Gavin Holmes, Caelen Carson, Malik Mustapha, Nick Anderson, JJ Roberts, KJ Trujillo, AJ Williams, Evan Slocum, DaShawn Jones, Zamari Stephenson, Andre Hodge, Jamare Glasker

SPECIAL TEAMS (3):
K: Matt Dennis
P: Ivan Mora
LS: Jacob Zuhr

NO MORE ELIGIBILITY (8): Stewart, Chapman, Fox, Kamara, Masterson, Redd, J.Taylor, T.Davis
MOVING ON (8): Roberson, Sciba, Vilain, Francis, CBS, D.Taylor, A.Marshall, Dicks

Last edited:
Jaydon Collins is my surprise candidate at OT if Tom decides to go NFL. He's 6-6, now 298 (up 23 lbs from HS). He was an early enrollee in January 2021, so has had a year in WFU strength and conditioning and learning.

Back