• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

Good thing you're guessing when all of this information is 2 clicks away.

2 sacks against Pitt, 2 against BC. 1 against FSU, UVA, and Louisville. 1.5 against Norfolk. He also forced fumbles against Pitt and FSU.

I get we weren't the greatest defense, but I don't understand that damning all the players.

Fair point and given his age and chance in CFL it makes a ton of sense and hopefully he can have a good career and best of luck. My post was purely weighing from nfl perspective as would be shocked if gets much of a chance there but hope I’m wrong for the kids sake. Didn’t realize he had such a good game against Pitt, but rest not surprising as don’t remember his name being called the last half of the year. Not sure if he was dealing with injuries or what as kind of weird how strong he started out strong but tailed off at end outside BC and Pitt….

Fair point and given his age and chance in CFL it makes a ton of sense and hopefully he can have a good career and best of luck. My post was purely weighing from nfl perspective as would be shocked if gets much of a chance there but hope I’m wrong for the kids sake. Didn’t realize he had such a good game against Pitt, but rest not surprising as don’t remember his name being called the last half of the year. Not sure if he was dealing with injuries or what as kind of weird how strong he started out strong but tailed off at end outside BC and Pitt….

I think he was/is a talented player who had dealt with a lot of injuries early in his career. Showed this season that he can make an impact when healthy. I wouldn't count him out for an NFL career or, at worst, a long CFL career. Hoping for the best for him and would've taken him back for another season in a heartbeat.

I was a big Luiji fan despite his penchant for awful personal foul penalties. But with him moving on I am pretty pumped about Jasheen Davis stepping into that starting spot.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Jacorey Johns. Hope he dedicates himself the off-season to getting stronger and faster to be able to rotate with Davis and Bothroyd.

I don't know if he would do it, but I don't see anything ethically wrong with encouraging someone who has graduated to move on even if they can still play. It seems we have honored the scholarship if they graduate. What say you?

I don't know if he would do it, but I don't see anything ethically wrong with encouraging someone who has graduated to move on even if they can still play. It seems we have honored the scholarship if they graduate. What say you?

I see no issue with that. As long as they have graduated we should not feel obligated to keep their scholarship. I would have problems with not renewing a scholly after 1-3 years though and from what I understand is not something we do.

That is already a practice. Some 4th year Juniors graduate and move on. Others return as 5th year Seniors.

That is already a practice. Some 4th year Juniors graduate and move on. Others return as 5th year Seniors.

I know that, I'm talking about talking graduated players not to come back, that their scholarships would not be renewed.

I doubt we’d pull a scholarship, but I’m sure there are some honest conversations about role on the team and some frank, “if you want to play next year, you have a better chance of doing that somewhere else.”

It's definitely an interesting question. A redshirt year and the occasional injury year which is rare are really nothing like the COVID year combined with the new portal rules. It does seem odd to assume 7 scholarship years as a given. Clawson has mentioned how tough it will be, and I forget the details but he's also a huge opponent of the current recruiting schedules that essentially force coaches to over-recruit.

I know that, I'm talking about talking graduated players not to come back, that their scholarships would not be renewed.

Discussions with coaches are extremely influential in helping fourth year guys decide it is in their best interest to accept a Wake Forest Diploma and move on to a future that did not include a football scholarship at Wake Forest.

A WF scholarship is a 4 year commitment if the player remains in good academic standing. It’s a one year commitment with the school holding the option years essentially everywhere else. After 4 years, WF isn’t pulling a scholarship; it’s just the end of the mutual commitment unless both parties want to extend. The idea that a player is “entitled” to a 5th or 6th year doesn’t understand the nature of an athletic scholarship. No one is ever guaranteed 5 or more years of college for free

I like Clawson’s line about how next year’s team will need to forge its own identity separate from this year’s team (paraphrasing). Hopefully the ACCCG loss keeps us hungry in the off-season to bring home the title next year a la Tim Duncan and the 2014 Spurs following the Ray Allen shot.

Clemson’s away schedule next year is at ga tech, at BC, at FSU, at Wake. Those four games are really important for either wake or state to finish first.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Jacorey Johns. Hope he dedicates himself the off-season to getting stronger and faster to be able to rotate with Davis and Bothroyd.

I'm not sure if they'll flip Davis to the other side of the line. They seem to treat those end positions separately (though a new DC could shake this up). I think Davis and Bothroyd still rotate at field end, and you see Johns rotate with Kendron Wayman at drop end.

Christian turner announced he’s coming back.

Thats nice and all, but I am hoping one of the young guys steps up. Smart, Cooley or Claiborne. There were several times this season I was wishing we had a more reliable run game. When the D is getting penetration on the RPO because they know its going to be a PO, really disrupts our offense. Looks like we should have nice options, hopefully someone will step up.

Back