• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

I have fucking three weddings during football season this year. It is just disrespectful is what it is.

How many will you attend? If I’m not in them I basically don’t go if it’s during football season. That’s also kind of turning into my overall policy towards weddings.

It really feels as though QB rankings in the ACC this year are mostly a preference/stylistic choice of how you rank the clear cut top 4 guys. It's Leary, Hartman, Cunningham, and Van Dyke in some order, and then it's everyone else.

Armstrong is arguably better than some of those guys, or at least on the same level. Slovis could make an argument as well, but 0 rushing ability. Lots of good depth at ACC QB this season. Also kind of wild that Clemson is not even close to the conversation, and they may be one of the best teams.

It must be said. Clawson has fired two defensive coordinators in his tenure. Is this a product of the wrong people or a flaw in what our offense asks the defense to do. I'm a little uncertain at this time. Clawson has stated with the offense we run its not concerning our defense has no chance of being top rated. I think he believes it just needs to be " a little better". Is he right? I don't know. Food for thought.

clawson did say that part of the defensive coaching moves this offseason was getting the budget for assistant coaches way higher with his extension

The general perception I've seen is that the ACC especially the Atlantic has good QBs all around, but those four stand out. I agree that it's a matter of preference and what you're ranking as to which one you prefer. I think Van Dyke gets love as a young NFL prospect whereas I don't think the other three are rated as high.

ACC is pretty loaded at QB. In addition to the 4 listed above, Brennan Armstong was super-prolific. Realize WF dominated UVA last year (and the year before), but Armstrong led the ACC in yards passing and had a better efficiency rating than Sam Hartman last year. Armstrong also has wheels.

Also, he was godawful against WF last year when he was coming back from injury, but in 2020, Phil Jurkovec's efficiency rating was better than Hartman, Armstrong. Cunningham, Ian Book and Hendon Hooker. Jurkovec threw three TDs in the opener, and then missed a bunch of games with an injury, and then Jurkovec was bad when he tried to comeback, but if he returns to 2020 form. He's tough. The ACC is loaded at QB next season.

Are Pitt and UNC the only teams not returning starting QBs?

VT's Braxton Burmeister transferred to SD State.

Duke lost Gunnar Holmberg from last year. Transferred to FIU looks like

The Coastal is such a joke.

Yeah, it should be an interesting year for ACC QBs.

As far as preseason expectations go: WF, Miami, NC State, Louisville and UVA are all definitely happy with their QB; FSU and BC have good QBs if they can stay healthy; Pitt and Clemson both have some ?s but a guy with the necessary talent to be really good; and even Syracuse, UNC and GT probably aren't all that worried about their QBs. The only two schools I see that have clear issues at QB for this upcoming season are VT and Duke.

ACC is pretty loaded at QB. In addition to the 4 listed above, Brennan Armstong was super-prolific. Realize WF dominated UVA last year (and the year before), but Armstrong led the ACC in yards passing and had a better efficiency rating than Sam Hartman last year. Armstrong also has wheels.

Also, he was godawful against WF last year when he was coming back from injury, but in 2020, Phil Jurkovec's efficiency rating was better than Hartman, Armstrong. Cunningham, Ian Book and Hendon Hooker. Jurkovec threw three TDs in the opener, and then missed a bunch of games with an injury, and then Jurkovec was bad when he tried to comeback, but if he returns to 2020 form. He's tough. The ACC is loaded at QB next season.

Yes, could definitely see Jurkovec having a bounce-back season. I mean look at these QB situations, has it ever been this good in the Atlantic Division?

Wake - Hartman
Louisville - Cunningham
State - Leary
BC - Jurkovec
--- gap ---
FSU - Travis showed some flashes
Syracuse - Garrett Shrader, great runner, poor passer
Clemson - DJ, saw nothing last year that was impressive besides being able to break tackles

Last edited:
Clemson's QB situation will be better next year whether it's DJ or someone else.

clawson did say that part of the defensive coaching moves this offseason was getting the budget for assistant coaches way higher with his extension

Yeah, in their previous jobs, James Adams was making $290k, Lambert was making $500k, and Glenn Spencer was making $500k. I am sure Spencer took a paycut, but Lambert and Adams also almost surely got more money. In contrast, Ruggiero was the highest paid assistant in 2019 and made $545k.

i predict leary is going to have a bust of a year. his advanced metrics were meh despite some pretty fluky shit last year and losing his best receiver and he's a statue. imo he kinda fits the mold of guys football hipsters like to hype up.

I kind of agree, but think he will also be more mobile this year further removed from a broken leg & ankle surgery.

I can't really think of a better place to post this - here's a fun article in The Athletic with a lot of content from Coach Clawson:

https://theathletic.com/3333636/2022/05/31/nfl-flag-peewee-football-coaching/

Thanks for posting. That's a great piece. There is plenty of Clawson content, all quality content.

It’s hard to keep secrets in coaching. Most coaches concede that since rivals have your game film, they essentially can figure out what you’re doing. They’re adept at reverse-engineering things. Plus, coaches visit other staffs and secrets get out. In the case of Wake Forest’s Slow Mesh, opponents know what they’re doing. They just don’t know how. As Clawson told me, you can’t break down their film and evaluate it in a traditional way: “These route concepts have these built-in rules — if this happens, the ball goes here. Nobody quite knows our rules.”
Clawson, who began 13-24 in his first three seasons at Wake, changed how he operates because of WakeyLeaks: “We don’t share. We’re not open. Before WakeyLeaks, I was probably as open as any coach in the country. The amount that we were compromised and the number of games that probably cost us wasn’t worth it.”

Back