• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

RB depth NY:

Top 3:
Cooley - solid
Ellison - solid
Turner - solid, but pass protection seems iffy

4-6
New guy who is redshirting - Towns a 3* from NJ. How fast?
New TR FR - Claiborne a 3* from VA. How fast?
New TR FR - Carney a 3* from Mocksville, NC. Assume he is not fast but has a nose for the end zone. A possible FB? I mean one toss sweep per game out of the "I" would not hurt my feelings.

Is that it?

Curious what we know about 4-6.

Claiborne is a true home run hitter but Towns also ran 100 meters in HS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y6S--Wmqg8

I'm truly disgusted by how slow Cade is watching that. Maybe his brother can be long snapper or something, never make it as a running back.

I see a lot of clips of a guy running through contact. Come on man, Carney was a great player for us but he had absolutely average speed for a running back. His brother has almost the exact same physical measurements (5-11/190). Claiborne ran the 100 in 10.62 and was the state champ in his division. There’s a gigantic division between the two.

I see a lot of clips of a guy running through contact. Come on man, Carney was a great player for us but he had absolutely average speed for a running back. His brother has almost the exact same physical measurements (5-11/190). Claiborne ran the 100 in 10.62 and was the state champ in his division. There’s a gigantic division between the two.

To say he was slow is not accurate. I know it was Duke, but those weren't "slow" guys in the Duke Secondary he was running by. And yes, there will be a difference between a running back that is also a track star and a normal running back.

reallllly hope we can get some new blood at RB. IIRC, cade carney and matt colburn both played substantially as true freshmen. cooley obviously showed promise and the staffs decision to put him in when we were struggling is an interesting signal. towns was playing some on ST, would be huge if he can be a player.

re: cade carney, he clearly wasn’t a fast RB. but that may or may not apply to his brother.

To say he was slow is not accurate. I know it was Duke, but those weren't "slow" guys in the Duke Secondary he was running by. And yes, there will be a difference between a running back that is also a track star and a normal running back.

He said not fast, he didn’t say slow

Cooley looks to be our best run finisher. Gets that extra 1-3 yards which helps keep us ahead of the chains.

Younger Carney looks a little twitcher to me than Cade based on my #eyetest.

I think Tate is supposed to be better than his brother. He was pretty productive in HS.

Cooley looks to be our best run finisher. Gets that extra 1-3 yards which helps keep us ahead of the chains.

Younger Carney looks a little twitcher to me than Cade based on my #eyetest.

I know I said it somewhere before, but I'm all in on the Cooley hype train. The combo of him and some burner like Claiborne could be dangerous.

I think that was clearly an assumption that he would be similar to the previous Carney. Probably should chill.

If we get the same back as we did with his brother, I'm good with it.

Last edited:
It’s been speculated here that Griffis has been getting the back up snaps because Kern could transfer. What is the likely timeframe for us to have an accurate picture of next year’s QB depth chart?

It’s been speculated here that Griffis has been getting the back up snaps because Kern could transfer. What is the likely timeframe for us to have an accurate picture of next year’s QB depth chart?

I still feel like that's just speculation. Kerns appeared to get backup snaps in some games, Griffis in others. Hell, didn't Kern come in when it mattered (after Sam lost a helmet or something) and throw a long pass against Clemson?

I still feel like that's just speculation. Kerns appeared to get backup snaps in some games, Griffis in others. Hell, didn't Kern come in when it mattered (after Sam lost a helmet or something) and throw a long pass against Clemson?

yes, after Hartman had his helmet ripped off (no call) Kern threw a 15-yad pass that I believe Perry turned into 50+ yards

I like Kern. I hope he stays. Tallest of our QB's, just needs to get bigger, stronger. Supposedly, has a stronger arm than Hartman.

Back