• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

Carney was not the fastest guy in the world but he wasn't slow. He was uniquely suited to the mesh - powerful, not prone to losing yards, runs straight ahead, good acceleration into and through the hole when it presents itself.

It’s been speculated here that Griffis has been getting the back up snaps because Kern could transfer. What is the likely timeframe for us to have an accurate picture of next year’s QB depth chart?

Probably between January and February. The thing about transferring is that someone needs to want you. Wake was Kern's only power 5 offer. Career, he is 21 for 38 370 yards and 1 TD. He's a Florida kid. Maybe he looks for something in the FCS? The portal is loaded with QB's he have alot more starts and alot more accolades.

Griffis probably isn't transferring this offseason with his brother coming. Santucci probably likes the fact that he got snaps as a true freshmen so he may stay. Billy the Red, once again only power 5 offer, but he may see a loaded quarterback room.

I think we lose 1 this year and another next year. BUT, we barely even know what our QB depth chart looks like. Leo Kelly got more snaps this year than some of the guys I am talking about. I am only assuming Kern is #2 because of what happened in the Clemson game.

yes, after Hartman had his helmet ripped off (no call) Kern threw a 15-yad pass that I believe Perry turned into 50+ yards

Exactly. I think he’s a clear step above Griffis and why I’m hoping we retain him. Hartman is a machine when it comes to taking hits but it might catch up to him.

As Timmy said, very interesting situation because we’ve recruited a bunch of QBs that seem to fit the system well but we’ve never actually seen any of them play. And as we have seen with Wolford and Hartman, this offense takes some time to really master. If we can decided on a successor at QB we should be in great shape on offense with the younger skill players in the program.

Racist much?

Claiborne is track star fast, btw.

That's not racist, you idiot, I saw tape of him (I thought) just plowing into the end zone or plowing over people, like red zone FB type scores.

Has nothing to do with race. Ovie Mughelli was also not fast, but was damn good.

I think Morin is sort of fast, too, for the record.

Don't be an idiot.

Probably between January and February. The thing about transferring is that someone needs to want you. Wake was Kern's only power 5 offer. Career, he is 21 for 38 370 yards and 1 TD. He's a Florida kid. Maybe he looks for something in the FCS? The portal is loaded with QB's he have alot more starts and alot more accolades.

Griffis probably isn't transferring this offseason with his brother coming. Santucci probably likes the fact that he got snaps as a true freshmen so he may stay. Billy the Red, once again only power 5 offer, but he may see a loaded quarterback room.

I think we lose 1 this year and another next year. BUT, we barely even know what our QB depth chart looks like. Leo Kelly got more snaps this year than some of the guys I am talking about. I am only assuming Kern is #2 because of what happened in the Clemson game.

I think the more immediate problem is that we have too many scholarship QBs and are in a pretty significant scholly crunch. Don't think we can afford to keep all of them and wouldn't be shocked if we lost two.

As Timmy said, very interesting situation because we’ve recruited a bunch of QBs that seem to fit the system well but we’ve never actually seen any of them play. And as we have seen with Wolford and Hartman, this offense takes some time to really master. If we can decided on a successor at QB we should be in great shape on offense with the younger skill players in the program.

Griffis the elder is potentially a better runner, but Kern seems to be the better passer. From what I remember about Santino's tape, he was solid at both. He is my guess for starter after Sam leaves, but this is all conjecture.

I agree. There’s no need to have that many QBs.

Griffis the elder is potentially a better runner, but Kern seems to be the better passer. From what I remember about Santino's tape, he was solid at both. He is my guess for starter after Sam leaves, but this is all conjecture.

Griffis might be a better runner, but being at the ACCC game he might be the shortest QB I have ever seen in person. Have to think it will be a hard time for him to be passing out of the pocket knowing Sam's recent struggles and he didn't appear close to Sam's height.

I agree. There’s no need to have that many QBs.

I am sure its was an overreaction to getting stuck playing true freshmen Wolford and Hartman. But, that needs correcting now.

Kenneth Dicks III to the portal.

I am worried about depth in the secondary next season, and addressing it will have to come through the portal since we only have one HS DB coming in. Add in losing Ja'Sir and we're in trouble.

I am worried about depth in the secondary next season, and addressing it will have to come through the portal since we only have one HS DB coming in. Add in losing Ja'Sir and we're in trouble.

Carson, Holmes, Keith, AJ Williams, JJ Roberts, Greer, Coby Davis (hopefully healthy), Nick Andersen, Mustapha

All that said, I agree that we need more DBs, especially since a few of our guys are prone to injury. Would like a grad Corner and safety.

I guess Smenda, Jones and Garnes are too 3 LBs going into next season? Garnes will probably play some rover too.

Bad news: I don't think we can count on Greer and Davis making it through a season. Good News: I think we'll be fine at DB.

Carson and Holmes starting at CB with two of Greer/Davis/Anderson/Mustapha/Roberts at safety is good with me. Where we need the biggest upgrade is LB, and it would be nice to have a more consistent pass rush.

May get roasted here, but Sam needs to step up his game for us to go from good to great. He completed 58% of his passes, 5th. lowest of 15 ACC qb's, 14 interceptions, led the league, and too frequently missed relatively easy passes to open receivers. His completion % was also helped by some great catches by our receivers. With arguably the best group of receivers, those numbers must improve. I agree with others here that a bigger and stronger OL would certainly help in the above situations. Sam is a great kid and with his work ethic, I am confident he will take the next step.

Back