• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker | Spring Transfer Portal Open

Played two seasons at Tennessee, one this year, has one year remaining.

Christian Greene has not transferred (that I'm aware of).
Appreciate the info, and glad to hear both will be around. Any gut feeling on those guys contributing?

Appreciate the info, and glad to hear both will be around. Any gut feeling on those guys contributing?
I feel better about Merrill contributing but don't know that I'd count on him being ahead of Fields. And if Mays takes a developmental jump, he offers more upside.

They need Merrill to be a guy who figures it out in his second season as a transfer. There are a few success stories over the last few years -- Donald Stewart, Christian Turner and Isaiah Wingfield come to mind, I think there are others. Wrote a story about it, I think early last year.

Every single school has players who left. No reflection of the coach. Didn’t Bama lose some players? That Saban guy must be out of touch and mismanages playing time.

The fact that we have many players re-upping speaks volumes.

I didn’t realize we were talking about Alabama

Some teams (Clemson, Alabama, etc...) could probably lose their entire starting lineup and still have a winning season. Wake, not so much. There is a difference.

Was Green's breakout game vs UNC?

Pumped about Greene coming back. Pulling so hard for him to have a healthy, productive season for his sake more than anything. He’s been through a ton and absolutely deserves it.

Some teams (Clemson, Alabama, etc...) could probably lose their entire starting lineup and still have a winning season. Wake, not so much. There is a difference.

Was Green's breakout game vs UNC?
If players transferring out every season is going to prevent this program from success then…we aren’t going to succeed.

the Greene play that comes to mind for me is the TD against Michigan State in the Pinstripe Bowl

was looking up greene highlights and saw the VMI game from last year, so watched the condensed game.

While there were a few times Mitch held on to the ball too long (one sack on him on the first drive, one later more on the line than him), he was a completely different QB last year (I know, it's VMI, but he didn't look good against Elon this year). The protection looked better and Perry and Greene are better than Banks/Grimes, but he looked much more decisive and was quick to break the pocket to make throws. Not sure what happened, but if that Mitch had shown up this year, we would have been in adequate hands and I can see why Clawson felt good heading into the year (does not excuse the reticence to change once Mitch showed he didn't' have it this year).

was looking up greene highlights and saw the VMI game from last year, so watched the condensed game.

While there were a few times Mitch held on to the ball too long (one sack on him on the first drive, one later more on the line than him), he was a completely different QB last year (I know, it's VMI, but he didn't look good against Elon this year). The protection looked better and Perry and Greene are better than Banks/Grimes, but he looked much more decisive and was quick to break the pocket to make throws. Not sure what happened, but if that Mitch had shown up this year, we would have been in adequate hands and I can see why Clawson felt good heading into the year (does not excuse the reticence to change once Mitch showed he didn't' have it this year).
Yeah I remember watching that VMI game also and thinking "hey if Sam doesn't come back, we'll still be OK".

Yeah I remember watching that VMI game also and thinking "hey if Sam doesn't come back, we'll still be OK".
I think the VMI gave us all a false sense of hope. Even though it was VMI, he did look like an entirely different player. Touchdown pass on the rollout to the right was legit. Maybe he didn't feel much pressure because he knew Sam was coming back. Who knows?!

Yep, I distinctly remember thinking that the rollout TD showed real promise.

VMI was ridiculously bad that season. They went 1-10, 0-8 in the Southern Conference. ESU, the second-worst team in conference at 3-8, beat them 44-21 at home.

Carter Whitt had 16 points against USC Upstate, too.

eh, i guess he was okay against an awful vmi team, but i would say he was outright bad in every other instance, both live and spring games other than that.

i think the optimism was more around:

1/ clawson's high opinion of him (that's what kinda got me on board)
2/ our track record of strong qb play and idea we had a system anyone could plug into once they learned
3/ general optimism around the program while at the same time
4/ some disillusion around hartman after some disappointing play in high-leverage situations despite being outstanding overall

so in some ways a kind of perfect storm. but i think even with all that in mind, hard to predict how truly awful he was. i guess thats why all threads invariably will lead to griffis discussion for the time being

He’s the first truly bad full-time starting QB we’ve had in my time as a fan. Of course we will talk about him.

Ok starting with Venuto, Schofield, Foy White, Mike Elkins, Phil Barnhill, Keith West, Brian Kuklick, Rusty Larue, Ben Sankey, Anthony Young, James McPherson, Cory Randolph, Ben Mauk, Riley Skinner, Tanner Price, Jon Wolford, Sam Hartman, Jamie Newman, Hartman again and Mitch Griffis. Who am I leaving out of that list, that played significant games as the starter, I know I have to be missing a few?

Ok starting with Venuto, Schofield, Foy White, Mike Elkins, Phil Barnhill, Keith West, Brian Kuklick, Rusty Larue, Ben Sankey, Anthony Young, James McPherson, Cory Randolph, Ben Mauk, Riley Skinner, Tanner Price, Jon Wolford, Sam Hartman, Jamie Newman, Hartman again and Mitch Griffis. Who am I leaving out of that list, that played significant games as the starter, I know I have to be missing a few?
Kendall Hinton

Back