• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year's rotation

Cavanaugh is not going to play next year much at all. He needs to gain some weight and develop a more definite skill set. I'm looking at him as a project player and a future glue guy.

Not meaning to hijack, but can CMM Tree or Moto shoot the 3? Their profiles list 3's as areas of improvement but I have no idea when that was written. I'm still concerned about offense because it seems like none of them are labeled as scorers. Who do you guys think will fill that out of those three?

I think CMM will be a good college shooter and an even better pure scorer, the others not so much.

Though they play different positions, it will be interesting to see if Cav or Rountree gets more PT next year. I'd bet on Cav if I had to put money on it.

I think we will need Cav at times next year as a shooter. He shoots over 40% from three in HS, and we will have a lot of versatility on the roster but not a lot of shooting.

I think the other thing that is important to note about Tony is not only is his eFG% pretty poor, he also uses 21.9 percent of the team's possessions and 21.1 percent of the team's shots. C.J. Harris, whose eFG% is 55.7, is only using 23.5 percent of the possessions and 22.9 percent of the shots.

Tony is a black hole. At least we have Nikita and his 38.7 eFG% to make it look worse.

Next years rotation will mostly involve the opponents dick repeatedly shoved in our ass.

You should be familiar by now. #bzz

I think the other thing that is important to note about Tony is not only is his eFG% pretty poor, he also uses 21.9 percent of the team's possessions and 21.1 percent of the team's shots. C.J. Harris, whose eFG% is 55.7, is only using 23.5 percent of the possessions and 22.9 percent of the shots.

Tony is a black hole. At least we have Nikita and his 38.7 eFG% to make it look worse.
Interesting. Definitely worse than his raw FG%s would have one believe. Thanks for the stats (you and stonzm).

Hope CMM can provide a significant (and immediate) upgrade. I have no doubt he'll provide that; I'm just not sure how much and how soon it'll happen.

And back on top, I don't see much if any PT for Cavanaugh or Washington next year, either.

There will be minutes to play with, a lot just depends on what happens with Carson, honestly, and what kind of lineups we want to go with. If we're doing a lineup with a bunch of combo guards and small forwards, we could go 6'3, 6'3, 6'5, 6'7, 6'9 or something and do wacky cuts or a lot of flashing the middle or something.

The problem is, that would require [Redacted] to make adjustments and get creative with his personnel instead of SMASHING square pegs into round holes. Fortunately, this is more like what he was used to with those ridiculous Knicks teams (which he was a part of) in the late 90s/early 2000s, so assuming he's still around, maybe (and that's a BIG maybe) it will finally click for him.

Last edited:
PG CMM 25, TC 15
SG Harris 32, Fischer 8
SF Fischer 17, McKie 15, Moto/Rountree 8
PF McKie 20, Thomas 15, Cavanaugh/Rountree 5
C Derosiers 25, Thomas 15

Apparently, you don't care too much about rebounding. You have Derosiers who would be the worst rebounding center in the league, along with a very undersized PF in McKie and then you throw in 6'2" Fischer at SF.

I think we have to have some size at SF. So if McKie is at PF, it has to be Moto or Rountree at the SF. I personally, think Carson is our Center, Thomas the PF and McKie at SF.

Ideally, imo:

PG CMM 30 Harris 10
SG Harris 25 Fischer 15
SF Moto 20 Fischer 5 Rountree 10 McKie 5
PF McKie 25 Cavanaugh 15
C Thomas 25 Desrosiers 15

Harris: 35
McKie: 30
CMM: 30
Thomas: 25
Moto: 20
Fischer: 20
Desrosiers: 15
Cavanaugh: 15
Rountree: 10

Anyone else would only play because of injury, foul trouble or in garbage time.

Insert Chennault for 10 mins at PG, cut CMM by 10 mins, and I think you've got it.

Green will most likely begin the season as the starter at pf. He will have a years head start learning the offense and defense and he will be the only big with any college experience meager as it may be. It will be his spot to lose. Whether he keeps it will depend on his off season gains and performance. I think he will get more minutes than most of you are projecting. The returning players are not going to yield their pt to the new guys without a fight. Expect increased minutes for Green, Fischer, and Derossiers. CJ, Travis and Tony will get more and longer rests.

Tony's numbers are bad, but the stats don't tell the whole story here -- imo, he's much worse than his numbers would indicate. Playing with a bad PG, particularly one with no court vision, is frustrating. We've seen CJ on multiple occasions get openly frustrated with TC. If you don't get the ball when you get open, you sometimes don't try and hard to get open.

Cavanaugh is not going to play next year much at all. He needs to gain some weight and develop a more definite skill set. I'm looking at him as a project player and a future glue guy.

I disagree, but we'll see once next season starts. He's tall with soft hands and a nice touch out to about 15 feet. I think that gets him on the floor.

Apparently, you don't care too much about rebounding. You have Derosiers who would be the worst rebounding center in the league, along with a very undersized PF in McKie and then you throw in 6'2" Fischer at SF.

I think we have to have some size at SF. So if McKie is at PF, it has to be Moto or Rountree at the SF. I personally, think Carson is our Center, Thomas the PF and McKie at SF.

You can't spread the only 3 people capable of playing in the post over three different positions. Most everybody agrees Cavanaugh and Washington aren't going to be ready next year. Let's say you have McKie, Thomas, and Derosiers playing 25 minutes each at SF, PF, and C. Who plays the other 30 minutes at PF/C? Even the people here who have McKie have SF don't have him playing the majority of minutes there.

I disagree, but we'll see once next season starts. He's tall with soft hands and a nice touch out to about 15 feet. I think that gets him on the floor.

He shoots about 40% from three. His range is better than you think, but he will have a hard time in the post and on defense. He'll remind Bz of all his Air Force players.

Wait, Green starting at power forward? No.

Most likely:

CMM
Harris
McKie
Thomas
Desrosiers - MUST improve and needs an IV of confidence asap.

Green will most likely begin the season as the starter at pf. He will have a years head start learning the offense and defense and he will be the only big with any college experience meager as it may be. It will be his spot to lose. Whether he keeps it will depend on his off season gains and performance. I think he will get more minutes than most of you are projecting. The returning players are not going to yield their pt to the new guys without a fight. Expect increased minutes for Green, Fischer, and Derossiers. CJ, Travis and Tony will get more and longer rests.

lol

I would love to see your rotation. CJ and McKie aren't going under 30 apiece, Green as a starter would presumably get at least 20, and increased minutes for Carson (21 mpg) and Fischer (27) would put them around 25 and 30. With Chennault still in your rotation, he would have to get at least 10. That leaves a grand total of 55 minutes to split among our 6 freshmen.

In the NBA they talk less about getting above the rim and more about how quickly a player gets to the rim.

Moto, in the videos I've seen of him, gets to the rim extremely fast. At 6'6" or 6'7", has the shoulders of a 225 lb man and looks strong as hell. He is basically exactly the same size as McKie but looks more athletic.

I think we redshirt Washington and Cavanaugh gets spot duty. CMM starts from day 1 at point with CJ and Chase running a 3 guard set. McKie at the 4 and Carson on an extremely short leash at the 5 as a shot blocking presence. [Redacted] will probably stick with experience early outside of CMM.

By ACC time you probably have Devon taking over at the 5 unless Carson makes significant improvements during the offseason, with Moto stealing more time at the 4.

I have no idea if Rountree can get in the action to see significant minutes as a freshman. Might depend on whether Chase takes the next step to being an overall playmaker/shooter or if he ends up as a role-player.

This sucks. Why would we recruit someone with no chance to contribute to a bad team right away whose ceiling is a "glue guy". Obviously good teams need those types of players, but I'd hope he projects a litte better than that.

Also, I can't believe some people are projecting Chase to play significant minutes at SF. Maybe if we're going with a three guard lineup he could be the third guard, but a 6'2" SF?

Back