• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year's rotation

Also, I can't believe some people are projecting Chase to play significant minutes at SF. Maybe if we're going with a three guard lineup he could be the third guard, but a 6'2" SF?

The reasoning is pretty simply. We have a seven man rotation now, with three guards, three bigs, and one wing. We return all three guards and add another who should see significant PT right away. We lose two of the bigs and replace them with one guy who should see significant PT and two guys who appear to be question marks/projects.

Wait, Green starting at power forward? No.

Most likely:

CMM
Harris
McKie
Thomas
Desrosiers - MUST improve and needs an IV of confidence asap.

I agree that Carson is the key to next season. Man, would I love to see the light finally come on for him.

Green does have a year on Thomas. It will be interesting to watch that battle for time at the 4. Hopefully it will make them both better. More importantly, I hope they can play the position well enough to keep Travis out of it. Travis abusing other teams' 3s inside would help us win a lot of games. Of course, Green and Thomas will end up playing the 5 (and struggling at it), and Travis will have to play the 4, if Carson doesn't figure it out. A lot riding on Carson.

Whether and when our other swing-ish freshmen get in the game depends on the above, IMO. If Carson can't hold his own, and others have to fill in at the 5, and Travis has to take the 4, then I see more openings for Moto/Rountree/Cav in the 3-4 position. In an ideal world, they would play only when Travis and whoever's at the 4 need to rest.

What's fun to think about is the possibility that one of these new guys will really surprise us. As with most freshmen, I expect most of them not to be very good in their first year, even CMM (who, I agree, will get the starting job pretty soon just because his only competition is Tony and he's actually a point guard). But wouldn't it be great if one of them were a pleasant surprise? Like Cav turns out to be a dead-eye three-point shooter, or Washington can actually play like Ty on D and use his little hook shot on O, or CMM has a CP3-like freshman year, or even one of the returning guys has a breakout year, like Chase (all he needs is confidence, IMO). I'm not expecting any of this to happen, but it's fun to think about.

The reasoning is pretty simply. We have a seven man rotation now, with three guards, three bigs, and one wing. We return all three guards and add another who should see significant PT right away. We lose two of the bigs and replace them with one guy who should see significant PT and two guys who appear to be question marks/projects.

I guess the 2 and 3 positions are pretty interchangeable so it's just semantics, but I still would not call Chase a SF.

Green does have a year on Thomas. It will be interesting to watch that battle for time at the 4. Hopefully it will make them both better. More importantly, I hope they can play the position well enough to keep Travis out of it. Travis abusing other teams' 3s inside would help us win a lot of games. Of course, Green and Thomas will end up playing the 5 (and struggling at it), and Travis will have to play the 4, if Carson doesn't figure it out. A lot riding on Carson.

If the battle between Thomas and Green is interesting next year will be worse than expected. The battle between Green and Washington for 5 minutes of PT will hopefully be more interesting.

I'm hoping Washington could give us something along the lines of Tony Woods his freshman year. Anything above that would be gravy. Hopefully his progression turns out a bit better though.

I do expect Carson to be able to man the C spot next season. He's still a bit stiff and awkward to watch, but the improvement is definitely there this season even if he's still frustrating to watch.

D-Reb% 19.7% (210th in country) vs. 13.4% last year
Block% 9.9% (29th) vs. 8.3% last year
FT Rate - 35.9 vs. 27.1 last year
TO Rate - 16.0 vs. 18.2
Offensive Rating - 94.7 vs 89.2
True Shooting % - 48.1 vs 45.2

Basically, he's been better across the board, just from a very low baseline last year. I'd expect next year to be something of a breakout season into a servicable starter, with similar rebounding and block rates, getting to the line a bit more (FTRate = 40) and an offensive rating in the 100 range. Still not great, but we won't continue getting killed at that position if he can do that. If Thomas can be servicable next to him at PF (and spelling him at C a bit), it will help even more.

Without a major surprise from one of our bigs next year (existing or new) I really think we see Travis playing a lot of 4 and threfore lots of 3 guard lineups with CMM/CJ and Chase eating up all the minutes at the 1-2 and some at the 3.

With as little talent as we have, we need to keep our best players and best scorers on the floor for as many minutes as we can.

With CJ and CMM we will hopefully have all the ballhandling we need, at the 1, letting Chase get the backup 2 minutes and a few minutes at the 3.

I just dont see TC improving his skill set significantly, and to me it looks like Chase is still growing.

If Moto can really get in there, mix it up and rebound enough to play the 4, then he will get minutes. I would love to see us be able to play McKie and Moto on the floor at the same time at the 3 and 4.

Roundtree is the big question mark for this team. It looks like he could give us minutes from the 2,3,4. Having wings that can't shoot has never stopped us before (LD, Trent, Levy), so if he can get in and bang, who knows where he lands.

I think opening day we look like:

CMM
CJ
Chase
McKie
Desrosiers

And maybe by January we are

CMM
CJ
McKie
Moto
Desrosiers

No love for Thomas? If he can just rebound and play tough, then he should play a lot.

Also I think McKie is more of a 4 than Moto.

I hope Thomas will play well, but I havent seen anything (or dont know enough) to suggest that he will start over a Junior Carson.

We are playing a 6'7" Travis a lot at the 4 this year, so seems like we could play Travis and Moto interchangably at the 3/4 next year if it gives us more rebounding. It would definitely make us more athletic, which is another area we need improvement in.

Without a major surprise from one of our bigs next year (existing or new) I really think we see Travis playing a lot of 4 and threfore lots of 3 guard lineups with CMM/CJ and Chase eating up all the minutes at the 1-2 and some at the 3.

With as little talent as we have, we need to keep our best players and best scorers on the floor for as many minutes as we can.

With CJ and CMM we will hopefully have all the ballhandling we need, at the 1, letting Chase get the backup 2 minutes and a few minutes at the 3.

I just dont see TC improving his skill set significantly, and to me it looks like Chase is still growing.

If Moto can really get in there, mix it up and rebound enough to play the 4, then he will get minutes. I would love to see us be able to play McKie and Moto on the floor at the same time at the 3 and 4.

Roundtree is the big question mark for this team. It looks like he could give us minutes from the 2,3,4. Having wings that can't shoot has never stopped us before (LD, Trent, Levy), so if he can get in and bang, who knows where he lands.

CMM
CJ
Chase
McKie
Desrosiers

CMM
CJ
McKie
Moto
Desrosiers

Chase will not be starting at the beginning of the season. If he does, we'll be throwing in the towel.

We are playing a 6'7" Travis a lot at the 4 this year, so seems like we could play Travis and Moto interchangably at the 3/4 next year if it gives us more rebounding. It would definitely make us more athletic, which is another area we need improvement in.

Agreed. If we could put Moto, Travis and Thomas at 3-5 it would be a huge upgrade in athleticism and rebounding.

Agreed. If we could put Moto, Travis and Thomas at 3-5 it would be a huge upgrade in athleticism and rebounding.

But none is big enough to stop a true center, so we'd be relying on two freshmen to double-team correctly, right?*

*Because I really know nothing about this stuff.

About the only thing I am comfortable predicting at this point is that Harris and McKie will both start and play a lot. All other spots are up for grabs.

About the only thing I am comfortable predicting at this point is that Harris and McKie will both start and play a lot. All other spots are up for grabs.

Pretty much. I also think Carson will start the year as our starting C simply by default. How long he actually remains there is anyone's guess.

How big is Thomas now?

But none is big enough to stop a true center, so we'd be relying on two freshmen to double-team correctly, right?*

*Because I really know nothing about this stuff.

Thomas told me that he is 6'9" 235. Since Carson doesn't really rebound or defend like a center anyhow I don't think we would hurt more having Thomas as a center.

If Carson take a big step forward (and, honestly, I think he has the skills, he just doesn't have the strength or confidence (and those two are likely related)) then we could be quite good next year.

If we can get 30 starter grade minutes out of Carson then we will be in very good shape.

Chase will not be starting at the beginning of the season. If he does, we'll be throwing in the towel.

He's starting now, which indicates that Bzz is willing to play his five best players regardless of position.

The only way he doesnt start is if Moto, Rountree or someone else steps up enough before game one to start at the 3/4 and bump him.

He's starting now, which indicates that Bzz is willing to play his five best players regardless of position.

The only way he doesnt start is if Moto, Rountree or someone else steps up enough before game one to start at the 3/4 and bump him.

Exactly. We don't have enough depth in the post or experience at SF to push Chase out of the starting lineup.

CMM
CJ
Chase
McKie
Desrosiers

CMM
CJ
McKie
Moto
Desrosiers

How does this make us better year over year. It is still CJ and McKie carrying the team with other guys rotating in and out. Unless CMM is truly that much better than what we have now. I'm okay with CJ at 2, and McKie at 3 and letting three freshmen grow up around them.

Back