• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL 2020-2021 Season Superbowl LV: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, QB Tom Brady Champs!

NFL 2020 Week 16. Merry Christmas Everyone!

The Football Team ruins another first round QB. I got into an argument with SkinsandDeacs about this after a Baylor bowl game when he was talking about them taking RG3.

Speculation here that Dortch could be activated this week.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2020/12/28/22202883/falcons-sign-wr-greg-dortch-to-practice-squad

Goff and Wentz falling out of favor got me looking back at QBs picked top 3 over the last several draft.

2014 Bortles
2015 Winston, Marriota
2016 Goff, Wentz
2017 Trubisky
2018 Mayfield, Darnold

Only one of those is guaranteed to be a starter for the team that drafted him. And it wouldn’t be surprising if Mayfield is the only starter at all.

Last edited:
But I don’t think this is on the WFT. They probably did all they could with him and he’s just not good. Their mistake was in drafting him in the first place.

The Football Team ruins another first round QB. I got into an argument with SkinsandDeacs about this after a Baylor bowl game when he was talking about them taking RG3.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2020/12/28/22202883/falcons-sign-wr-greg-dortch-to-practice-squad

Goff and Wentz falling out of favor got me looking back at QBs picked top 3 over the last several draft.

2014 Bortles
2015 Winston, Marriota
2016 Goff, Wentz
2017 Trubisky
2018 Mayfield, Darnold

Only one of those is guaranteed to be a starter for the team that drafted him. And it wouldn’t be surprising if Mayfield is the only starter at all.

Both of those picks are on Snyder. With RG3, Snyder empowered RG3 and favored him over his coach. Further feeding RG3's ego was detrimental to his development. And Snyder was the 1 in the organization (and maybe there were others) who was enamored with Haskins. Snyder's judgment in just about all matters regarding his franchise has shown to be awful. But it finally appears that he's relinquished football control to others and has brought in an accountable coach, just as the league is starting to build the case to nudge him out.

As for the QBs you listed, Mayfield will definitely be with the Browns for at least another 2 years. If I'm the NYJ, I've probably seen enough to pick up Darnold's 5th year option, unless I'm sold on Wilson. At this point Darnold > Fields, so trade back and pick up 1 of the top 2 WRs. And it's possible Trubisky could be back with Chi. My apologies to Bears fans. His late resurgence has been wild. I've never liked Goff, but apparently McVay does, and he'll be there for a while. Wentz is likely to be traded, presumably Indy. And I'm thinking Mariota might be a good bridge QB for whoever is drafting Lance or Fields. Mariota is interesting. He was always that Tyrod Taylor mobile QB who doesn't turn it over or win you games when he was at Ten. But he looked awfully good last week in relief of Carr.

I think the bridge QB is going to be more of a thing going forward. Instead of trying to make a Foles or Bridgewater into a franchise guy, it’s going to be perfectly reasonable to sign a guy for 2 years with the expectation that he will start one year and compete with a draft pick the next then move on to the next city.

Yeah, and there are a bunch of those decent but will never get you to the promised land QBs around these days - Bridgewater, Fitzmagic, Mariota, Alex Smith at this stage, Taylor, Foles except that once, Dalton, and I think Cousins will soon be in this category after Min moves on.

Both of those picks are on Snyder. With RG3, Snyder empowered RG3 and favored him over his coach. Further feeding RG3's ego was detrimental to his development. And Snyder was the 1 in the organization (and maybe there were others) who was enamored with Haskins. Snyder's judgment in just about all matters regarding his franchise has shown to be awful. But it finally appears that he's relinquished football control to others and has brought in an accountable coach, just as the league is starting to build the case to nudge him out.

As for the QBs you listed, Mayfield will definitely be with the Browns for at least another 2 years. If I'm the NYJ, I've probably seen enough to pick up Darnold's 5th year option, unless I'm sold on Wilson. At this point Darnold > Fields, so trade back and pick up 1 of the top 2 WRs. And it's possible Trubisky could be back with Chi. My apologies to Bears fans. His late resurgence has been wild. I've never liked Goff, but apparently McVay does, and he'll be there for a while. Wentz is likely to be traded, presumably Indy. And I'm thinking Mariota might be a good bridge QB for whoever is drafting Lance or Fields. Mariota is interesting. He was always that Tyrod Taylor mobile QB who doesn't turn it over or win you games when he was at Ten. But he looked awfully good last week in relief of Carr.

One other thing I remember re: RGIII and Washington-didn't he severely aggravate the knee injury he suffered in his rookie year because Snyder was too cheap to maintain his home field in a playable condition?

Ph - is Goff in hot water? I know he’s hurt but has he fallen out of favor in LA?

One other thing I remember re: RGIII and Washington-didn't he severely aggravate the knee injury he suffered in his rookie year because Snyder was too cheap to maintain his home field in a playable condition?

I was at that game. The field did look in poor condition, both that day and after. But Haloti Ngata just absolutely pulverized RG3 on that hit. I think the bigger issue was playing RG3 in that playoff game when he aggravated the injury. He just never looked like the same player after that.

Interesting fact. That was also the game that got Cam Cameron fired as our OC. Ozzie and Bisciotti had an argument with Harbs that if he didn't get rid of Cameron, it could also be him after the season. Harbs named Jim Caldwell the interim OC, which was his 1st OC stint, and we won the SB.

Probably not but people are posting about it on the Wolford starting thread. He’s not a top tier QB.

Apparently “Jared Goof” is a thing among Rams fans. Especially after inexplicable interceptions like yesterday’s.

2014 Bortles
2015 Winston, Marriota
2016 Goff, Wentz
2017 Trubisky
2018 Mayfield, Darnold

After yesterday's performance, I'm not as certain that Hurts has pushed Wentz out of Philly. After they first quarter, Hurts looked plenty lost. The one thing that Hurts has now is greater mobility and speed. Wentz had those before the knee injury and back injury. I wonder if Wentz is fully recovered, both physically and mentally from the injuries. How long does Hurts go before he gets injured?

Philly needs a lt of positions shored up. Start at corner/safety. It appears that there is maybe one guy who should be starting in the NFL. Also, some continuity on the Offensive line. 13 different combinations of guys this season is not good for keeping a quarterback upright and healthy. Much as it pains me, it is time for Jason Peters jersey to be in Canton, Ohio, not on the field.

After yesterday's performance, I'm not as certain that Hurts has pushed Wentz out of Philly. After they first quarter, Hurts looked plenty lost. The one thing that Hurts has now is greater mobility and speed. Wentz had those before the knee injury and back injury. I wonder if Wentz is fully recovered, both physically and mentally from the injuries. How long does Hurts go before he gets injured?

Philly needs a lt of positions shored up. Start at corner/safety. It appears that there is maybe one guy who should be starting in the NFL. Also, some continuity on the Offensive line. 13 different combinations of guys this season is not good for keeping a quarterback upright and healthy. Much as it pains me, it is time for Jason Peters jersey to be in Canton, Ohio, not on the field.

I think LB is a bigger weak spot than CB, but we ask our CBs to do way too much in the way of single coverage. I wouldn't mind seeing a first round LB, but we haven't done that in 40 years. OL is definitely another place to shore up.

It’s interesting how different franchises did things differently. The Panthers have taken a MLB in the high 1st round three times and OLB twice.

Ben Roethlisberger is sitting out the finale against the Browns, which essentially concedes a playoff spot to the Browns (line is now double digits).

Wonder if Myles Garrett will re-introduce himself to Mason Rudolph.

my great hope is that Philip Rivers finds himself in a position to lead the Colts to a playoff spot and once again comes up short in a critical moment

That’s less of a hope and more of a near certainty.

Ind plays Jax. As much as I think Rivers is over the hill and done, he's not losing that 1. And I don't think Bal, Cle or Ten lose. So it likely comes down to whether Buf rests its starters. If they play to win, I don't see Buf losing, which would make Ind the 7 seed at Buf in the 1st round. That's a guaranteed L.

Back