• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Conference Championships Thread

Anything to the helmet is going to be called now, it can be shoulder to the helmet, helmet to helmet, it can be a simple hand brushing against the quarterbacks helmet. Then there is defenseless receiver when already engaged with another player or you launch yourself in the air. The gif above is close but is only called into question because of how bullshit the NFL has become. Think about it the player has the ball turned looking has taken two steps, and Mayo just runs through him in the chest, not helmet, doesnt touch the helmet, doesn't launch it is a text book amazing hit, but the only reason we even think it may be bad is because the NFL likes to arbitrarily assign penalties to things like that now.

Agreed. The defenseless receiver rule is THE WORST. It rewards throwing high passes across the middle of the field that would normally be incomplete. The only thing that should be illegal is leading with your helmet.

I think people probably feel like that should have been a penalty because the one called earlier in the game was fairly similar to it and drew a penalty. I agree with your point and Tejas' point though that the refs are entirely inconsistent and the penalties are relatively arbitrary.

Inconsistency is the worst part of the rule. Trying to hit a moving target at full speed is not going to be perfect. The one thing you can control is not using your own helmet. I think that with the no leaving your feet rule are sufficient.

Falcons fan stabbed outside the Georgia dome by a Niners fan. If anybody can make a gif of the Falcons fan doing the throat slash, I promise to laugh at it all the time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/21/falcons-fan-stabbed-49ers-nfc-championship_n_2517626.html

s-FALCONS-FAN-STABBED-large.jpg

#ninerslogic #genius

"Way to dodge tintin's point. Seattle absolutely crushed you at CenturyLink after you squeaked out a win at Candlestick earlier in the season. Dying to play you all again the postseason. " --Jehovahswetness

Just as we all knew, the Seahawks were a great home team that couldn't do shit on the road. Too bad you guys couldn't get it done in the ATL. It's nice to know at least one team in the NFC West could get the job done. Start winning on the road and you might win the division.

Anything to the helmet is going to be called now, it can be shoulder to the helmet, helmet to helmet, it can be a simple hand brushing against the quarterbacks helmet. Then there is defenseless receiver when already engaged with another player or you launch yourself in the air. The gif above is close but is only called into question because of how bullshit the NFL has become. Think about it the player has the ball turned looking has taken two steps, and Mayo just runs through him in the chest, not helmet, doesnt touch the helmet, doesn't launch it is a text book amazing hit, but the only reason we even think it may be bad is because the NFL likes to arbitrarily assign penalties to things like that now.

First, there is no way you can call that two steps. One foot is on the ground as he catches it and the other hits the ground as he gets hit. It is 1/2 a step to one full step. That being said I think the hit was legal. His head jerks because of the force of the hit, not helmet to helmet.

Again my problem is there were three calls made earlier in the game that were in the "helmet to helmet-defenseless receiver range" One was absolutely correct. The other two were suspect. I just dont like it that an officiating crew can made that much of a wide array of calls on four hits that were pretty similar

Jesus, stop. Nantz hates the Pats. Simms is a clueless fuck. You're a Panthers fan who has clearly not been watching many CBS broadcasts in recent years. This particular duo was only just falling short of openly rooting for the Texans last week. You don't know what you're talking about.
You're wrong. Nantz and Simms are practically the hometown Pats announcers. Leslie Moonves was in Kraft's booth yesterday.

right. they won with balanced teams and a good smart qb who didn't make mistakes. since brady has been elevated to god status (and given control over the offense) they haven't won shit.

glad you agree

This is so simple-minded. The Patriots offense has been ridiculous over the last 6-7 years. Here are the the Football Outsiders Offensive Efficiency rankings since 2007.

2012: #1
2011: #3
2010: #1
2009: #1
2008: #7 (Cassel's year)
2007: #1

I mean...Christ. Now, have they choked in big games? Sure. Some of that's on Tom, some of it isn't. But since Brady's been elevated to "God" status, they've been perhaps the best offense of all time over a 6-year span.

As for the Vinatieri quote...it's so absurd, I'm just going to assume you're trolling. It's like saying that Roethlisberger hasn't won anything since Jeff Reed left.

Last edited:
Didn't know being a shithead kept you out of the hall of fame. Goodbye, everyone who isn't Cal Ripken.

"Way to dodge tintin's point. Seattle absolutely crushed you at CenturyLink after you squeaked out a win at Candlestick earlier in the season. Dying to play you all again the postseason. " --Jehovahswetness

Just as we all knew, the Seahawks were a great home team that couldn't do shit on the road. Too bad you guys couldn't get it done in the ATL. It's nice to know at least one team in the NFC West could get the job done. Start winning on the road and you might win the division.

You're not even fun to argue with. You talk in circles. "must suck being a seahawk fan lololol" ... "you suck on the road hahahahaha"

Topped off with your sweet neg rep comment "All fan bases have scum bags, still has to suck being a seahawk fan."

...you showed me

Vincent Lombardi Jr ‏@vlombardijr

Pretty cool fact that Ray Lewis first sack was Jim Harbaugh in 1996.

You're not even fun to argue with. You talk in circles. "must suck being a seahawk fan lololol" ... "you suck on the road hahahahaha"

Topped off with your sweet neg rep comment "All fan bases have scum bags, still has to suck being a seahawk fan."

...you showed me

You and your buddy tin-tin talked all week 17 about how the 49ers were trash and how no one wanted to play the seahawks. Well you went on the road and lost. I hate the seahawks and I want to rub it in all of your faces.

This is so simple-minded. The Patriots offense has been ridiculous over the last 6-7 years. Here are the the Football Outsiders Offensive Efficiency rankings since 2007.

2012: #1
2011: #3
2010: #1
2009: #1
2008: #7 (Cassel's year)
2007: #1

I mean...Christ. Now, have they choked in big games? Sure. Some of that's on Tom, some of it isn't. But since Brady's been elevated to "God" status, they've been perhaps the best offense of all time over a 6-year span.

As for the Vinatieri quote...it's so absurd, I'm just going to assume you're trolling. It's like saying that Roethlisberger hasn't won anything since Jeff Reed left.

damn, brady is the difference between the #7 offense and the #1 offense. that cassel guy must be pretty good, and his offenses must be top 10 after he left the patriots. right? it can't be the system. it just can't.

and i don't recall jeff reed hitting two impossible long field goals in the snow with 50 mph cross winds in the afc title game, or two game winning super bowl kicks at the gun, but i could be mistaken.

So sad.

Falcons will be back, they need help on defense. Would really be awesome if Tony G came back for another 2 seasons.

Could the Falcons be back? Sure. However, there is no possible way they are a better team next year than they were this year.

Schedule will be significantly harder, less likely to win as many close games, and other teams in the division will all be better. And this doesn't even take into account that Tony G will be gone and Michael Turner is pretty much just a corpse in pads.

I'll set the O/U for them on wins next year at 10.

Back