• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread: 2018 NFL Draft

But as an offensive coordinator, do you really turn down the opportunity to coach Luck if Luck is indeed healthy? Kraft is 76 years old, and though I've been saying it for years now, Brady can't possibly play forever. I'm just not sure it's worth turning down a head coaching opportunity when 3 of the main things that make the Patriots great could all be gone once Belichick retires.

But as an offensive coordinator, do you really turn down the opportunity to coach Luck if Luck is indeed healthy? Kraft is 76 years old, and though I've been saying it for years now, Brady can't possibly play forever. I'm just not sure it's worth turning down a head coaching opportunity when 3 of the main things that make the Patriots great could all be gone once Belichick retires.

If you got a raise and a promise to succeed Belichick after a certain number of years, and your wife and kids want to stay there, that could be enough. Add to that who would want to work for an Irsay. And he's most likely better off replacing Belichick in a place where he's a known and accepted commodity. When you're Parcells or Belichick, players will put up with your shite. McDaniels' personality and schtick wore thin in Denver very quickly. Same thing could well happen in Indy, especially with Pags being a respected coach there. So it could also be that Indy is dodging a bullet here too. But it really is a shitty thing to do to those 2 coaches Indy already has under contract. Then it'll be interesting to see what NE does in this draft at QB. Do they go after Rudolph if here is there at 31, or maybe Lauletta, White or Falk in the 3rd or 4th?

07, gotta disagree about Luck. He's been in an Eli situation for a few years where he has some good play makers at WR and TE but no OL or running game. You give Luck better protection and a little bit of a running game, and his production would go back up to where he was a few years ago.

Seeing reports that Frank Reich is on the Colts list. He'd be a good hire to lead a comeback season.

Yes. Teams with distractions have trouble winning. I think most would agree that Foles and Kaep are probably pretty similar in skill level, and Kaep probably would have been viewed as better before the past few weeks. Do you think the Eagles win the Super Bowl if it is Kaep replacing Wentz instead of Foles? No fucking way. That team would have been off the rails within the first two weeks with the circus surrounding him. If Kaep replaced Bridgewater/Bradford instead of Case Keenum, would the Vikings have gone as far as they did? Nope. Yet going in most would have viewed Kaep as much better than Keenum. A good team can win with one of those scrubs, they aren't winning with a major distraction.

And most NFL fans are closer to partying drunks, not activists. NFL fans view Gronk as a lovable partying drunk. An activist is going to be a bigger distraction in most professions than a partying drunk. If I party every night but show up to work and do my job, then most bosses aren't going to care. If I proactively attempt to use my employment as a public stage for my political views, then most bosses are going to care and I'm likely going to be fired. That may not be ideal, but it is reality.

The Eagles were one of the most unified and outspoken teams in support of Kaepernick and the protest. They would have been fine with Kaepernick.

If you got a raise and a promise to succeed Belichick after a certain number of years, and your wife and kids want to stay there, that could be enough. Add to that who would want to work for an Irsay. And he's most likely better off replacing Belichick in a place where he's a known and accepted commodity. When you're Parcells or Belichick, players will put up with your shite. McDaniels' personality and schtick wore thin in Denver very quickly. Same thing could well happen in Indy, especially with Pags being a respected coach there. So it could also be that Indy is dodging a bullet here too. But it really is a shitty thing to do to those 2 coaches Indy already has under contract. Then it'll be interesting to see what NE does in this draft at QB. Do they go after Rudolph if here is there at 31, or maybe Lauletta, White or Falk in the 3rd or 4th?

07, gotta disagree about Luck. He's been in an Eli situation for a few years where he has some good play makers at WR and TE but no OL or running game. You give Luck better protection and a little bit of a running game, and his production would go back up to where he was a few years ago.

You can't be a leader of a team, and a tremendous neard wearing donk. Show me where that has worked out before? Dude just doesn't have the moxy.

Good luck to whomever succeeds Belichick in New England.

That fanbase will be so unreasonable in its expectations that it will be a near impossible situation to walk into.

Kaep has a very different playing style from many of the QBs in the league. He is a runner first and passer second. Most QBs are passers first and runners second, many only if they absolutely have to run. The play calls and blocking schemes need to be different to take advantage of Kaeps skill set. Not many coaches would want to have to retool on the fly if he were to become the starter suddenly, like Foles. Pederson did revise his play calling to better fit Foles skill set, but it wasn't a wholesale revision of the offense.

Does Matt Ryan qualify as a donk? I'm no donk expert.

775778f562ec179236a7d49613618f60.jpg

What do you think?

Kaep has a very different playing style from many of the QBs in the league. He is a runner first and passer second. Most QBs are passers first and runners second, many only if they absolutely have to run. The play calls and blocking schemes need to be different to take advantage of Kaeps skill set. Not many coaches would want to have to retool on the fly if he were to become the starter suddenly, like Foles. Pederson did revise his play calling to better fit Foles skill set, but it wasn't a wholesale revision of the offense.

That's part of it. The Castro tee and his girlfriend referring to Steve Bisciotti as a slave owner the day after a Ravens tryout didn't help his cause either. And the other thing is you can't be a celebrity scrub unless you're Michael Jordan and you buy your team a bus. You just can't afford to have a back-up be the focus of most of the press inquiries. That's why Tebow and Michael Sams had to be let go.

Good luck to whomever succeeds Belichick in New England.

That fanbase will be so unreasonable in its expectations that it will be a near impossible situation to walk into.

hopefully they all kill each other in a rage

People say the Jimmy G thing but explain how it could be done better than what they did?

People say the Jimmy G thing but explain how it could be done better than what they did?

Got a friend who says the same thing. He claims the Pats turned town a better offer before the season started.

Yeah I think they probably did turn down a better offer from the Browns. The reasoning being they didn’t want him in the AFC, they were entering the season with a 40 year old quarterback let’s see how it goes first, and they really liked Jimmy and probably attempted to sign him. After Brady playing lights out and no movement on convincing Jimmy to sign, ride the bench and be Brady’s heir, they got what they could from an NFC team.

Got a friend who says the same thing. He claims the Pats turned town a better offer before the season started.

I think that's the general thought - they could have gotten more but turned down earlier offers and then went with San Francisco to get him out of the conference.

Yeah. I understand how Pats fans could be disappointed. It's a weird situation. When it all comes down to it, the Pats used Deflategate to flip 2nd and 3rd round pick geared toward the future for a 2nd round pick and Phillip Dorsett. That's really not a lot of return for 20 QB starts in one season.

And they don't have a QB of the future on the roster.

And Garrapolo played well enough that the Niners dropped several slots below where they'd be otherwise.

Last edited:
While I don’t blame the Patriots for this debacle, this is so typical of the Pats. I hope McDaniel enjoys New England, he will never get another team interested in him. What a dick.

Back