• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread: 2018 NFL Draft

Thinking about whether this was GOAT - just looking at this century's SBs...

2000: Rams over Titans - awesome
2001: Ravens/Giants - turd
2002: Pats/Rams - walk-off FB + Pats not yet evil = p good
2003: Bucs/Raiders - turd
2004: Pats/Panthers - meh (JJ's boob though)
2005: Pats/Eagles - meh
2006: Steelers/Seahawks - turd
2007: Colts/Bears - turd
2008: Giants/Pats - p good to see the Pats perfect season ruined, but it was a terrible game. Only jagoffs enjoy defensive struggles
2009: Steelers/Cardinals - great
2010: Saints/Colts - p good
2011: Packers/Steelers - meh
2012: Giants/Pats, again - meh
2013: Ravens/49ers - meh
2014: Seahawks/Broncos - meh
2015: Pats/Seahawks - good game, ruined by Seattle's choke job
2016: Broncos/Panthers - turd
2017: Pats/Falcons - turd
2018: Eagles/Pats - superb

So yeah, it's in the discussion, even if you did this for all SBs.

Someone's got some high standards. Jeebus.

Ravens-49ers was meh??? Patriots-Panthers???

Lol, Pats-Falcons last year was turd? Huh?

It's been the rare Super Bowl this century that hasn't been wildly entertaining. That seems to have been roughly the turning point, 20th century Super Bowls were blowout city

I think this Super Bowl was very accessible for a general audience which helps bring it to GOAT status. Lots of action. Can't leave your seat. This is the only Super Bowl I remember that my wife watched from beginning to end and was invested in the outcome. She knows enough about football, but does not care in the least.

This may have been posted earlier, but an article from the NYT on Friday about how the Eagles embrace analytics, and how many teams leave wins on the table with sub-optimal in game decisions, especially on fourth down:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/02/sports/football/eagles-analytics-super-bowl-lii.html

Poor rj

What's the point? One guy is a headache off the field and the other is not. Johnny Football threw for 1279 yards and 7 TDs in his last 6 starts, and he isn't on an NFL roster either. If your off the field distractions are more trouble than your production, you won't be on a team, that is not a difficult concept to grasp.

Pretty sure he was kneeling on the field, not off.

I think this Super Bowl was very accessible for a general audience which helps bring it to GOAT status. Lots of action. Can't leave your seat. This is the only Super Bowl I remember that my wife watched from beginning to end and was invested in the outcome. She knows enough about football, but does not care in the least.

Yeah. Casual fans I can get the love. As a football fan this was far too lacking in any type of defense -- I mean, most yards in any NFL game ever!! -- for it to be close to GOAT status for me

Like mentor like mentee.

Quite the longcon Deflategate revenge stunt

Apparently Pats reporter Mike Reiss is saying the opposite -- Beli hadn't committed to sticking around and thus McD was looking to get out, but now that Beli has said he's coming back McD is wiling to stick around

Because of the communistic, anti-fan, anti-excellence hard cap this is true. Not a single owner would ever limit his own earnings or ability to hire someone for his non-football companies. Nor would they penalize any company they for excellence in hiring or products by saying no more cash.

The NFL should replace their shield with the communist hammer and sickle.

Sure, it's anti fan. good one!

Saw this pop up on Facebook. Thought it was interesting.

06f9fa7f315ef887bd83569e594fb404.jpg

I loved Kaepernick but the team had around him was 20 times better to what Garoppolo just had to play with.

I feel the same way.

So you’re comparing a partying drunk to an activist?

And you’d rather have Nathan Peterman and these other scrubs compared to Kaep?

Yes. Teams with distractions have trouble winning. I think most would agree that Foles and Kaep are probably pretty similar in skill level, and Kaep probably would have been viewed as better before the past few weeks. Do you think the Eagles win the Super Bowl if it is Kaep replacing Wentz instead of Foles? No fucking way. That team would have been off the rails within the first two weeks with the circus surrounding him. If Kaep replaced Bridgewater/Bradford instead of Case Keenum, would the Vikings have gone as far as they did? Nope. Yet going in most would have viewed Kaep as much better than Keenum. A good team can win with one of those scrubs, they aren't winning with a major distraction.

And most NFL fans are closer to partying drunks, not activists. NFL fans view Gronk as a lovable partying drunk. An activist is going to be a bigger distraction in most professions than a partying drunk. If I party every night but show up to work and do my job, then most bosses aren't going to care. If I proactively attempt to use my employment as a public stage for my political views, then most bosses are going to care and I'm likely going to be fired. That may not be ideal, but it is reality.

Last edited:
Yes. Teams with distractions have trouble winning. I think most would agree that Foles and Kaep are probably pretty similar in skill level, and Kaep probably would have been viewed as better before the past few weeks. Do you think the Eagles win the Super Bowl if it is Kaep replacing Wentz instead of Foles? No fucking way. That team would have been off the rails within the first two weeks with the circus surrounding him. If Kaep replaced Bridgewater/Bradford instead of Case Keenum, would the Vikings have gone as far as they did? Nope. Yet going in most would have viewed Kaep as much better than Keenum. A good team can win with one of those scrubs, they aren't winning with a major distraction.

This is all just bullshit #feelings.

Apparently Pats reporter Mike Reiss is saying the opposite -- Beli hadn't committed to sticking around and thus McD was looking to get out, but now that Beli has said he's coming back McD is wiling to stick around

I also think it's likely that he's been informed he's the next coach when Belichick retires, much like DeCosta being the GM in waiting after Ozzie retires in Baltimore. After a poor tenure in Denver, jilting the Colts like this is a 2nd mark against him in terms of future HC interviews elsewhere. Could also be that he soured on Luck's health, but I'm betting it's more likely that Kraft has made him some promises.

That has to be it. You don’t just turn down an NFL coaching job particularly in a landscape where it’s possible to make huge gains in a short period of time (unless you’re the Browns).

I also think it's likely that he's been informed he's the next coach when Belichick retires, much like DeCosta being the GM in waiting after Ozzie retires in Baltimore. After a poor tenure in Denver, jilting the Colts like this is a 2nd mark against him in terms of future HC interviews elsewhere. Could also be that he soured on Luck's health, but I'm betting it's more likely that Kraft has made him some promises.

If Reiss is right it seems a little weird to me he would've gotten this confirmation now once Belichick has committed but wouldn't have had it before when there was doubt if Bill would come back. But who knows.

Pats did make a late push to keep him apparently, maybe that was part of it

Last edited:
Back