• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread: 2018 NFL Draft

i woke up pissed in the middle of the night last night, because i dreamed the Browns drafted a "two-way" punter with the 1st selection! Took me a while to let it go, and get some sleep.

Browns (maybe just Dorsey) really enjoying all this talk about them and what they're gonna do at #1. Does make for good entertainment to keep everyone guessing but not sure how it really helps them - maybe they are looking to smokescreen so everyone will have to react more quickly and they'll have contingency plans for #4

Shefter was saying this a.m. that the rumors have been pointing to them taking Mayfield at 1. If they do, then Dorsey is crazy. The QB I like most is Allen and then Rosen. The only ding I'd have on Rosen is his injury history and lack of mobility. I think Jackson could be intriguing, though I'd worry he'll get broken in half if he continues to run like RG3 - needs to be more judicious like Wilson. Of the lot at top, Mayfield is the most likely to bust. If the Pats don't move up, I can see them taking Rudolph late 1st or Lauletta late 2nd. Lauletta could be good.

lamar will be the best qb in this draft

I'll admit I don't know that much about the top QBs aside from Mayfield and Jackson. Jackson seems to have the highest ceiling and Mayfield seems to have the lowest floor. Mayfield seems like he could be exposed as hard working walk-on who is completely outclassed by pro talent. Jackson could step on an NFL field and it could become completely obvious that he was a pro talent who propped up a bunch of mediocre college talents around him at Louisville. I think he'll be an absolute beast with an NFL OL and NFL skill position players.

I just don't think it's that hard to identify top talents. I think NFL execs overthink it. A Bears fan buddy of mine and I have been discussing this all year. Nobody who watched ACC football thought Mitch Trubinsky was a better QB than Deshaun Watson. Nobody. But NFL brass looked at some measurables and their idea of what a QB should be and the Bears fooled themselves into thinking that even at 6-3/220 Watson wasn't an ideal QB like 6-3/220 Trubinsky.

Jackson is an unreal talent. Here's a crazy stat. Jackson hasn't played on offense with a single NFL draft pick. Only 3 Louisville players were picked in the last two drafts, a DB, DL, and LS. A quick look at prospects shows no offensive players are expected to be drafted. If Jackson lands on a good team, watch out. I'm going to be so pissed if the Pats or Saints find a way to get him. He'll get a "redshirt" year behind Brady/Brees and then dominate for the next 10 years.

I like how millions upon millions of dollars are spent to scout players, an entire industry exists, this is peoples professional job but somehow Ph has broken it down to “easy”

Jackson and Allen aren’t accurate enough to be good NFL QBs, especially Allen. You can’t fix inaccurate at this stage of development.

I like how millions upon millions of dollars are spent to scout players, an entire industry exists, this is peoples professional job but somehow Ph has broken it down to “easy”

Oh no, a bunch of people in a lucrative sector make up work for them to do to justify getting paid lots of money!!!!!

Jackson is just so slight, I'm not sure how his body holds up in the NFL.

Bears trading up one slot to take Trubisky with Watson in the draft was super dumb. Wonder if any team will outdo that one this year.

Really pulling for Shaquem Griffin. Would be awesome to see him have a good career.

Jackson and Allen aren’t accurate enough to be good NFL QBs, especially Allen. You can’t fix inaccurate at this stage of development.

I'm less concerned about Allen's accuracy after Senior Bowl week. He played with a mediocre team and has the size and athleticism.

Gossett, that's what makes the NFL draft so fun. We watch these guys in college, and we go crazy every spring saying these NFL execs have no idea what they're doing. I'll also say in Ph's defense that I watched Watson put 40 twice on 1 of the greatest college defenses ever, so I also thought he'd be a good pro. As for Jackson, I like him and think he could be a good pro QB. His throwing motion is a bit strange, but he's been pretty accurate in college. My biggest worry for him is that he'll only actually plan in 50-75% of his pro games because he has a thin build that isn't suited to taking the big hits he'll get at the next level. If you draft him or Rosen, you'll have to be committed to keeping a solid #2 around.

Jackson is just so slight, I'm not sure how his body holds up in the NFL.

Bears trading up one slot to take Trubisky with Watson in the draft was super dumb. Wonder if any team will outdo that one this year.

Jackson bulked up a bit between the bowl game and the combine. He came in at the combine at 6-2 1/4, 216. That's just a little bit smaller than Trubinsky and Watson.

So I am correct that you think you are a better talent evaluator than the people that are paid to evaluate talent, pretty classic Ph.

If I were a Browns fan I think I'd want Mayfield or Allen, despite the Manziel comparisons with Baker. I thought Darnold was pretty bad last year, and got exposed by a dominant OSU front 7 in the bowl game. The last thing the Browns need is another turnover machine. And Rosen has specifically said he doesn't want to play there, and really doesn't seem to care that much about playing football in general.

Because of his proven success and competitiveness, give me Baker at 1 over Allen's size and arm talent (and tweets).

I'm just pulling for all these QBs to go to the AFC. Too damn many good QBs in the NFC and outside of Brady (old)/Big Ben (old)/Luck (if he ever plays again)/Watson the rest of the AFC QBs are not great.

Gossett, that's what makes the NFL draft so fun. We watch these guys in college, and we go crazy every spring saying these NFL execs have no idea what they're doing. .

I mean I agree that it’s fun, and everyone has their players that they just knew would be good and they end up that they are, but all the players that they fail with in their hype never see the light of day again because who really cares. It just asinine to dismiss that something is easy because you had some pet player that turns out to be good.

It’s also discounting team needs and fits, as well as coaching. The browns are the browns because of management and coaching as much as it is about talent. Watson could have ended up with the Browns and the Jets and never turned into the player he may turn into because he doesn’t have the coaching of a talented offensive qb guy like Bill O’Brien and was instead stuck with fucking Hue Jackson.

So I am correct that you think you are a better talent evaluator than the people that are paid to evaluate talent, pretty classic Ph.

I don't think "I" am. I think fans in general are better evaluators of QB talent. It's the most high profile position. I think the professionals are better at evaluating other positions.

Pretty classic Louis Gossett Jr to completely misinterpret my posts.

Back