• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread: 2018 NFL Draft

Allen is the safest and Mayfield has the highest ceiling???

Agree about Darnold. But for me, it's the fumbles more than the picks. He's extremely loose with the football. That's why I still think Allen is the safest choice. Mayfield may have 1 of the highest ceilings of the bunch, but he also has 1 of the lowest floors because of his personality issues. And Rosen and Jackson will both have durability issues. That's why, with Tyrod in place, it may not be so crazy to go Barkley, Chubb and Lauletta in the 2nd.

Are Giants taking Chubb if Barkley is off the table?

Browns can't pass up on QB again. That approach has gotten them nowhere the last two years

Browns can't pass up on QB again. That approach has gotten them nowhere the last two years

Because taking QBs has gotten the job done? Not passing on QBs doesn't help if they take the wrong ones.

I agree with this. They keep finding themselves in this cycle because they keep outsmarting themselves thinking they'll be able to get a quality QB starter in rounds 2-3 (or at least late round 1). They need to take a top guy.

Are Giants taking Chubb if Barkley is off the table?

I don't think they take Chubb at #2. Maybe if they trade down and he is still there, but they just unloaded JPP for a 3rd round pick and Chubb isn't better than JPP, regardless of both hand and contract issues. If Barkley is gone I think they take Darnold/Rosen or try to trade down to get Quenton Nelson plus another pick.

Because taking QBs has gotten the job done? Not passing on QBs doesn't help if they take the wrong ones.

I think it was the Around the NFL podcast that detailed since the Tim Couch draft the Browns haven't drafted a QB higher than like pick #21 (I didn't fact check this) but assuming that's true, they've had plenty of chances to draft one of the higher rated prospects and they continue to pass them over where the odds are much greater it'll actually work out

I don't think they take Chubb at #2. Maybe if they trade down and he is still there, but they just unloaded JPP for a 3rd round pick and Chubb isn't better than JPP, regardless of both hand and contract issues. If Barkley is gone I think they take Darnold/Rosen or try to trade down to get Quenton Nelson plus another pick.

Wouldn't unloading JPP make them more likely to draft a DE?

I think it was the Around the NFL podcast that detailed since the Tim Couch draft the Browns haven't drafted a QB higher than like pick #21 (I didn't fact check this) but assuming that's true, they've had plenty of chances to draft one of the higher rated prospects and they continue to pass them over where the odds are much greater it'll actually work out

Maybe, but regardless of where they've picked, they've passed over good QBs.

Jets are taking a QB no matter what. Allen, Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield?

Rumors floating that Browns will take Baker.

Yeah, I watched (but not live). Not good. If Jackson were playing receiver he wouldn't have caught any of his own passes.

If your team needs a QB and they draft Jackson you've got to be calling for the GM's head.

This is my thought as well. Accuracy is important(regardless of what Ph says). Jackson looks like another Dennis Dixon to me.

Where did I say accuracy isn't important?

Where did I say accuracy isn't important?

To be fair, you didn't state this directly. I inferred this after years of QB discussions (including those involving Hinton) and the fact that you could describe Jackson as "an unreal talent" who "will be an absolute beast" and "dominate for the next 10 years" despite obvious accuracy issues.

I could see the Browns take Mayfield. The NYG call the NYJ and say, if you want Sam it'll cost you. Just like Da Bears had to do to get Trubinsky last year. Both get who they always wanted and NYG can rebuild that awful OL.

Back