• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread: 2018 NFL Draft

Jackson has a lot lower floor than Mayfield.

Completely disagree. Jackson's floor is an elite athlete at QB who can make plays with his feet but struggles with his accuracy. Mayfield's floor is an outclassed athlete with off the field issues.

I think Mayfield will be really good. He’s very accurate and has great pocket sense. All really good Qbs have the ability to feel the rush and subtly move to avoid it. Mayfield has that ability. I believe he’s the best QB in this class.

Completely disagree. Jackson's floor is an elite athlete at QB who can make plays with his feet but struggles with his accuracy. Mayfield's floor is an outclassed athlete with off the field issues.

Jackson's floor, as you described it, basically ensures he'll be on the sidelines or on a practice squad his whole career.

Baker goes to Columbus, passes for 386 yards and 3 TDs, which sends his team to the Rose Bowl four months later, and plants the OU flag at the 50.

Lamar is an "elite athlete" whose team lost to NC State, BC, and Wake Forest last season.

Either guy will need a system drawn up around him.

Think Jackson is generally undervalued, but also like Mayfield. Yes, he has some issues, but Mayfield has a big upside and is a lot more athletic than anyone wants to give him credit for.

Jackson's athleticism is tempting, but successful QB's in the NFL sit in the pocket, make reads quickly, and make throws. I'm not sure Jackson can do that, because he's never hadto do that - he could always jet. In a weird way, his athleticism works against him as a pocket passer. So what are we saying - Jackson's floor is Kordell Stewart and his ceiling is Michael Vick?

I'm kind of a Tyrod Taylor fan. He's not an elite QB, but he's solid and responsible with the ball. If I were Cleveland, I would be tempted to go Barkley #1 and DE Chubb at #4. Make your team better with sure things, and let TT be a game manager for you. The NFL has a very poor history of actually identifying QB talent: Brady (sat behind Drew Bledsoe, Brees, R Wilson, Favre (traded; sat behind Majic man), Montana, Stabler were all taken after R1. For every obvious HOF pick like Peyton Manning, there is a bust like Ryan Leaf looking just as good on draft day.

Cleveland has a poor track record/luck getting a good QB. Barkley will make TT better. Cleveland fan at lunch: "I would not be upset by that."

Jackson's athleticism is tempting, but successful QB's in the NFL sit in the pocket, make reads quickly, and make throws. I'm not sure Jackson can do that, because he's never hadto do that - he could always jet. In a weird way, his athleticism works against him as a pocket passer. So what are we saying - Jackson's floor is Kordell Stewart and his ceiling is Michael Vick?

I'm kind of a Tyrod Taylor fan. He's not an elite QB, but he's solid and responsible with the ball. If I were Cleveland, I would be tempted to go Barkley #1 and DE Chubb at #4. Make your team better with sure things, and let TT be a game manager for you. The NFL has a very poor history of actually identifying QB talent: Brady (sat behind Drew Bledsoe, Brees, R Wilson, Favre (traded; sat behind Majic man), Montana, Stabler were all taken after R1. For every obvious HOF pick like Peyton Manning, there is a bust like Ryan Leaf looking just as good on draft day.

Cleveland has a poor track record/luck getting a good QB. Barkley will make TT better. Cleveland fan at lunch: "I would not be upset by that."

Vick ? I think you mean Marcus Vick, not Michael ? I think he's got a little higher ceiling than that.

Mayfield best quarterback in the class if he goes anywhere but the Browns or Jets, goes to either of those dead in the water.

Jackson's floor, as you described it, basically ensures he'll be on the sidelines or on a practice squad his whole career.

Baker goes to Columbus, passes for 386 yards and 3 TDs, which sends his team to the Rose Bowl four months later, and plants the OU flag at the 50.

Lamar is an "elite athlete" whose team lost to NC State, BC, and Wake Forest last season.

Either guy will need a system drawn up around him.

Like I said above, Lamar hasn't played with another NFL prospect. BC and State each had 1st round DEs. Wake had a 1st or 2nd round safety.

Jackson spent his career running away from stud defensive players because he was playing with less talented teammates. He's going to be very good on a unit on which he's not clearly the best player.

Definitely agree the Browns should take Barkley and Chubb. Both have a shot at being Pro Bowl level players as rookies. Tyrod is a solid QB. Pick a QB later or wait and see if you even need to next year.

Agree that Browns will be dumb not to pick Barkley. Need to get Barkley and a QB with 2 of those top picks.

We all agree with what the Browns should do but still, they'll find a way to eff it all up.

Did anyone actually watch Jackson throw at the combine? I watched it live, and he was horrible. Like, I haven't played the QB position in 12 years, and am almost positive I could have done better with a week's training (pressure included). I believe he was in the same group as Allen, too, which made it look even more embarrassing.

Agree that Browns will be dumb not to pick Barkley. Need to get Barkley and a QB with 2 of those top picks.

They're not likely to get the QB of their choice if they take Barkley first. Jets will get first choice of QB if they take Barkley. Giants will take Barkley if they take a QB.

I'm less concerned about Allen's accuracy after Senior Bowl week. He played with a mediocre team and has the size and athleticism.

Gossett, that's what makes the NFL draft so fun. We watch these guys in college, and we go crazy every spring saying these NFL execs have no idea what they're doing. I'll also say in Ph's defense that I watched Watson put 40 twice on 1 of the greatest college defenses ever, so I also thought he'd be a good pro. As for Jackson, I like him and think he could be a good pro QB. His throwing motion is a bit strange, but he's been pretty accurate in college. My biggest worry for him is that he'll only actually plan in 50-75% of his pro games because he has a thin build that isn't suited to taking the big hits he'll get at the next level. If you draft him or Rosen, you'll have to be committed to keeping a solid #2 around.
lolwut

I thought this was a really good article by Bill Barnwell yesterday regarding drafting Barkley so high and discussing the economics of NFL contracts for QBs and RBs. There is absolutely nothing more valuable to an NFL team than an elite, cost controlled QB. Wentz has the Eagles set up so well for the next three years before he has to get paid. That's why these QBs are overdrafted year after year when there are better football players at other positions available.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...eally-take-saquon-barkley-second-overall-pick

Did anyone actually watch Jackson throw at the combine? I watched it live, and he was horrible. Like, I haven't played the QB position in 12 years, and am almost positive I could have done better with a week's training (pressure included). I believe he was in the same group as Allen, too, which made it look even more embarrassing.

Yeah, I watched (but not live). Not good. If Jackson were playing receiver he wouldn't have caught any of his own passes.

If your team needs a QB and they draft Jackson you've got to be calling for the GM's head.

Last edited:
Concerned about Barkley. He threw a ton of picks; he looked like a long way from an NFL QB last year; nothing like the QB that carved up Penn State the year before. IMO, he's far from a sure thing.

Don't like Rosen.

Concerned about Barkley. He threw a ton of picks; he looked like a long way from an NFL QB last year; nothing like the QB that carved up Penn State the year before. IMO, he's far from a sure thing.

Don't like Rosen.

Barkley threw a ton of picks?

Damn! He's the Adrian Peterson AND QB???

My bad. Darnold.

Agree about Darnold. But for me, it's the fumbles more than the picks. He's extremely loose with the football. That's why I still think Allen is the safest choice. Mayfield may have 1 of the highest ceilings of the bunch, but he also has 1 of the lowest floors because of his personality issues. And Rosen and Jackson will both have durability issues. That's why, with Tyrod in place, it may not be so crazy to go Barkley, Chubb and Lauletta in the 2nd.

Back