• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread -Tom Brady beats the NFL

Not sure if it's the $$ with Jones. He'd make > $$ in the long run if he went back to school, started next year and made himself into a 1st round pick. I think this means he spoke with Urban and Urban told him Barrett was likely to be the starter. He ain't gonna further his career by sitting in college. Makes more sense to get drafted somewhere on day 2 or 3 and start getting reps in a pro style offense.

Not sure if it's the $$ with Jones. He'd make > $$ in the long run if he went back to school, started next year and made himself into a 1st round pick. I think this means he spoke with Urban and Urban told him Barrett was likely to be the starter. He ain't gonna further his career by sitting in college. Makes more sense to get drafted somewhere on day 2 or 3 and start getting reps in a pro style offense.

I don't know if he'll be any good in the NFL, but this is right. What good is more time in a very college offense going to do? He's physically as ready as he needs to be. He'd be better off learning a pro playbook than a spread.

Get paid to be a backup or don't get paid to be a backup.

Reporter on the West Coast saying that Gase is NOT going to the Niners as OC. And other national reporters as well as ESPN's Vaughn McClure reporting that Gase will have another intvw with Atlanta for their vacant OC position. Interesting if true as he is apparently okay with being picked over as a HC and will consider teaming up with Matt Ryan. But not sure what's going on with Denver and if his is in running to get the HC job. Isn't Kubiak the favorite in Elway's eyes?

Crazy NFL Coaching Carousel...round and round it goes!! Wheeeeee!!!

Falcons pre-selecting their OC, keeping Armstrong and Tice, would they be allowed to even speak w/ Dan Quinn via back channels?

Reporter on the West Coast saying that Gase is NOT going to the Niners as OC. And other national reporters as well as ESPN's Vaughn McClure reporting that Gase will have another intvw with Atlanta for their vacant OC position. Interesting if true as he is apparently okay with being picked over as a HC and will consider teaming up with Matt Ryan. But not sure what's going on with Denver and if his is in running to get the HC job. Isn't Kubiak the favorite in Elway's eyes?

Crazy NFL Coaching Carousel...round and round it goes!! Wheeeeee!!!

Yeah, Kubiak and Elway were roommates I think back in the day as players. Kubiak was happy enough in Balmur to tell other teams to shove it, but I gotta think he'd at least go talk to John, even if it is to say no due to health concerns. But yeah, I'm worried, especially because he'd take Dennison with him as his OC. And if Austin gets a HC gig, he might raid our defensive staff as well. I swear the Ravens have got to lead the league in lost staff due to promotions the last 10-15 years. Marvin, Del Rio, Nolan, Singletary, Rex, Pettine, Smith, Pags, Caldwell, Austin off the top of my head. And Spagnuolo is reportedly 1 of the 2 candidates for the Giants DC gig, but most of us would be happy if he got that.

That the Broncos want Kubiak I believe means they no longer want Peyton, despite what Elway is saying. Manning hates change, and Gase apparently isn't a candidate - so that means a whole new system. And Kubiak is a West Coast type of guy who wants things specifically done his way, and he likes to move his QBs around a bit. Peyton doesn't want to move around unless it's in the pocket, wants to do things his way and wants to audible whenever he feels like it. Kubiak and Peyton are a lousy fit. Add to that I believe Houston was 1 of the teams Peyton was potentially interested in 3 years ago, but Houston instead chose to stick with Schaub. So Peyton will prolly either retire or look for another team, and I'm not seeing an attractive other team, except maybe Houston.

It's really weird the 49ers promoted an assistant yet are completely changing the rest of their staff

It's really weird the 49ers promoted an assistant yet are completely changing the rest of their staff

Yeah, but I'm guessing they informally took the temperature of the locker room, and that's the guy the players really wanted. But Fangio will definitely be looking elsewhere. Maybe with Washington as their DC, Austin if he gets a HC gig or maybe back in Balmur in some capacity. And it'll be interesting to see what they do in terms of an OC and QB coach with Kaepernick seriously regressing this past season.

I think that the mass staff departures are at least partially because he was a position coach (DL), instead of the OC or DC. It's one thing to hire a coordinator, who is 2nd in command. In that case, it's easy for those working under him to continue in their roles. Very unusual for a position coach to move up to HC. Now, he would be the boss to both the OC and DC, after working under them; they are not sticking around for that. In addition, most of the other assistants (unless one of them is going to be promoted to OC or DC) don't want to work for someone that was their equal previously. Hiring a position coach makes the work-place dynamic odd.

Last edited:
The 49ers will not be good, likely losing Crabtree as well

The 49ers will not be good, likely losing Crabtree as well

I wouldn't go as far as to say they won't be good. They're just in a ridiculous division. They still have so many playmakers on defense.

I wouldn't go as far as to say they won't be good. They're just in a ridiculous division. They still have so many playmakers on defense.

Don't they have a terrible cap problem aka cannot hold on to that Defensive talent much longer?

Don't they have a terrible cap problem aka cannot hold on to that Defensive talent much longer?

there are plenty of ways out without sacrificing their younger, cheaper defensive talent

Townie.... Do you think Suh is leaving the Lions???

Townie.... Do you think Suh is leaving the Lions???

In a word, no. Mayhew says they'd literally give him whatever he wanted.

ETA: the franchise tag actually seems likely

Back