• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Super Bowl XLIX Sunday Game Thread

Throwing the ball is OK, just don't throw it right into the middle of the defense. There's so little room to work with in the end zone, gotta go to the outside

That's part of it being such a bad call. It was a bad call not to run it with Lynch, it was an even worse call to try that particular play. Running that play it was pretty much a given that a defender would be close, a quick hard throw like that has more potential to be bobbled up in the air and picked off, too. Carroll said one reason they threw was because the Pats had their goal line package in, so wouldn't that make the outside the weakest part of the defense to attack? If you were going to throw, that fade where only the Seattle receiver can catch it or it falls incomplete is the only pass call that makes sense. It was just the wrong call no matter how you look at it in my opinion.

There's great potential for advanced stats in football, but the big difference is taking into account 11 vs. 11 instead of pitcher vs. hitter or 5 vs. 5.

Well playcalling is such a bigger deal in football than baseball and basketball too. I feel like advanced analytics are more useful in the latter two sports w.r.t. roster building than most in game decisions.

Malcom Butler said that they knew the Seahawks have thrown on 4th and 1 and knew what potential play they were running. Said they knew it was a pick play and the reason why Browner jams at the line is to eliminate the rub on him. Also Butler said he was beat in practice with that play and Belichick told him he has to make that play and beat his man to the spot. Wouldn't surprise me with the amount of film Belichick digests.

Well playcalling is such a bigger deal in football than baseball and basketball too. I feel like advanced analytics are more useful in the latter two sports w.r.t. roster building than most in game decisions.

Yeah. I'm curious when the NFL is going to utilize the SportVU technology. That could help dramatically with playcalling. If coaches could incorporate real plays into some type of Madden-like simulator and change up variables based on player tendencies and such, that would be incredible.

My understanding is that a lot of the line stuff is hard to reliably and usefully quantify.

*Disclaimer* I'm no game theory expert, though. *Disclaimer*

My understanding is that a lot of the line stuff is hard to reliably and usefully quantify.

Good point. You'd need the camera to recognize how they're using their hands and feet, not just their position on the field. But it would be very useful for the passing game on both sides of the field.

Malcom Butler said that they knew the Seahawks have thrown on 4th and 1 and knew what potential play they were running. Said they knew it was a pick play and the reason why Browner jams at the line is to eliminate the rub on him. Also Butler said he was beat in practice with that play and Belichick told him he has to make that play and beat his man to the spot. Wouldn't surprise me with the amount of film Belichick digests.

Or, more likely, that the Patriots were spying on the Seahawks' practices.

went back and found your "bet" proposal

i doubt anyone would agree to these dumb terms, because run/run wasn't the only other viable option on the table to finish the game

as many have said, pass isn't the worst idea on second down though the play call was abysmal even given the package

still, run pass run is still on the table with a timeout too

Cept if you run first you know 3rd down has to be a pass. Guess they didnt have these types of questions on the SATs

keep reading palma, you were incorrect even on the terms of your own dumb bet

Interesting point someone made...lets say Bill B wasn't gonna use his timeout.

If you run on 2nd down, call a T.O. w/ about 15-18 secs left if you don't score. Then you're gonna HAVE to throw it. I'm not sure why they wouldn't give Russell an option to run/throw

10406685_870648162981873_4434371057416389060_n.jpg

Anybody else surprised Gronkowski didn't get thrown out of the game, even though his punches were in retaliation?

superbowl-2015-fight.gif

Anybody else surprised Gronkowski didn't get thrown out of the game, even though his punches were in retaliation?

superbowl-2015-fight.gif

The best part of that is Slater trying to stop things and then just deciding to jump up and down and celebrate instead.

Back