• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL wildcards

I'm hearing MCL tear. Not ACL.

Either way, I'm in the minority but I dont really have a problem with the way the whole thing went down, either from Shannahan's perspective, or RG3. We got beat by a better team. He played banged up, he tried to give it a go, we had so much on the line and this is what you are paid to do. I don't believe we would have won the game with Cousins. He was probably at like 60-70% tops, but if you are remotely healthy enough to be on the field, by all means, go out there and try to win it. Valiant effort, ballsy by Shannahan to stand behind him. We just aren't quite there yet but the future is bright if RG can get healthy.

How many draft picks do the skins have in the upcoming draft? If they have a good draft and RG comes back healthy look out.

I'm hearing MCL tear. Not ACL.

Either way, I'm in the minority but I dont really have a problem with the way the whole thing went down, either from Shannahan's perspective, or RG3. We got beat by a better team. He played banged up, he tried to give it a go, we had so much on the line and this is what you are paid to do. I don't believe we would have won the game with Cousins. He was probably at like 60-70% tops, but if you are remotely healthy enough to be on the field, by all means, go out there and try to win it. Valiant effort, ballsy by Shannahan to stand behind him. We just aren't quite there yet but the future is bright if RG can get healthy.

so much on the line? RG3's knee as a rookie is more important than the opportunity to get your ass beat in the next round of the playoffs.

You dont take the playoffs for granted. There are no guarantees we will be back there next year or in years to come even with a fully healthy RG3. You try to win the game. Its easy to sit back now and look at the way the game went and say it was a mistake. But I would be much more frustrated if we pulled him up 14-0 and we lose anyway. Its not an easy call but I'm OK with it. We've all got 8 months to lick our wounds and come back stronger. At least we know we have the balls to give ourselves a shot when the stakes are high.

EDIT: and now hearing he could be out all next year. Regardless, its a tough call. If its an ACL, I dont see how it could have been avoided since it is a compeltely different injury.

Last edited:
What a shame if it is ACL/some other serious knee injury. A guy who exemplifies everything you would want out of a rookie QB and leader.

I'm hearing PCL/ACL. Done for 2013. I can't figure out if DC or Wake is more cursed.

You dont take the playoffs for granted. There are no guarantees we will be back there next year or in years to come even with a fully healthy RG3. You try to win the game. Its easy to sit back now and look at the way the game went and say it was a mistake. But I would be much more frustrated if we pulled him up 14-0 and we lose anyway. Its not an easy call but I'm OK with it. We've all got 8 months to lick our wounds and come back stronger. At least we know we have the balls to give ourselves a shot when the stakes are high.

EDIT: and now hearing he could be out all next year. Regardless, its a tough call. If its an ACL, I dont see how it could have been avoided since it is a compeltely different injury.

You do try to win the game. A good coach realizes that Cousins gave the team the best chance to win in the second half (or immediately after the TD that made it 14-0) . This is not hindsight -- I was legitimately shocked during the game that Shanahan played RGIII in the second half, especially after that hobbled 8 yd jog.

If true that RGIII is out next season, Shanahan has to go.

Last edited:
You play him if it's the Super Bowl. You strongly consider it if it's the NFC Championship. Not for a Wild Card game. You didn't mortgage your future in this guy for this one window in the playoffs. He will get you back to playoffs again if he stays healthy. The pooch was screwed here, big time.

That run he attempted in the second half where he basically limped to safety should have been the last straw. At that point, a healthy Cousins gives you a better shot than a one legged RG3.

What a shame if RGIII has to miss all next year. The game was within reach, but he was obv hurting. Not sure you can ever foreshadow a play like that though. Such a strange play to just twist and fall out. I guess this makes Shanny look like a genius though for grabbing Cousins last year. Now there will be a QB battle in 2014.

You play him if it's the Super Bowl. You strongly consider it if it's the NFC Championship. Not for a Wild Card game. You didn't mortgage your future in this guy for this one window in the playoffs. He will get you back to playoffs again if he stays healthy. The pooch was screwed here, big time.

I can see why its so easy to say this having witnessed the outcome. But I dont think they were ever weighing the consequences of losing him for an entire season. Blame that on the coach, if you want, but the kid played in two games looking very similar to yesterday healthwise and the doctors are telling you he is at no additional risk for further injury. You dont get to the NFC championship without winning playoff games. You dont get to where you are without RG3 playing. Its a tough call.

Well since Skins fans are alright with mortgaging the future of RG3, while everyone else is horrified, maybe they have the perfect coach and the one they deserve.

I can see why its so easy to say this having witnessed the outcome. But I dont think they were ever weighing the consequences of losing him for an entire season. Blame that on the coach, if you want, but the kid played in two games looking very similar to yesterday healthwise and the doctors are telling you he is at no additional risk for further injury. You dont get to the NFC championship without winning playoff games. You dont get to where you are without RG3 playing. Its a tough call.

It's a tough call up until he tweaked his knee the first time, up 14-0. Then it isn't.

You do try to win the game. A good coach realizes that Cousins gave the team the best chance to win in the second half (or immediately after the TD that made it 14-0) . This is not hindsight -- I was legitimately shocked during the game that Shanahan played RGIII in the second half, especially after that hobbled 8 yd jog.

If true that RGIII is out next season, Shanahan has to go.

A good coach drafts RG3 in the first place. He also gets Cousins as insurance, which he was lambasted for, which puts him in the position to even have a decision to make. He also has to make a really tough decision whether to go with the a guy who has taken you to where you are and is only at 70% or the other guy at 100%. He's the one in practice every day and he made that decision. So be it. But the last thing we should do is get rid of him for making one questionable decision after making so many good ones.

A good coach drafts RG3 in the first place. He also gets Cousins as insurance, which he was lambasted for, which puts him in the position to even have a decision to make. He also has to make a really tough decision whether to go with the a guy who has taken you to where you are and is only at 70% or the other guy at 100%. He's the one in practice every day and he made that decision. So be it. But the last thing we should do is get rid of him for making one questionable decision after making so many good ones.

So you're saying he was 70% before he tweaked his knee in the game, right? What was he after that? 40%? He couldn't run, and he couldn't throw. I'd say that would be more like 25%, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Back