• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Year 2023. Kansas City Chiefs Win Super Bowl LVIII. Defeat 49ers in Overtime. 25-22.

A lot of wtf from both the Ravens and Lions. Todd Monken handed off to RBs 6 times and got abused by Spags. After looking like he turned the corner, Lamar looked panicked all game and reverted to his former playoff self. Zay Flowers. Van Noy's 15 yarder helped lead to a FG. Tucker getting into it pregame with Mahomes and Kelce - dude, you're a kicker. Campbell not taking FGs when he should have. Reynolds forgetting how to catch. Their S trying to catch the ball with his face mask. The better coached teams won.

Campbell not taking FGs when he should have.
I’m gonna die on this hill. The second FG decision was iffy, but it was still a 48 yard attempt. Under 80% chance of making it.
The first decision to go for it made all the sense in the world. And they had the play. Poor execution makes any decision look bad, but statistically and IMO, it was 100% the right call. The momentum changed on the fluke throw and poor ball skills by Vildor…not the 4th down attempt.

I can kinda get the 1st 1 but still didn't like it. I wanted to throw my glass through the TV on the 2nd 1. Tie the game up. It reminded me of when Campbell got cute at the end of the Dallas game. Fine, go for 2 and the win, but after the 5 yard penalty, kick the damn ball.

I haven’t scanned the internets for this but wouldn’t Ben Johnson have called the run at the goal line at the end? So rather than kill Campbell for that play maybe point at the hotshot OC a little bit too?

The entire Chiefs staff schooled the Ravens staff. Andy Reid knew that Ravens haven't played from behind all year, and figured that Ravens would panic (given the pressure as a favorite) if the Chiefs sprinted out to an early lead. That's exactly what happened. Reid emptied the playbook in the first half, got to a lead and the Ravens ditched what worked for them all year (and what worked against the Chiefs all year), and refused to run the ball :

THREE RUNNING PLAYS BY RAVENS RBs after the 5:25 mark in the FIRST QUARTER.

Even so, Ravens might win the game had Flowers not fumbled into the endzone (game would've been 17-14 at the point with a ton of time left; Chiefs punted on every drive in the 2nd half). When Andy Reid goes into the HOF, the Chiefs/Ravens gameplan might be Exhibit A. BTW, Spags is so under-rated as a DC.

Also, seemed like Lamar wanted to show he could win a game with his arm rather than his legs. Just win the game any way you can.

Last edited:
I wouldn't argue with any of the above. It's why Reid is an all-time great, and Harbs is a good but not great coach.

Saw a stat that Lions had 4th and 3 or less in positive territory 24 times this year before yesterday. Went for it on 4th down 20 times and picked up the 4th down 17/20. With that context, the decision to go for it makes sense.

It’s hard for me to separate the decision itself from knowing the outcome of the decision in hindsight.

Campbell will have to own the loss, but I would say the numerous dropped passes by the WRs, the fumble by Gibbs, the defense allowing Purdy to scramble for multiple first downs, and the OC’s decision to run the ball on 3rd down all doomed the Lions more than either of the FG decisions.

A lot of wtf from both the Ravens and Lions. Todd Monken handed off to RBs 6 times and got abused by Spags. After looking like he turned the corner, Lamar looked panicked all game and reverted to his former playoff self. Zay Flowers. Van Noy's 15 yarder helped lead to a FG. Tucker getting into it pregame with Mahomes and Kelce - dude, you're a kicker. Campbell not taking FGs when he should have. Reynolds forgetting how to catch. Their S trying to catch the ball with his face mask. The better coached teams won.
At what point does Spags start to go down as one of the greatest DCs ever? I think he gets laughed off because of his bad HC stint, but some guys are better coordinators than head coaches, which is why I'm hesitant on Johnson, Slowick, etc. as HCs. But Spags I believe is the first to have Super Bowl rings as DC for two separate franchises, and he may get his 4th ring in a few weeks. Dude knows his lane at this point and is damn good at it.

agreed

trent mcduffie and chris jones are the only elite players on defense, yet they get it done every playoffs as a team

Spags is absolutely a great DC and deserves his plaudits.

Gonna be an interesting offseason in the AFC. Ravens likely can't afford Queen, Madebuike, Stephens, Clowney and Stone. Chiefs likely can't afford Jones. Bills are between $43-49mil over the cap and have lots of decisions. Bengals probably can't afford both Chase and Higgins. Phins are $51mil over the cap. Browns are $19mil over the cap.

Buckets, Snead is also really good.

According to this
website,

The Bengals will be $53 million under the cap in 2024. So, they could pay Higgins, but agree they probably won't. The Chiefs are also projected to be under the cap, but they may spend on receivers and let Jones go. Yes, the Bills, Browns and Dolphins have some tough decisions ahead. Commanders will have a new GM, new coach, a new QB and the most cap space. Lots to work with.

According to this
website,

The Bengals will be $53 million under the cap in 2024. So, they could pay Higgins, but agree they probably won't. The Chiefs are also projected to be under the cap, but they may spend on receivers and let Jones go. Yes, the Bills, Browns and Dolphins have some tough decisions ahead. Commanders will have a new GM, new coach, a new QB and the most cap space. Lots to work with.
Yeah, was looking at OTC. The numbers can vary a bit depending on the source. As for Cincy, by the time they have to pay Chase, he'll cost around $30mil per at a time when Burrow's salary will be rising. Higgins could get mid $20s per. That's a lot in 1 position room. Better off keeping Boyd on the cheap and taking a WR in round 1 or 2 and getting a 3rd round comp. Agree Washington could end up being 1 of the better openings. They probably draft Daniels and can make some moves to rebuild fairly quickly.

Man, Chiefs will be without Omenihu and Nnadi. That’s tough.

Geez. Johnson was considered a lock through the weekend, and then, there were murmurs yesterday that it was not a done deal with Johnson, but it was still expected to happen. From reports, the others to get a third interview for the DC job were Mike McDonald and Dan Quinn (both of whom are suspected candidates for the Seattle job); Raheem Morris was also in the running, but the Falcons grabbed him. People in DC will be apopleptic if Quinn gets the job.

Schefter is claiming teams didn't want to pay Johnson's asking price.

Back