• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

Didn't see the game, but just learned about Bedard on the IR with a broken jaw :censored:

Hope he recouperates in time for the All-Star game. He'll be a HUGE attraction...and also would break Jeff Skinner's record as youngest player to appear in the All-Star game.

Raanta sucks so much ass.

He's got a guy coming in from the side 1-on-1 and he literally lets his 5-hole remain open until the puck is in the back of the net and the Blues player is at his bench.

He's so bad.

Looking for detail on the Canes’ injuries (other than names) but not seeing anything. Anyone?

Noesen had an illness, Fast has "Upper Body" injury, and I think is a week away or so, I don't think anything has been released about Necas' injury other than it happened in practice Thursday. I don't even think they've said Upper or Lower body, so it's even more vague than usual.

Tripp may have given more info on these during the game last night, or pregame tonight, but I can't remember and didn't watch pregame tonight

I know if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but with the way Aho is sharing the puck and the way Andrei is shooting it, we should get them out there on the same line together more frequently maybe. Though as of the L10 they are on the ice together 9.4% of the time, which is pretty significant. I also liked Svech on Drury's line recently with Teravainen. I like that breakdown, I think it went:

Noesen/Aho/Jarvis
Bunting/KK/Necas
Martinook/Staal/Fast
Teravainen/Drury/Svech

Those are 3 offensive scoring lines and 1 checking line. That's some solid depth...and IDK who we'd wanna replace if we targeted anyone at the trade deadline.

At the start of the season I think people would have said our weakest players were Noesen and Drury, but both have really really really impressed me this season. Noesen is just a perfect net-front presence most games and Drury has shown flashes of a real playmaker and distributer. It would really suck to bring in someone and have one of those guys sit, because I don't see the core (L3, Aho/Svech/Necas/Turbo/KK/Jarvis sitting other than injuries or rest).

I think maybe another LW to try out on the 3rd line? Martinook hasn't been himself this season, but maybe his recent goal will kickstart him for the 2nd half.

We are looking sloppy tonight.

We are missing passes from below the goalline to the point over and over. Either there's no one there or they aren't close enough to the wall when the puck comes around or the player below the goal misses the pass.

We've had so many setup plays and that aspect takes us out of alignment or we have to chase the puck back into our own zone and we're getting mismatched in the neutral zone. We're gonna get scored on from that if we don't watch out.

Didn't see the game, but just learned about Bedard on the IR with a broken jaw :censored:

Hope he recouperates in time for the All-Star game. He'll be a HUGE attraction...and also would break Jeff Skinner's record as youngest player to appear in the All-Star game.
good post

Ain't no way Raanta wins this shootout 🤞

Told ya.

He did much better that I thought, great patience, but I knew as soon as he let that 4th one in that he wasn't gonna stop the last one. They were smart to come in fast on him, his first 3 stops were due to patience, take away his time to think and he was vulnerable.

Jesus, we don't play again until Thursday? Not often do you get 4 day layoffs

Raanta gave up one goal tonight (on a breakaway defensive lapse) and played well in the shoot out. Not fair to put this loss on him. We only put up one goal and only scored once in the shoot out. He gave us a great chance to win.
I partially agree with you, but he was beaten in the shootout because he gave up the same goal as the one in regulation, after Aho scored. Can’t get beaten through the 5 hole like that twice!

he did play much better this time though. Guys looked faded by the 3rd, so getting a point on effectively a road game is a decent result. Blues were in Raleigh before the canes, so yeah…

I partially agree with you, but he was beaten in the shootout because he gave up the same goal as the one in regulation, after Aho scored. Can’t get beaten through the 5 hole like that twice!

he did play much better this time though. Guys looked faded by the 3rd, so getting a point on effectively a road game is a decent result. Blues were in Raleigh before the canes, so yeah…
If your O only puts up one goal (and just one score in the shoot out), you can’t blame the game on the goalie.

Raanta gave up one goal tonight (on a breakaway defensive lapse) and played well in the shoot out. Not fair to put this loss on him. We only put up one goal and only scored once in the shoot out. He gave us a great chance to win.

Absolutely agree with you, with a slight point to Stormfury. They knew his soft spot and he still let them get there. Though if you look back on the SO goal, the guy had gone almost to the goal line and he had waited him out the whole time, and then stretched as far as he could with his right leg and he just snuck it under after Raanta had stuck with him. So I do consider it a little flukey. He did play very well during the game though.

STL has also only let in 3 of 11 shootout goals against them this season (10th best % in the league). So they're are pretty good there.

And it was definitely mostly our offense to blame. Like I said during the game, we played too sloppy and could not reset to the point hardly at all. It interrupted our set plays and as far as I can remember, almost interrupted our PP.

I also put a little bit of it on Noesen only getting 10 shifts/7:25 Ice Time during the game. He is our #1 net-front presence and he opens the door for our one-timers and slapshots.

I think we still did pretty well to get a point considering A) Raanta was in goal B) Fast/Necas injuries which put Jarvis on the line with Martinook and Staal, and knocked KK to RW on Drury's line. A lot of out of place players. But we did get a ton of Turbo/Aho/Svech, so that's good.

Best thing about the game was Raanta didn't let in 5 goals, the Power Play keeps chugging along (We're now #3 in the league in PP%, which is unreal given where we started), and Turbo got back in the scoring column, he's only had 5 SOG since Dec. 23rd (his last goal).

Our PP is just lights out right now. 52.4% since Dec. 22nd, 53.3% since Dec. 28th, and a staggering 62.5% since Dec. 31st (aka 2024 lol) I know that's just 1 week, but.....shut up!

Also, as far as fantasy, I'm looking to add a decent Forward or Defender and have a stable of goalies, so if anyone wants to make an offer, feel free.

@CumberlandDeac apparently has no desire for a trade lol....or doesn't check this at all.

Also, HTTD is just destroying people, he's only scored below 140pts once since Week 6 lol

Effectively a road game?

Back