• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

True. I miss a lot of games I want to watch when they are on during the Canes' games.

Sometimes I'm able to watch on TV and laptop, but other times it's too distracting. I don't see the big deal in moving to a set range of games per night. Maybe have one day for West vs West games, another for East vs East, and then another for East (H) vs West (A) and vice versa. IDK how that would all work schedule wise, but something so that there's hockey available at 7pm/8pm/9pm/10pm most nights. And then have the special "Everyone plays" days every now and then where there are 16 games that start at different times (but do it in chunks on a Saturday so you can spread them out more than a start every 15 minutes)

True. I miss a lot of games I want to watch when they are on during the Canes' games.

Sometimes I'm able to watch on TV and laptop, but other times it's too distracting. I don't see the big deal in moving to a set range of games per night. Maybe have one day for West vs West games, another for East vs East, and then another for East (H) vs West (A) and vice versa. IDK how that would all work schedule wise, but something so that there's hockey available at 7pm/8pm/9pm/10pm most nights. And then have the special "Everyone plays" days every now and then where there are 16 games that start at different times (but do it in chunks on a Saturday so you can spread them out more than a start every 15 minutes)
That sounds great in theory, but often NHL teams play second-fiddle to NBA teams in "arena priority" when it comes to scheduling, so they have to take what they can get. Plus they want as many weekend home dates as possible to maximize ticket sales since their TV contracts are scraps compared to NBA TV deals. The Canes are having to play a couple of 8pm Saturday home dates this year because of NC State home basketball games being played earlier in the same day.

Ah yes, I always forget about sharing arenas. Concerts and stuff going on as well as the NBA.

I swear hockey would move up in popularity of only people gave it a chance. Everyone thinks it's just guys fighting and hitting each other, but everyone that I've made watch a game with me, including my 60 year old mother and 14 year old nephew have enjoyed it.

Especially when you watch the guys that are uber-talented. Have someone who has never watched a hockey game turn on an Edmonton, Toronto, Rangers or Canes game (or Blackhawks and Caps for the folks on this thread 😜) and they are bound to leave impressed.

Hopefully one day hockey gets out of the 2nd fiddle role.

I think this is my best uniqueness score yet:

Puckdoku Game 186 - 9/9🏆:

82 Uniqueness
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩

Goalie immaculate grid!

Puckdoku Game 188 - 9/9🏆:

117 Uniqueness
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩

Shesterkin over Panarin is criminal.

As is Barzal over Dobson.

As far as tonight's Cane's game.....WOW.

UNREAL explosion!

Burns with 2 goals and an assist, Ponomarev flown in from Chicago on the day of his first NHL game and he scores 1G/1A, GREAT DEBUT!, Svech with another multi-point game, Aho continues his points streak with a 3 Assist game, Orlov with a multi-point effort in his return to Washington...just WOW.

All of that WITHOUT Necas, Noesen and Fast!

We were losing 0-2 going into the 2nd and this new chick I'm talking to, I told her we needed some mojo, and she texted me this:

Then we went on the goal run...I told her to get ready because we play almost every other night and she better replenish her mojo!

5 game winning streak heading home to face the Blues....8-1-3 over the last 12...heating up, LET'S DO THIS CANES!!

According to this article on ESPN we have 3rd best odds to win the Cup still according to analytics. SO PUMPED!

Last edited:
To show you how great our playmakers have been recently, look at this unreal eye-popping stats:

Aho+Svech over the last 6 games: 10 goals, 20 assists = 30 points.

Add in the previous 2 games to make it the last 8 games: 11 goals, 23 assists = 34 points.

Aho: 3G/13A/16P over L6, (3G/16A/19P over L8)
Svech: 7G/7A/14P over L6, (8G/7A/15P over L8)

Those are some unbelievably incredible numbers...Both are scoring better than MacKinnon over 6 games, and Aho is scoring better than MacKinnon over L8 and Svech is just behind MacKinnon over that same spread (MacKinnon is 4G/7A/11P over L6 and 8G/9A/17P over L8), and Mack's on an MVP pace.

If we can keep this up, Koch keeps up his stellar play, and Freddie can come in and provide him some solid relief, I think we can go on a serious, serious run.

I know if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but with the way Aho is sharing the puck and the way Andrei is shooting it, we should get them out there on the same line together more frequently maybe. Though as of the L10 they are on the ice together 9.4% of the time, which is pretty significant. I also liked Svech on Drury's line recently with Teravainen. I like that breakdown, I think it went:

Noesen/Aho/Jarvis
Bunting/KK/Necas
Martinook/Staal/Fast
Teravainen/Drury/Svech

Those are 3 offensive scoring lines and 1 checking line. That's some solid depth...and IDK who we'd wanna replace if we targeted anyone at the trade deadline.

Last edited:
Looking for detail on the Canes’ injuries (other than names) but not seeing anything. Anyone?

Svech has been on an absolute tear. The Canes are heating up, and they play 11 of their next 12 (!) at home.

Shesterkin over Panarin is criminal.

I also chuckled at this:

1) Very presumptuous. 2) Some of these guys will do anything to get out of this game (including getting suspended). It just doesn't have the cache of the NBA version.

So hate to admit it, wore my jersey in 1st… every time I wear it canes suck ass. Took it off at intermission… Just wow. Curse of jersey is real too.

Svech has been on an absolute tear. The Canes are heating up, and they play 11 of their next 12 (!) at home.

I also chuckled at this:

1) Very presumptuous. 2) Some of these guys will do anything to get out of this game (including getting suspended). It just doesn't have the cache of the NBA version.

Ahh...didn't know that about Panarin. Still think others on the Rangers deserve it more than Shesty.

Even still, select Panarin for the All-Star game as a nod to his unreal play this year so far, and then replace him.

He deserves the recognition.

Back