• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

Skjei has been great. Pesce otoh we seemed to have missed a chance to sell high for scoring punch.

Feels like we have some younger guys that are close to turning the corner (Jarvis, necas, even KK) so while they’re not there yet and we need scoring punch now it seems iffy to want to trade them. Then svech cant stay on the ice so it’s basically been having to rely on Aho, revitalized Turbo (sometimes) and grinder goals from guys like noesen.

Canes look like a different team tonight. Maybe Rod got under their skin.

Canes just haven’t clicked yet this season. Svetch is probably our most important player, no surprise we look better with him out there. What a massive ass whooping.

D.J. Smith out in Ottawa - that's the fourth shit-canning of the season and it's only December!
Granato needs to be next. I cant wrap my head around how the same team can have big wins at Vegas and at NYR but then lose at home to Columbus 9-4. This was supposed to be the drought ending season but they have taken so many steps backwards, its already getting to the point of no return.

Who drives the Black GMC in High Point with a Canes license plate and WF gold decal?

That game went from balls to the wall pumped up action and excitement and confidence for Koch, to a whimpering deflating end. You could see it just in the Storm Surge after the win, the guys barely did anything. Had those two fluky goals not happened in the last 90-120 seconds, those guys would have all been smiling and jumping around.

Hate to see an amazing ass whooping against the League Leading defending Champs end that way, but the W counts the same in the standings.

Really impressed by how well we played on all fronts.

Contributions from the big guys after going into ghost mode for a while was also good to see:

Bunting: 1G, 2A, 2 SOG
Aho: 3A, 7 SOG, 1 HIT

Skjei: 1G, 1A, 3 SOG
Svech: 1G, 4 SOG, 5 HITs
KK: 1G, 4 SOG, 1 BLK

Staal: 1G, 2 SOG, 1 HIT
Jarvis: 1G, 1 SOG, 1 HIT
Martinook: 1A, 3 SOG
Chatfield: 1A, 2 SOG, 3 BLKs
Fast: 1A, 2 HITs
Burns: 1A, 1 BLK

For me, seeing Jarvis finally get one in the net was one of the best things from tonight. He has been sooo close and on the doorstep SO MUCH in the last handful of games and you could see on his face how upsetting it was with every block or save from the opposing goalie. Hopefully this gives him his confidence and swagger back.

Going into the 2nd period tonight, this Pittsburgh team is going to be tough to beat. Their sticks are knocking down or deflecting every pass or shot we make. They are everywhere....suffocating Defense too.

That Crosby goal was gorgeous, but Tripp just said it looked like it was icing on that play because they played the puck in from over the red line and it didn't hit anyone and bounced off the end boards (from my memory, which is admittedly shitty).

Tough loss...

But Kochetkov is really coming into his own.

3-0-2 over his last 5 and only let in 7 goals total, with 2 of those being the fluky goals at the end of the Vegas game.

137 SA, 130 SVs, 0.949 SV%, 1.4 GAA

Random stat, MoneyPuck.com has the Canes as 8th best odds to win their division (out of entire league, not just Metro), 9th best odds to make the Playoffs, 5th best odds to make the 2nd round, and 2nd best odds in the league to make the 3rd round, Stanley Cup Final and 2nd best to WIN THE CUP!!!

How they get that, I have no idea.

They predict us to get to 102 PTS....that means we have to average 1.3 PTS per game the rest of the season.

Right now we have 38 pts in 33 games which puts us on pace for 94 pts.

To finish with 102 points we need to have one of the following records or better the rest of the season:

W
L
OTL
PTS
32​
17​
0​
64​
31​
16​
2​
64​
30​
15​
4​
64​
29​
14​
6​
64​
28​
13​
8​
64​
27​
12​
10​
64​
26​
11​
12​
64​
25​
10​
14​
64​
24​
9​
16​
64​

I know that's random, but I wanted to get a good idea of how many wins we need...I'd say a minimum of 25 of the next 49. But we've only lost in OT 4 games out of 33 total games played....if we stick to that rate, we'll need to finish 29-14-6, which would do it, and I think that's a reasonable expectation. That's about 3 out of every 5.

Anyway, I'm so random with shit. I just love stats and spreadsheets and math. It's a sickness.

My uncle passed away Monday morning, so I'm just trying to find tedious/repetitive shit to keep my mind occupied.

I also finally got my Kuzmenko (Black Skate Alternate) jersey, I'll take pics soon

My team is showing great heart this week against a pretty solid Deacsfan27 team. It's time to start the turnaround.

What in gods fucking name was that shit!??!?!?!

I have NEVER seen such a terrible non-call as that.

OMG

Fuck this shit.

Islanders completely take Svech's legs out from under him, first by putting his arm around the legs, then swings his stick around to knock the puck away so Svech can't get a shot off and the stick even cuts directly under the skate to trip him, they don't call a damn thing, the Islanders get the puck back down to our end, Koch blocks it, there's a pile up in front of the net and then they get a rebound and it comes back to the point and NYI Aho shoots it off one of our guys or his stick or some bullshit and it goes in.

Luckily the time it took to write this Turbo got a revenge goal.

1-1

These refs are unreal.

Just waved off an icing where our guy was 20 feet away.

Another fucking goal

3-1 Islanders.

Maybe we can get some of Dallas' luck and get 2 goals in 13 seconds.

I was already in a shitty mood tonight and this is pissing me off even more, so I'm gonna leave this thread to you guys tonight. Have a good one

GO CANES!!!

That was a shitty game.

And IDK if anyone else noticed, but I FULLY blame it on the ice. With the State BBall game today, they had to make a quick switch with the floor/ice and our guys were falling EVERYWHERE. They lost edges almost every entry or turn.

Also, we tried to like "leave the puck" for a trailing player or tap a pass to someone driving by them and almost every one went to the other team or completely whiffed on it. It was like they were handing it off and just left it wide open for the other team.

It was a complete bumbling mess.

Terrible showing.

Back