• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

What's the prevailing thought for where Bedard will be once he's matured a couple of years in the league? Is he thought to be a McDavid level talent overall? No shame in falling short of that, but didn't know if he was that highly regarded (as an all-time talent, or "just" one of the best players in the NHL for a few years).

Looks like the Caps (and Wiz) are moving from DC to Alexandria.

Probably not news, but I just saw it on ESPN:

Sources: Ted Leonsis plans to move Wizards, Capitals to Virginia

Seems like the majority of Caps fans hate this move. It'll be in a less accessible spot for anyone not living in NoVa, and appears to be motivated entirely by money (shocker) and politics.

Verizon/Capital One is a fine arena in a good location. Here's the DC Mayor's last gasp response:

Seems like the majority of Caps fans hate this move. It'll be in a less accessible spot for anyone not living in NoVa, and appears to be motivated entirely by money (shocker) and politics.

Verizon/Capital One is a fine arena in a good location. Here's the DC Mayor's last gasp response:

This is why publicly funded arenas/privately owned teams blow my mind. Now DC will be stuck with a vacant arena, I guess they can use it for concerts.

4-1 CANES WIN!!!!!!!!!

Probably the best game I've seen Kochetkov play. He stood on his head a few times! That 2 pad save, the stop on the Tkachuk penalty shot, getting in their heads, just unreal. His glove was EVERYWHERE.

Aho lit it up in the 2nd with 2G, 1A (I think it was all in the 2nd). Turbo with an assist, Jarvis with a Goal....just....yum yum yummy!
Guess I'm banned from watching from now on then! :(

He took a BS cross check from behind to his lower side/back where there isn't any protection against Winnipeg. It was a dirty hit that went uncalled and unpunished. So he probably has broken ribs or something

Yea I had seen the play and remember it from the game, I just didn't know if they had said what the actual injury is....and they still haven't.

Ribs or some kind of back/shoulder muscle maybe. Hopefully he's not out too long.

Yea I had seen the play and remember it from the game, I just didn't know if they had said what the actual injury is....and they still haven't.

Ribs or some kind of back/shoulder muscle maybe. Hopefully he's not out too long.

It's being reported specifically and informatively as an 'upper-body injury' with an 'indefinite timeline' !

I hope there is some type of retribution on March 2nd. Since the NHL refused to do anything. Lemiuex or DeAngelo should take out Kyle Conner and or Schiefflie, as dirty and cheaply as possible.

I hope there is some type of retribution on March 2nd. Since the NHL refused to do anything. Lemiuex or DeAngelo should take out Kyle Conner and or Schiefflie, as dirty and cheaply as possible.

That's not nice - Conner's knee has already been exploded by Ryan Strome!

But anywhere the NHL (and their refereeing apparatus) is inconsistently applying punishments, you'll see players take matters into their own hands.

Here's a good read on this topic: The NHL has a problem following an explosion of controversial hits

That's not nice - Conner's knee has already been exploded by Ryan Strome!

But anywhere the NHL (and their refereeing apparatus) is inconsistently applying punishments, you'll see players take matters into their own hands.

Here's a good read on this topic: The NHL has a problem following an explosion of controversial hits
I know its not nice. I'm just venting bc he is coming off a torn ACL and only got 15 games back before some scrub lacerates his kidney with a cheap shot. Which if that's the case, it can be severe and sometimes a career-ending injury. Im not saying his is that bad, but you never really know.

You are right about the George Parros. Dude should never be the head of DPS. He was a goon his whole career and like you said, he selectively punishes players depending on the team they play for.

What's the prevailing thought for where Bedard will be once he's matured a couple of years in the league? Is he thought to be a McDavid level talent overall? No shame in falling short of that, but didn't know if he was that highly regarded (as an all-time talent, or "just" one of the best players in the NHL for a few years).
Good question. I don't know

Good question. I don't know
I don't think he will be in the same conversation with McDavid when its all said and done. I think he will be more of a Sid Crosby or Teemu Selanne, which makes him better than just "best player in the current NHL." McDavid is going to break every record when he's done, and will be top 5 all-time, imo. But who knows, Bedard might grow 4 inches and put on 30 lbs and turn into a unicorn!!

I don't think he will be in the same conversation with McDavid when its all said and done. I think he will be more of a Sid Crosby or Teemu Selanne, which makes him better than just "best player in the current NHL." McDavid is going to break every record when he's done, and will be top 5 all-time, imo. But who knows, Bedard might grow 4 inches and put on 30 lbs and turn into a unicorn!!

IDK, I think he has a decent shot at getting up there in that convo. I know the situations aren't the same, but McDavid played in 45 games his rookie season and had a stat line of 16G/32A/48P. Bedard currently has 12G/12A/24P thru 28 games. He's not quite at the PPG+ level that McDavid was, and McDavid was injured his rookie season, but Bedard's shot is just soooo sweet. He can maneuver the ice similar to McDavid, not as fast or big, but he's such a natural goal scorer...more of a shoot-first player as McDavid has always had almost twice as many assists as goals scored.

EDIT: Though now that you mention it, I guess this description does match Crosby more than McJesus, so you're probably right about Connor vs Connor.

If the Blackhawks can keep surrounding him with solid young talent, he could be a perennial Hart Trophy contender. I don't think he'll lead the league in scoring his sophomore season, but he'll lead the league one day.

Either way, it will be interesting to see him come up behind McDavid (get your mind out of the gutter!) and hopefully we'll see more Connor-verse matchups in the playoffs.

Sidenote, I'm not a hockey historian, but what was it about the late 80s/early 90s that allowed such huge points numbers from players? Gretzky broke 200pts 4 or 5 times, Lemieux averaged 2pts per game...just insane numbers. Gretzky had a season where he scored 255 points for crying out loud...that is insanity. He had 100 points in 34 games. Think about that, in 3 more games than the lightning have currently played, he had DOUBLE the number of points Kucherov has. I wish I was old enough to watch hockey then. I can't imagine what watching Gretzky and Lemieux would have been like.

Easiest day in a while imo (it helps when your main team is featured):

Puckdoku Game 167 - 9/9🏆:

272 Uniqueness
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩

Back