• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

Not to mention a few penalties going uncalled. Had we gotten one of those might have been OT. Game felt like it would have been fair to go to OT. Both teams played well.

Yes, both Team played well. And “lucky” bounces are part of the game.
It will be one hell of a Series when they meet in the playoffs.

Big bounce back tonight after the fluke goal and loss to the rags. The 2nd line might turn into the #1 line if they continue to play like they did tonight.

On another note, I checked out the standing after the game and have a question for Canes fans.
Would you rather:
Win the division and have to play Tampa in the 1st round, but secure home ice thru the 1st 2 rounds
Or
Finish 2nd in the division and play Philly in the 1st round but possibly have to go to MSG for game 1 of the 2nd round?
I can't say with certainty which one I would want, and I'm sure it won't shake out that way. I'm assuming you take home ice as long as possible but Tampa has always given us issues.

Carolina feels like a better team at home (and this is backed up by recent data), so for this thought experiment, any extra home-ice advantage is good. On the other hand, Philadelphia (or...don't look now...the Islanders?!) feels like the easier first-round matchup, and increasing your odds to make the final 8 is nothing to sneeze at.

In reality: there's so much parity in the playoffs, and with the expectation of buttoned up playstyles and swallowed whistles, I don't think (m)any players/coaches are influenced by these kinds of discussions beyond preparation. It's a fun conversation for the message boards, though.

Dom's latest playoff race projection at the Athletic:

West
Vancouver 100%
Dallas 100%
Colorado 100%
Winnipeg 100%
Edmonton 100%

Los Angeles 94%
Nashville 92%
Vegas 90%
-----
Minnesota 16%
Seattle 4%
Calgary 3%
St. Louis 3%

East
Florida 100%
Boston 100%
New York Rangers 100%
Carolina 100%
Toronto 100%

Tampa Bay 93%
New York Islanders 71%
Philadelphia 64%
-----
Detroit 24%
Washington 21%
Pittsburgh 16%
Buffalo 6%
New Jersey 6%

Holy....FUCK....what a game!

I couldn't watch until 16 minutes left, but those 2 goals in the last 1:35....1 in the last 7-8 seconds......and that OT PK and then the Shootout win....Kooch with the big saves.

Just unreal game....SOOO glad we got to do it @TOR too.

Big bounce back tonight after the fluke goal and loss to the rags. The 2nd line might turn into the #1 line if they continue to play like they did tonight.

On another note, I checked out the standing after the game and have a question for Canes fans.
Would you rather:
Win the division and have to play Tampa in the 1st round, but secure home ice thru the 1st 2 rounds
Or
Finish 2nd in the division and play Philly in the 1st round but possibly have to go to MSG for game 1 of the 2nd round?
I can't say with certainty which one I would want, and I'm sure it won't shake out that way. I'm assuming you take home ice as long as possible but Tampa has always given us issues.

If we're able to push New York for the Metro #1 seed, we might be pushing for the East #1 when it's all said and done and could be going up against Detroit or the Islanders. 🤞

Playoffs!

#4 @OblongPickle (12-10, 2497.8 points scored) vs. #5 @Wakeforest22890 (8-13-1, 2450.4 points scored)
Pickle leads season series 2-1
Winner to face HailToTheDeacons in the semifinals.

#3 @Deacsfan27 (15-7, 2541.1 points scored) vs. #6 @redwing42 (7-15, 2248.7 points scored)
Doofus leads seasons series 3-0
Winner to face Cumberland in the semifinals.

4-1 win over Islanders!

Guentzel with his 2nd goal (Empty Netter) and Jarvis with 2 quick ones around 12 minutes in, Necas with the 3rd with 1.1 secs left in the 1st.

Helluva streak we're on. 26-7-2 I think since Dec. 27th (We were 4-5-4 in the 13 games before that).

15-1-2 in Road games since Dec. 12th.

Stathletes has us at 12.4% chance to win the Cup, best odds in the league, I think #2 was Boston at 11.1% (could be wrong about exact figure) but Boston was 2nd, EDM 3rd, FLA 4th)

Man these Canes are a different animal with these 2 additions. They were doing well before, but once Jake and Kuzy got here, its like a they have flipped a switch. And they are getting really good goaltending as well. I hope its going to be a fun few months but so far, so good.

Canes in a great place. Winning the division is always cool, but they probably get a better 1st round draw if they come in second. Either way, just keep winning.

Rod is still in his last year of his contract. Don said in an interview one or two days ago saying the extension is all but signed.

Back