• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Nice knowing you Johnny

Perhaps none as big as Edwards, but two guys from Hope, Arkansas (Clinton and Huckabee) come to mind. Liddy Dole is another.

Clinton is just slick. Don't like him either but that's different than phony.

I like Huckabee as a person but I can see how people could think he's phony.

"Gift" under the tax code, and "contribution" under election laws, are not necessary mutually exclusive, I suppose. Moreover, her claimed subjective intent that this was a gift to Edwards, rather than a contribution to his effort to get the Dem nomination and be elected POTUS, does not make it so.

This.

This case should have never been brought. It is another waste of taxpayer money. Regardless of whether Edwards beats the rap; which I think he will, he has already lost.

Democrats ought to want a piece of this guy worse than anything. His zeal for power almost brought a world of hurt down on the party. Had only a few breaks gone his way, Edwards is the D nominee. Had another break gone his way, he might have been named US Attorney General.

This case should have never been brought. It is another waste of taxpayer money. Regardless of whether Edwards beats the rap; which I think he will, he has already lost.

Democrats ought to want a piece of this guy worse than anything. His zeal for power almost brought a world of hurt down on the party. Had only a few breaks gone his way, Edwards is the D nominee. Had another break gone his way, he might have been named US Attorney General.

Yup. Spot on.

But what do I do with my Edwards shrine? I've got $1,200 worth of candles upstairs that no longer serve a purpose. Smh.

Yup. Spot on.

But what do I do with my Edwards shrine? I've got $1,200 worth of candles upstairs that no longer serve a purpose. Smh.

Sell them for three haircuts?

The news this a.m. had some Edwards defenders trying to put their spin on it. Short version: "He had no idea of the source of some of the money, and never would have used it in violation of campaign laws even if he did."

Yes, b/c he holds campaign finance laws as sacrosanct, but his marital vows to the cancer-stricken mother of his slain son are merely advisory. Good luck with that.

I'm not saying it is how our justice system should work, but he better hope that jury is full of Y chromosomes. Birds are going to kill him.

was reading about this case today. Aside from the minutiae of the evidence required to get Edwards convicted/acquitted, I keep coming back to this overarching conceptual question:

Who the F#%# are these rich people who think it is a good idea to give almost a million dollars to help a cheating husband cover up his affair and lovechild from his cancer-stricken spouse? Especially when said rich people have no relationship to the cheater other than as political benefactors? I mean, seriously, Edwards has no soul, but these benefactors' moral compasses must be totally out of whack.

I wouldn't write a check to my best friend under these circumstances, and probably not my brother or kid.

was reading about this case today. Aside from the minutiae of the evidence required to get Edwards convicted/acquitted, I keep coming back to this overarching conceptual question:

Who the F#%# are these rich people who think it is a good idea to give almost a million dollars to help a cheating husband cover up his affair and lovechild from his cancer-stricken spouse? Especially when said rich people have no relationship to the cheater other than as political benefactors? I mean, seriously, Edwards has no soul, but these benefactors' moral compasses must be totally out of whack.

I wouldn't write a check to my best friend under these circumstances, and probably not my brother or kid.

They are hungry for power. Imagine the power they could have exerted, or attempted to exert, over President Edwards if they had been the ones to pull his ass from the fire and save his campaign, and had knowledge of his deep, dark secret?

They are hungry for power. Imagine the power they could have exerted, or attempted to exert, over President Edwards if they had been the ones to pull his ass from the fire and save his campaign, and had knowledge of his deep, dark secret?

Or after he left office that person could say, "I gave Edwards the presidency" and be part of history.

I believe the main financial contributor bankrolling the coverup was some ancient woman, like 90+ years old, and was just completely taken advantage of.

Or after he left office, "Bunny" Mellon could say that Johnny gave her the big D and be part of history.

Back