• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIT 2024: Next in a Long Line of Basketball Disappointments

I honestly don't think (2) bad losses kept us out. We didn’t have enough strong wins. Road wins at UVA + VT/NC State might have been enough.
Like Virginia?

Obviously it wasn't huge wins or Pitt would be in over UVA. Hell, Pitt even beat UVA on the road and they didn't care. Pitt won @Cameron where UVA got blown out.

UVA over Pitt and Wake is just a prime example of politics or lobbying or prestige or whatever winning out over any of the actual critical measures the committee says they use. Net didn't matter, Q1's didn't matter, late season performance didn't matter, head-to-head didn't matter, Kenpom didn't matter.

Yep, Bennett's past success and reputation gave them the benefit of the doubt. Even though his coaching malfeasance should have cost them the spot.

So what? UVA is arguably the best ACC program over the past 10 years, they deserve the benefit of the doubt. They are in and could reasonably win a few games. If we got in, whether in the play-in or the real show, is there any doubt this team would shit the bed in the first game they played? The committee put us out of our misery early. As well they should have given our late-season implosion. We proved over and over that we weren't winning jack shit of importance.

I wasn't arguing that they took the spot we deserved. If anything I'm agreeing with you - Wake has to become a team worthy of the respect of the college basketball world - fans, refs, committees, opposing players & coaches - and we aren't there yet

I don't feel good about this matchup, solely because I can't imagine the team getting up for this.
Which is why the NIT is stupid. I can't imagine anyone caring in the least much less getting up for it.

I'm assuming those on here that can't imagine Wake passing on the NIT will still be glad we played when app runs train on us in front of a home crowd in the Joel. They have something to play for, we do not. Hell even when we had something to play for it didn't get us up. What a waste of time. At least the app fans I know won't get any enjoyment ribbing me if they win.

It's not that we are too good for the NIT but that there just isn't any upside to it.

App also attracts a ton of fans who didn’t attend the school. It’s really an identity thing for Western NCers. I mean heck their name is the Mountaineers.

App is also coming off one of their best seasons ever so their fans will come and support
That is definitely true for football but not at all for basketball. My wife is an App grad alum.... They only care about football and def don't care about an NIT bid. They would pack our stadium out in the fall but I'm guessing they bring 1k for basketball in March

<500 tickets remain. I can’t imagine Wake not opening the upper deck if they think they can sell more tickets.

That is definitely true for football but not at all for basketball. My wife is an App grad alum.... They only care about football and def don't care about an NIT bid. They would pack our stadium out in the fall but I'm guessing they bring 1k for basketball in March
I'm guessing that half the crowd will be App fans. And I'm not usually one of those fans who claims the opposing fans outnumber ours (in football)

<500 tickets remain. I can’t imagine Wake not opening the upper deck if they think they can sell more tickets.
If there are less than 500 ticktes left they must have only opened up about 750 to sell.

If the players felt like they didn’t have anything to play for then we probably would have rejected the invitation to play. Being a number 1 seed in a post season tournament and defending your home court in front of your fans who have supported you all season seems like a reasonable motivation.

If there are less than 500 ticktes left they must have only opened up about 750 to sell.
I did not think the lower bowl would come close to selling out (glad I bought my ticket this morning). There is going to be a lot more fans Wednesday night then our two NIT games a couple of years ago (a lot of App fans clearly).

Last edited:
If the players felt like they didn’t have anything to play for then we probably would have rejected the invitation to play. Being a number 1 seed in a post season tournament and defending your home court in front of your fans who have supported you all season seems like a reasonable motivation.
probable also depends on the spirit of the players if they feel like most are coming back then they might wanna play.

Wake fans now: The NIT doesn't matter. There's no upside.
Wake fans if Wake wins the NIT: We're a lock to make the tournament next season. Get your Final Four tickets.
I’m sure we will do at least as well as we did following our last NIT championship.

We were absolutely kept out because we lost 4 of our last 6. Had we lost to VT but won GT/Clemson/ND, (1) we would have been the 4 seed, I'm fairly sure, and (2) we would have had a net in the top 30-35. If we won our quarertfinal game (most lilkely another quad 1) we would have been in.

So those 3 games are the difference between a 2-3 slot in the NIT (we are a 1 seed only because of the declined invitations) and a 4 seed in the NCAAT? I'm not buying it. A bid, sure, but not a 4 seed. Not anywhere close.

And just as I surmised, beating Pitt would not have been enough for a bid either.

The real question is do we hang a banner if we win this shitburger of a tournament where all the other top seeds have declined their invitations. Not that we will win it, but we are Wake fans and must ponder things that exist in the fantasy realm.

So those 3 games are the difference between a 2-3 slot in the NIT (we are a 1 seed only because of the declined invitations) and a 4 seed in the NCAAT? I'm not buying it. A bid, sure, but not a 4 seed. Not anywhere close.

Pretty sure he's referring to the #4 seed in the ACC Tournament.

How 'bout your SOONERS!!!

Back