• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIT 2024: Next in a Long Line of Basketball Disappointments

Meh we’ve been soft AF down the stretch for the entire Forbes tenure
No argument here, but I think that’s a depth issue for the most part. This year it seemed like we made some inexplicable in-game decisions and/or didn’t make enough adjustments relative to last year.

The fact that we're currently talking about fucking [redacted] at this point in the Forbes era is the most damning indictment I could possibly imagine.

Much like we heard about Staak so much in the early post-Duncan era.

First ever LJVM non-conference loss for Forbes. :(

Sucks that Sallis can't walk off the court after a non-conference win without injuring himself.

This is a dumb argument that’s not even really worth the and engaging with.
What do we do much better now from a coaching standpoint, than under the last 2? Defense: Give me a break, Rebounding: Maybe, but definitely more of a talent thing, mainly Reid, honestly. Offense: Sure we can score, but does anybody really know what scheme we run? Again, Forbes has brought in guys that are capable of making things happen, but how often does our offense looks completely disjointed? It makes me wonder if Forbe's ability to get decent talent carried him to this level and it's becoming apparent that just isn't enough. It sure doesn't help that 4 of our ACC brethren are playing the end of this week, 3 of 4 being teams I'm not really sure were much better than us, when we actually played somewhere close to our potential.

Nah. We upset #1 seed DePaul and made the Elite 8 the very next season.
Speaking of, we had a legit shot to beat Houston in the next game and advance to the Final Four. IIRC, Tacy said afterwards that he should have deployed a rotation of Teachey but mostly Karasek & Wessell to play Olajawon very physical with 15 fouls to give and make him go to the line vs.getting inside for easy baskets.
By the way, we were 7-7 in the ACC that year, but our making to the Elite 8 was not necessarily considered a "Cinderella" run b/c being .500 in the ACC back then meant you were likely a top-20 caliber team.

3 of 4 being teams I'm not really sure were much better than us, when we actually played somewhere close to our potential.
almost every P6 school can beat anyone else when playing to their potential. The really good teams are made up of players who play to their potential every night.

almost every P6 school can beat anyone else when playing to their potential. The really good teams are made up of players who play to their potential every night.
I realize that, but I mean, do we really not think we were better than Clemson and State and not much below Duke? Our team this year, was good enough to be in the dance, which was repeated throughout the year by the analysts doing our games. How many times did we hear, "Wake Forest is really good, there are very dangerous, they have the potential to challenge in the ACC?" Yet, we got what ended up being a very disappointing season.

Speaking of, we had a legit shot to beat Houston in the next game and advance to the Final Four. IIRC, Tacy said afterwards that he should have deployed a rotation of Teachey but mostly Karasek & Wessell to play Olajawon very physical with 15 fouls to give and make him go to the line vs.getting inside for easy baskets.
By the way, we were 7-7 in the ACC that year, but our making to the Elite 8 was not necessarily considered a "Cinderella" run b/c being .500 in the ACC back then meant you were likely a top-20 caliber team.
Oh yeah, back then an ACC team with a winning ACC record was a shoe in. Hard to remember Depaul being so good back then.

The ACC was loaded that year. UNC had Jordan and Perkins and went 14-0, Duke was starting its rise with Dawkins, Alarie, Amaker, etc. Maryland won the ACC with Len Bias, Adrian Branch, Georgia Tech had Price and Sally. No team had a losing record.

It wasn't a Cinderella run but we did beat the #1 seed and Top 4 ranked team, one of the few times we have ever beaten a higher seeded team (1993 over Iowa, 2010 over Texas).

I realize that, but I mean, do we really not think we were better than Clemson and State and not much below Duke? Our team this year, was good enough to be in the dance, which was repeated throughout the year by the analysts doing our games. How many times did we hear, "Wake Forest is really good, there are very dangerous, they have the potential to challenge in the ACC?" Yet, we got what ended up being a very disappointing season.

I mean, no? NC State had a guy come off the bench and put up 21 to move them forward. I mean, I hate Middlebrooks but if we had Marsh chipping in the occasional 20 pointer when Carr or Reid struggled we're probably a pretty different team. They just wildly underachieved in the regular season because Keatts. Clemson/Duke/UNC all objectively more talented than even our top 5 (once Hildreth got hurt at least) plus they all have some depth. This team was never going to do anything once Monsanto hung it up and Parker went into meltdown mode to put it plainly. You don't usually make tourneys and you can't make tourney runs with just 5 guys unless they are absolute rock stars - and none of our guys are that consistently (Hunter, occasionally). I don't think you need an 8 man rotation, but you at least need a 6th man who can have some kind of impact.

Look at our killer games this year. GaTech at home, one bench point. Notre Dame away, one bench bucket. Tourney game against Pitt, zero bench points. Parker flirted with being our guard depth a few times then disappeared.

I do think given our NIL situation and historic program issues we did have a very good top 5. We should have won at UVA and beaten GaTech at home, grabbed the 4th bye, and gotten UVA's spot in the field potentially as a non-Dayton team. But our guys argued over an inbounds play and GaTech flipped up a miracle game winner so oh well. If you get into a talent argument it'd be between Pitt/Wake/UVA (and I'd put them in that order). Pitt just as disappointing as us. UVA a combo of disappointing and embarrassing so maybe that's the worst of the 3. Side note that us not getting in 2 years ago and Pitt not getting in this year depsite the ACC's performance in the tourney is a ridiculously stupid trend.

Hope Sallis comes back, we add some depth, we take one more step forward as a program. The NIL bump should help.

I mean, no? NC State had a guy come off the bench and put up 21 to move them forward. I mean, I hate Middlebrooks but if we had Marsh chipping in the occasional 20 pointer when Carr or Reid struggled we're probably a pretty different team. They just wildly underachieved in the regular season because Keatts. Clemson/Duke/UNC all objectively more talented than even our top 5 (once Hildreth got hurt at least) plus they all have some depth. This team was never going to do anything once Monsanto hung it up and Parker went into meltdown mode to put it plainly. You don't usually make tourneys and you can't make tourney runs with just 5 guys unless they are absolute rock stars - and none of our guys are that consistently (Hunter, occasionally). I don't think you need an 8 man rotation, but you at least need a 6th man who can have some kind of impact.

Look at our killer games this year. GaTech at home, one bench point. Notre Dame away, one bench bucket. Tourney game against Pitt, zero bench points. Parker flirted with being our guard depth a few times then disappeared.

I do think given our NIL situation and historic program issues we did have a very good top 5. We should have won at UVA and beaten GaTech at home, grabbed the 4th bye, and gotten UVA's spot in the field potentially as a non-Dayton team. But our guys argued over an inbounds play and GaTech flipped up a miracle game winner so oh well. If you get into a talent argument it'd be between Pitt/Wake/UVA (and I'd put them in that order). Pitt just as disappointing as us. UVA a combo of disappointing and embarrassing so maybe that's the worst of the 3. Side note that us not getting in 2 years ago and Pitt not getting in this year depsite the ACC's performance in the tourney is a ridiculously stupid trend.

Hope Sallis comes back, we add some depth, we take one more step forward as a program. The NIL bump should help.
I mean, ok. I just find it interesting that it seems many of our fans thought a lot less of this team, than a lot of other people did I guess. I think it was an extremely disappointing season and I have major concerns with Forbes at this point. If I'm in the minority so be it.

Pitt really is a very good team. They were better than us.

UVA game was the one. They suck and sucked in that game and we played like dog shit and then Cam reverted to stupid cam and made the losing play at the end.

Officiating was a big problem for this wake the tech non travel call and the @ state debacle were officiating screw jobs that knocked a team on the bubble out,

Forbes talent is putting together a roster in this crazy environment. He has to do that here. Then perhaps the luck changes next year,

Forbes having Canka, Clark, and Marsh in the game at the same time should be a fireable offense. That combined with not pounding the ball inside in the first half cost us this game.

I kept yelling get the starters back in a pound it inside over and over again. The people sitting beside us were getting annoyed but damn, it was so obvious, it was infuriating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In. The post game Forbes said that we just kept shooting 3s like he had no fucking control over it. Chew somebody’s ass.

Back