• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIT 2024: Next in a Long Line of Basketball Disappointments

In. The post game Forbes said that we just kept shooting 3s like he had no fucking control over it. Chew somebody’s ass.
This has been an issue since at least the Miami game. It is largely overlooked when those shots go in but becomes glaring when they don’t.

What’s the story for us youngsters not yet in college then?
I don't recall all the particulars, but looking at our schedule in 82-83 we started 7-3 in conference play, then dropped our last 4 plus the 1st round of the ACC tournament. Somewhere along the way (and hell, it may have beeen months before and only came to light during the season) rumors of a "fight" between Green and Karasek, which later turned out to be (take your pick) a major brawl/minor altercation that involved a machete/butter knife. Pretty sure the severity tended heavily towards the later, but it was enough to apparently affect team chemistry.

Bizarre after game Clark had earlier in season where he played great D to lead a comeback that doesn’t see court all year until now. Just mind boggling he didn’t get more PT and who knows what he could have contributed offensively if ever able to build his confidence up. poor personnel mgmt for certain.
Agree completely. This has been a sore point for me all season, especially when the team defense is lacking. Clark opened my eyes with that Charleston Southern appearance but it took an entire season for Forbes to give him an opportunity to see if it was an illusion. It wasn't. Even if he is limited offensively, a bench player that wakes up the defense and gets it running is a valuable commodity. Eight minutes a game to get the D running is PT well spent.

Clark's experience brings up the benefit of putting a deep bench player on the court with four starters. That is a great way to develop a usuable bench. It allows the sub a real opportunity to show what he can bring off the bench and it allows the coach an opportunity to see how the starters react with that sub on the floor.

almost every P6 school can beat anyone else when playing to their potential. The really good teams are made up of players who play to their potential every night.
not a [Redacted] team though

they sucked ass

not a [Redacted] team though

they sucked ass
Yet I believe they beat UNC, Duke and State all in his last season when fired. Not at all advocating that he should have stayed…..just saying.

Pitt really is a very good team. They were better than us.

UVA game was the one. They suck and sucked in that game and we played like dog shit and then Cam reverted to stupid cam and made the losing play at the end.

Officiating was a big problem for this wake the tech non travel call and the @ state debacle were officiating screw jobs that knocked a team on the bubble out,
You mean the Pitt team we beat by 30 some in Winston?

Yep Pitt the same team that beat us in a must win game

What do we do much better now from a coaching standpoint, than under the last 2? Defense: Give me a break, Rebounding: Maybe, but definitely more of a talent thing, mainly Reid, honestly. Offense: Sure we can score, but does anybody really know what scheme we run? Again, Forbes has brought in guys that are capable of making things happen, but how often does our offense looks completely disjointed? It makes me wonder if Forbe's ability to get decent talent carried him to this level and it's becoming apparent that just isn't enough. It sure doesn't help that 4 of our ACC brethren are playing the end of this week, 3 of 4 being teams I'm not really sure were much better than us, when we actually played somewhere close to our potential.
Our defense has been top 50ish kenpom two of last three years after not breaking the top 100 any year during either [Redacted] or Manning. Defense has gotten better.

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

In. The post game Forbes said that we just kept shooting 3s like he had no fucking control over it. Chew somebody’s ass.
We mostly shot a bunch of threes in the first half of the first half when the game was close.

Our defense has been top 50ish kenpom two of last three years after not breaking the top 100 any year during either [Redacted] or Manning. Defense has gotten better.

You know what that means don’t you? Must be a lot of teams that can’t play a lick of defense then.

I don't recall all the particulars, but looking at our schedule in 82-83 we started 7-3 in conference play, then dropped our last 4 plus the 1st round of the ACC tournament. Somewhere along the way (and hell, it may have beeen months before and only came to light during the season) rumors of a "fight" between Green and Karasek, which later turned out to be (take your pick) a major brawl/minor altercation that involved a machete/butter knife. Pretty sure the severity tended heavily towards the later, but it was enough to apparently affect team chemistry.

My memory is that it happened early in the season, pre-Christmas. I think that Green was sent home for a few days. Thankfully he returned.
As I recall there were some serious chemistry issues with the team and Tacy, there was some kind of mini player rebellion with some players trying to get him fired. We lost the final regular season finale to NCSU by 40+ and then lost to them again by a single point in the first round of the ACCT. They went onto win the NCAA and we made the Final Four of the NIT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My memory is that it happened early in the season, pre-Christmas. I think that Green was sent home for a few days. Thankfully he returned.
As I recall there were some serious chemistry issues with the team and Tacy, there was some kind of mini player rebellion with some players trying to get him fired. We lost the final regular season finale to NCSU by 40+ and then lost to them again by a single point in the first round of the ACCT. They went onto win the NCAA and we made the Final Four of the NIT

Didn't Green unexpectedly turn pro after that year? That wasn't very common back then and is just another example in a long line of players out of whom we got one fewer years than expected. If we could pick like 5 players to go back and have them come back for one more year, our history would be totally different. I would start the list with Kenny Green, Charlie Thomas, and CP...

We got four years of Tim Duncan. We can't complain.

Four years from Duncan is one of the biggest gifts a basketball program has ever gotten, followed by getting him in the first place. Getting CP and Howard from down the road soon after are next.

Didn't Green unexpectedly turn pro after that year? That wasn't very common back then and is just another example in a long line of players out of whom we got one fewer years than expected. If we could pick like 5 players to go back and have them come back for one more year, our history would be totally different. I would start the list with Kenny Green, Charlie Thomas, and CP...
Lilburn was referencing the 1982-83 season (when State won the NCAA). That was freshman year for Kenny Green & Tony Karasek. IIRC the butter knife incident was fall of 1983. Wake went on to the Retire Meyer game, etc. and Karasek transferred to FSU at the end of the school year. Kenny Green stayed one more year, going pro at the end of junior year in 1985.
ETA: I do recall one weird incident involving Kenny Green. He had gone home to see family in Eustis, FL and was late returning to campus and was benched for the next game...which was in the ACC Tourney or 1st round of NCAAs. Tacy was a strict disciplinarian.

Lilburn was referencing the 1982-83 season (when State won the NCAA). That was freshman year for Kenny Green & Tony Karasek. IIRC the butter knife incident was fall of 1983. Wake went on to the Retire Meyer game, etc. and Karasek transferred to FSU at the end of the school year. Kenny Green stayed one more year, going pro at the end of junior year in 1985.
ETA: I do recall one weird incident involving Kenny Green. He had gone home to see family in Eustis, FL and was late returning to campus and was benched for the next game...which was in the ACC Tourney or 1st round of NCAAs. Tacy was a strict disciplinarian.

This is how I recall it. Green and Karasek were freshmen in 83-83, then Green played a big role on the 1984 Elite Eight team as a sophomore. He was 2nd team All ACC. We struggled after Teachey and Young graduated. Green was the number 1 option and made 2nd team All ACC again. He went pro and was drafted in the first round by the Bullets.
Tacy resigned that summer. We tried to hire Gary Williams but he wouldn’t leave BC. We ended up with Staak.

Back