• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NIT Bound?

Two days ago everyone writes this team off as possibly not winning another game.

Now they beat a TERRIBLE BC team and now people are thumping their chests talking about realistic chances for the NIT.

We will win another game this year. We will not go to the NIT.

BC beat Clemson and VT in the past week or two. The ACC is weak so it's not unrealistic that we could win 5 or 6. When we play well we're actually pretty good.

I would love to see the Deacs in some sort of postseason tourney. I just checked on Wiki and Oregon beat Creighton last year for the CBI title. Two pretty okay programs.

Didn't we get a CBI invite a couple of years ago and turn it down? I don't remember if there were extenuating circumstances that year but I got the feeling we were stating a policy of not playing in that tourney.

It was JJ and JT's freshman year. The first year of the CBI. IIRC there was a tone among ACC teams that if you got a CBI bid, you shouldn't take it... UVA didn't get the memo. But yeah, huge NIT snub

The .500 rule for NIT participation no longer applies. Here's the info on the "new" NIT which have been in effect since '06.

In the past, NIT teams were selected in consultation with ESPN, the television home of the NIT. The goal of the NIT was to sustain the MIBA financially. Therefore, schools selected to play in the NIT were often major conference teams with records near .500 that had large television fan bases and would likely have a respectable attendance for tournament games on their home court. The latter is one reason why New Mexico was invited virtually every year the Lobos had a winning season but failed to qualify for the NCAA tournament. Seeding considerations and home court advantage included the number of fans willing to show up to each game. In an effort to maintain some quality, a rule saying that a team must have a .500 record to qualify for the NIT was imposed. This prevented ESPN from suggesting major conference teams that finished at or very near the bottom of their conference standings but would likely garner good fan interest.

The NCAA announced a revamped selection process starting with the 2006 tournament. The main highlights are:

Teams are no longer required to have .500 or greater records to receive bids. Even with this change, however, all teams receiving invitations for the NIT have had .500 or greater records.
Similar to the automatic bids the NCAA Tournament grants for all conference tournament champions, all teams that won regular-season conference championships but failed to earn NCAA tournament bids are guaranteed places in the NIT.
In addition, the selection process has been made transparent. ESPN no longer has a hand in the selection of the teams. Instead, a committee of former NCAA head coaches, chaired by Newton, and including Gene Keady (Purdue), Don DeVoe (Tennessee), Rudy Davalos, Les Robinson (NC State), Reggie Minton (Air Force), John Powers and Carroll Williams among others, prepared a list of potential teams in advance. The seeding and balancing process is similar to that of the NCAA tournament, with the exception that higher seeded teams will always host games, unless extenuating circumstances occur. In the past, higher seeded mid-major teams would often be forced to travel to play less highly regarded major conference teams that would be likely to sell more tickets to the game.

ESPN continues to provide television coverage of the tournament. The NIT has a 10-year, $24.1 million contract with ESPN; this compares with the 11-year, $6.2 billion TV contract with CBS for the NCAA tournament.

These changes are intended to encourage participation by good college teams that would rather stay home than play in the NIT – to make it the "Little Dance" instead of the "loser's tournament." Newton stated, "What we want to have is a true basketball event, a real tournament, one where there's no preconceived ideas of who gets to New York. We'd love to have great crowds, but this is not a financial consideration. We want good television coverage, but we're not going to play this thing for television and move games around." Another consideration is that a number one-seeded team that goes to the semifinals will have three home games, which helps ticket sales.

Beginning with the 2007 tournament, the field for the NIT returned to the 32-team field used from 1980 through 2001, eliminating the eight "play-in" opening round where teams played to qualify for second round games against the top eight seeds. The tournament features four eight-team regions. The format did not affect the NIT's automatic bid to any regular-season conference champion that does not make the NCAA's field of 65. 13 of the 32 spots in the NIT field in '11 were reserved for teams in this category, leaving only 19 "at-large" positions available.

We will win another game this year. We will not go to the NIT.

This. I see three more ACC wins, BC, GT and maybe one more.

5-11 won't get us in the NIT but that will still be a significant improvement over last year.

Personally, I LOVE seeing us two games above Va Tech in the ACC standings.

We absolutely should accept CBI this year if we get t he opportunity. This team needs any post season experience they can get.

Ummm great. Here's the deal. I've created an excel model to predict the NCAA tournament that destroyed ESPN (Lunardi) last year. I've back tested it, and it's better this year. So with that background, here's where we're at:

NCAA: The last team in is #51, with a rating of 79.55 (lower is better).
NIT: The last team (assuming the average of 8 teams with auto bids losing their conference tournament is #75, with a rating of 102.65
Wake: Going into today's awesome road win, we were #146 with a rating of 172.6. It's going to take a whole lot. Out.

I think avoiding a losing season should be a goal for this year. That would mean entering the ACCT with a winning record, or entering the ACCT at .500 and winning the first game.

If you factor in the possibility of another tournament bid, it would mean entering the ACCT at 16-14 and losing in both first round games, or entering the ACCT at 15-15 and winning a total of two games in the two post-season tournaments.

Both of these are doable.

I remember a different culture when we thought a CBI invite would be a slap in the face and something below us.

What the hell is the CBI?

Assuming this is a serious question, the CBI is a 16 team post-season tourney that's been held since '08. The Gazelle Group owns the tourney as well as a number of the early season college tourneys that have popped up over the last few years, the 76 Classic is one, there's one in Cancun, and others as well.

The final two teams meet in a best of three series for the championship. It's not a "mid-major" only event like the CIT(collegeinsiders.com tournament) but last year only one "BCS" school, Oregon, accepted an invite. They went on to win it.

I followed the tourney closely in '10 as my # 2 college team, the SLU Billikens, made it to the finals against VCU. VCU won the final series 2-0, and used the victory as a springboard to their Final Four run in '11.

An interesting point about SLU's participation that year was that they negotiated with Gazelle a three year deal to participate in their early season tourneys. They played in Cancun last year, won the 76 Classic this year, and play somewhere else next season.

The CBI requires the home team to pay $60K, or some similar figure, to host a game. The school then keeps whatever ticket revenue they generate. SLU agreed to host games as long as they kept winning in return for the tourney invites. They had a little negotiating power with Gazelle as a number of the NIT at-large teams that year had lower rpi rankings than SLU, and obviously Gazelle wants to have as many teams with good records as they can.

SLU lost about $15K per game as they hosted three of them, but felt that the exposure was good for the program, and the early season tourneys would give them the chance to play some bigger name programs who otherwise wouldn't schedule them.

Back