• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Polictical Ukraine Thread (NOT the Non-Political Coronavirus Thread)

Not to mention 5+ years of uninterrupted knob shlobbing of putin by his puppet. Way to keep enabling that pubs.

Russia continuing a recycle of the Georgia playbook:

Tensions between Georgia and Russia began escalating in April 2008.[95][96] A bomb explosion on 1 August 2008 targeted a car transporting Georgian peacekeepers. South Ossetians were responsible for instigating this incident, which marked the opening of hostilities and injured five Georgian servicemen. In response,[97] several South Ossetian militiamen were hit.[98] South Ossetian separatists began shelling Georgian villages on 1 August. These artillery attacks immediately caused Georgian servicemen to return fire periodically.[95][98][99][100][101]

On 7 August 2008, Georgian president Mikheil Saakashvili announced a unilateral ceasefire and called for peace talks.[102] However, escalating assaults against Georgian villages (located in the South Ossetian conflict zone) were soon matched with gunfire from Georgian troops,[103][104] who then proceeded to move in the direction of the capital of the self-proclaimed Republic of South Ossetia (Tskhinvali) on the night of 8 August, reaching its centre in the morning of 8 August.[105] According to Russian military expert Pavel Felgenhauer, the Ossetian provocation was aimed at triggering the Georgian response, which was needed as a pretext for premeditated Russian military invasion.[106] According to Georgian intelligence,[107] and several Russian media reports, parts of the regular (non-peacekeeping) Russian Army had already moved to South Ossetian territory through the Roki Tunnel before the Georgian military action.[108]

Russia accused Georgia of "aggression against South Ossetia",[109] and launched a large-scale land, air and sea invasion of Georgia with the pretext of "peace enforcement" operation on 8 August 2008.[100] Abkhaz forces opened a second front on 9 August by attacking the Kodori Gorge held by Georgia.[110] Tskhinvali was seized by the Russian military by 10 August.[111] Russian forces occupied the Georgian cities beyond disputed territories.[112]

During the conflict, there was a campaign of ethnic cleansing against Georgians in South Ossetia,[113] including destruction of Georgian settlements after the war had ended.[114] The war displaced 192,000 people,[115] and while many were able to return to their homes after the war, a year later around 30,000 ethnic Georgians remained displaced.[116] In an interview published in Kommersant, South Ossetian leader Eduard Kokoity said he would not allow Georgians to return.[117][118]

President of France Nicolas Sarkozy negotiated a ceasefire agreement on 12 August 2008.[119] Russia recognized Abkhazia and South Ossetia as separate republics on 26 August.[120] In response to Russia's recognition, the Georgian government severed diplomatic relations with Russia.[121] Russian forces left the buffer areas bordering Abkhazia and South Ossetia on 8 October, and the European Union Monitoring Mission in Georgia was dispatched to the buffer areas.[122] Since the war, Georgia has maintained that Abkhazia and South Ossetia are occupied Georgian territories.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(country)#Russo–Georgian_War_and_since

I'd only be worried about a Russian invasion if Putin could make the Falcons good.

Air raid sirens in Kyiv as military targets are being bombed and troops are crossing the border. This is a full on declaration of war.

Are we moving our investments to Raytheon and Lockheed stock or are we pulling everything out and putting it under our mattresses? (Not Political)

can't believe i didn't buy puts when the news about the widespread hacks came across yesterday

Alright, every NATO country pick a different Russian military target and fire 100 cruise missiles at 6 PM EST. Ready, break.

US sending troops to Europe just in case Putin gets bold. Military forces are prepping just in case out here in Cali. I’m sure it’s like that everywhere though

i mean, i know we're getting filtered stories but Ukraine holding basically all its major cities into day 5 of a prepared invasion is really something. the Russian army must be a total paper tiger

i mean, i know we're getting filtered stories but Ukraine holding basically all its major cities into day 5 of a prepared invasion is really something. the Russian army must be a total paper tiger

I like the idea that CIA/US Military is looking at this situation and saying, "holy shit, if we covertly get Ukraine just a little more help, and Ukraine holds off Russia, the damage to Putin's reputation would be fatal." We could be on the brink of a post-Putin Russia.

I wish there were a feasible way to enforce a no-fly zone in Ukraine. That would 100% seal the deal in favor of Ukraine.

I like the idea that CIA/US Military is looking at this situation and saying, "holy shit, if we covertly get Ukraine just a little more help, and Ukraine holds off Russia, the damage to Putin's reputation would be fatal." We could be on the brink of a post-Putin Russia.

I wish there were a feasible way to enforce a no-fly zone in Ukraine. That would 100% seal the deal in favor of Ukraine.

i mean, obviously the US/NATO is feeding UK all of the intel they can cram down down their throats or whatever but still, they have to fire the guns at the end of the day.

just the fact that they can't establish air superiority in regions bordering their own airbases is hilarious. that's like the most basic part of modern warfare.

i was reading a reddit thread of us army guys ripping on the russians based on the reports to date

Putin is firing nukes before he leaves the Russian Presidency. One of his own generals or guards is going to have to shoot him.

Back