• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Basically, our leaders did not expect pent-up demand after people were cooped up for three months. They also welcomed people from hot spots and let them run amok without masks.

All the tourists with high risk-tolerance converged upon the Grand Strand and have subsequently infected the service industry because restaurant owners are desperate to make some money after two months of nothing. This desperation has led them to forget to protect their employees by asking that people stay masked up when they are not explicitly eating or drinking.

We are at 98% hotel capacity this weekend and every beach house is packed. Great for business, but bad if you're working in a hotel, restaurant, or attraction.

Outer Banks is dealing with dumb tourists too. There is a mask mandate in Dare County, but when people are on vacation they want to forget about the ills of the world so they ignore masks. Everybody works in the hospitality industry and have been trained since birth to be good hosts and not piss off the tourists (to their face at least). I'm worried about a big outbreak there. Luckily my parents are being ridiculously careful.

It really makes me wonder how long we'll be dealing with Covid in the United States. It's not just going to go away by itself, and there are still way too many people in America unwilling to wear masks or take it seriously. I think people will get more unsettled as time goes by and we start seeing more countries emerge on the other side after successfully containing the virus through social distancing and wearing masks.

It's going to be a long time. It's clear 30-40% of this country has no desire to work together and make any sacrifice to address this crisis.

Last edited:
Our grandparents and great-grandparents rationed their food and fuel and got drafted to die to support war efforts. Miraculously that collective effort didn’t devolve into full blown abdication of our rights and dictatorship.

Our parents and peers cannot bear to wear a fucking piece of cloth to beat a fucking plague.

It's going to be a long time. It's clear 30-40% of this country has no desire to work together and make any sacrifice to address this crisis.

But what kind of a doctor is she ?

i mean, some people were thrown into internment camps, but for the most part it worked out !

Our grandparents and great-grandparents rationed their food and fuel and got drafted to die to support war efforts. Miraculously that collective effort didn’t devolve into full blown abdication of our rights and dictatorship.

Our parents and peers cannot bear to wear a fucking piece of cloth to beat a fucking plague.

I like how you depoliticized your comment for this thread by leaving the gop leadership out of it. HUZZAH!

I mess around a lot on the University of Texas message boards, mainly for their soccer stuff but it's been interesting following their Covid thread. They are legit screwed. The state added 8000 new cases today and I just read that the Austin metro area has around a 28% positivity rate. Apparently an emergency alert was just sent out in English and Spanish. Scary stuff

Like I said before, the problem is lag time which then reinforces people’s why try attitude. You send an alert today and everyone actually listens you might see results in 2-3 weeks, until then the case count is already baked in by the stupidity preceding the alert.

Basically, our leaders did not expect pent-up demand after people were cooped up for three months. They also welcomed people from hot spots and let them run amok without masks.

All the tourists with high risk-tolerance converged upon the Grand Strand and have subsequently infected the service industry because restaurant owners are desperate to make some money after two months of nothing. This desperation has led them to forget to protect their employees by asking that people stay masked up when they are not explicitly eating or drinking.

We are at 98% hotel capacity this weekend and every beach house is packed. Great for business, but bad if you're working in a hotel, restaurant, or attraction.

Great for business? Have you sold the beer biz and re-invested in hospitals and pharma?

Georgia flirted with 3,000 cases today which was 700 more than our previous high.

My office continues with its phased reopening plan.

Great for business? Have you sold the beer biz and re-invested in hospitals and pharma?
Pharma yes, hospitals no. Hospitals are having major revenue issues right now due to the lack of elective procedures and most are furloughing staff. I think many that serve rural communities won't survive this.

Like I said before, the problem is lag time which then reinforces people’s why try attitude. You send an alert today and everyone actually listens you might see results in 2-3 weeks, until then the case count is already baked in by the stupidity preceding the alert.

Yet the number of national total deaths has nonetheless plummeted week over week even accounting for that lag time. I can't figure out how to snapshot and post a dynamic table, but both the table and underlying data are here, updated as of July 1 for the week ending 6/27:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

Cue incoming Rafi Bomb to claim that death certificate data is not accurate, despite now having over three months of it to incorporate lag time.

rafi-bomb-rafibomb-gif-9309701

But we've moved the goalposts to where now everyone is freaking the fuck out about cases, when the number of deaths has fallen off significantly despite the rise in cases. Clearly that is attributable to better treatment methods, a lower mortality rate of the virus, and better isolation of the most vulnerable. But that isn't the #science and #experts that the death to the rubes circle jerk wants to hear.

Back