• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Not a political statement, but we were supposed to have this info when they reached a level of 32 cases... Instead, they waited until there were 94 cases. So this info was likely withheld (by either PFE or the FDA) until after the election. PFE even perhaps lied on their recent conference call when they said they hadn't yet reached that 32 case threshold. We'll most certainly be hearing more about this over the next few days.

Obviously good news all around... Not saying it isn't.

This is a little disturbing, could you provide a link for this?

Not a political statement, but we were supposed to have this info when they reached a level of 32 cases... Instead, they waited until there were 94 cases. So this info was likely withheld (by either PFE or the FDA) until after the election. PFE even perhaps lied on their recent conference call when they said they hadn't yet reached that 32 case threshold. We'll most certainly be hearing more about this over the next few days.

They were just Biden their time.

God bless you, Pfizer

This is a little disturbing, could you provide a link for this?

It was discussed this morning in our internal meeting by our Pharma/Biotech analyst. I can't post these things, unfortunately. I'm sure it'll be out there over the next few days. I'm assuming nobody will care because Fuck Trump.

Why were they supposed to report results at 32 cases? That’s way too small an N number to draw any conclusions.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-vaccine-candidate-against

PFE's own press release:
After discussion with the FDA, the companies recently elected to drop the 32-case interim analysis and conduct the first interim analysis at a minimum of 62 cases. Upon the conclusion of those discussions, the evaluable case count reached 94 and the DMC performed its first analysis on all cases.

http://https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2020/10/28/pfizer-pfe-q3-2020-earnings-call-transcript/

PFE's 3Q Conference Call (10/27):
Steve Scala -- Cowen and Company -- Analyst

Thank you. Albert, with all due respect, could you please be absolutely clear whether the 32 events have been reached already? It seems that the answer is yes, Pfizer has the 32 events. Otherwise, I think you would say no. And on to the DMD gene therapy, will Phase 3 start this year? And as Pfizer and FDA agreed on a potency assay? Thank you.

Albert Bourla -- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

Yes. Steve, I appreciate the curiosity and I appreciate the creativity, and everybody can try every possible angle, but I think I have answered this as fully as we are prepared. Now, you used a very creative way of asking, so I will tell you clearly, no, we don't have the 32 events right now. So that's what I can say.

NOTE: I do not work for Cowen... That was just the quote that best showed they said they didn't have 32 events. There are a ton of other quotes where they talk about not doing the analysis yet... But nowhere do they mention shifting to 62 cases.

Last edited:
Pfizer indicates COVID-19 Vaccine is 90% Effective

BOOM! Great news! Not only do we have one trial with promising results, but we have other vaccines being developed that will likely be effective as well (most of them are targeting the same protein for immunity that this vaccine did). Pfizer CEO says most Americans will have an opportunity to be vaccinated with this by the end of the 2nd Quarter in 2021 and that it will be free to all Americans.

This is such great news.

Definitely the most promising news in a long, long time.

Can you explain how you got it and what you had to do?

A surgeon buddy of mine suggested that we sign up together for the Pfizer trial. I trust him to know medical shit and stuff, so I was like, "yeah, I'll do my part. Let's git er' dun."

Serious question: if there is debate amongst the "experts" on whether having the virus creates long-term immunity to the virus, how is there any certainty that the vaccine will create long-term immunity to the virus? Isn't the vaccine synthesized from the virus?

Serious question: if there is debate amongst the "experts" on whether having the virus creates long-term immunity to the virus, how is there any certainty that the vaccine will create long-term immunity to the virus? Isn't the vaccine synthesized from the virus?

From what I understand it hasn’t been around long enough to know whether we’ll have long term immunity or not. It’s possible it’ll be like the flu shot where you get it every year.

There is no certainty regarding long-term immunity at this point. The Pfizer study will follow patients for 2 years, so data will come out, but it will takes years to know for how long the vaccine is effective.

From what we've discussed, they have no idea of how long the vaccine will work... There will likely be a need for a booster down the line. And this PFE/BNTX vaccine requires two doses to begin with.

But the good news is that the vaccine seems to be way more effective than most were expecting it to be, which means you have a lower bar to reach herd immunity.

There is no certainty regarding long-term immunity at this point. The Pfizer study will follow patients for 2 years, so data will come out, but it will takes years to know for how long the vaccine is effective.

I can confirm that I have an app that I have to check in with every week for the next two years.

If I get the 'rona a year from now, I'll let you know.

ETA: I've also got this handy "do you have COVID" kit in my office they gave me. If I come down with symptoms, they have a procedure for me to follow to give myself the ol' nose dipstick.

I assume you got antibody tested before the trial, yeah?

Yes, but that wasn't a disqualifier. On day 1, they took blood and administered phase 1 of the vaccine. Three weeks later, I got phase 2. Three weeks after that, I gave blood again (for them to confirm antibodies). They wouldn't tell me whether or not I had antibodies, but I got a test done by my GP as part of my anal. physical.

Yes, but that wasn't a disqualifier. On day 1, they took blood and administered phase 1 of the vaccine. Three weeks later, I got phase 2. Three weeks after that, I gave blood again (for them to confirm antibodies). They wouldn't tell me whether or not I had antibodies, but I got a test done by my GP as part of my anal. physical.

Glad to see BBD volunteering to help out the Donkey Deac.

it's the 2&2s of the world that keep vaccines from being more effective via their brain genius critical thinking skills

Back