• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

So what do you say to people that say 'well everyone should just make their own assessment of their personal risk- if you are vulnerable stay at home, if you want to get out in the world things should be open- you should have the choice"? I hear that a lot.

This is actually kind of where I'm at. I am largely against anyone (and in particular, hypocrites in government) telling me what I need to do.

But allow me to clarify. I'm always going to wear a mask indoors or around other people. I also think it is ridiculous to try to have restaurants & bars open... It seems pretty clear that trying to have them open as normal is contributing to this spike.

I also think schools should be open... There seems to be increasing evidence that closing the schools is not helping anything.

I'm just about the last person to point to Europe (or other countries) for examples of what we should do in the US, but most of the world has gone bars/restaurants closed and schools open and we're doing the opposite for some unknown reason. I had assumed the schools were staying closed as a "fuck you" to Trump, but there is little momentum to opening them back up (at least here in Atlanta). And now you have NY closing again... With a lot of pushback.

Saw tiltdeac post for the first time in awhile and wanted to bring some levity to this thread. Way back in my sophomore or junior year at Wake we played on the road at GT and tilt hopped a ride with me and a friend/former poster. He turned out to be a great asset because he was 21 and neither of us were so he kindly supplied us for the trip. My buddy was driving so tilt and I were crushing beers on the way to ATL and then promptly get a raucous three person beer pong circuit going in our hotel room on arrival. Bunch of people obviously end up calling hotel management on us and we are drinking all night. Wake up wrecked and the game is like a 12 or 1 start. Had a hell of a time navigating ATL all hungover including my friend driving the wrong way down a one way street. Went to the game, pretty sure we lost, hit the road back to Wake and were there in time for Saturday night parties.

Probably not as cool a story as I thought but a great memory. Stay safe and stay healthy, tilt. Thanks for the work you’re doing.

This is actually kind of where I'm at. I am largely against anyone (and in particular, hypocrites in government) telling me what I need to do.

But allow me to clarify. I'm always going to wear a mask indoors or around other people. I also think it is ridiculous to try to have restaurants & bars open... It seems pretty clear that trying to have them open as normal is contributing to this spike.

I also think schools should be open... There seems to be increasing evidence that closing the schools is not helping anything.

I'm just about the last person to point to Europe (or other countries) for examples of what we should do in the US, but most of the world has gone bars/restaurants closed and schools open and we're doing the opposite for some unknown reason. I had assumed the schools were staying closed as a "fuck you" to Trump, but there is little momentum to opening them back up (at least here in Atlanta). And now you have NY closing again... With a lot of pushback.

Probably because we value commerce more than education here in the US, or come to think of it, we apparently value commerce over life itself. Ok maybe that was a little cynical but I hear a lot from folks who are 'open up and give people the choice' and were about to hang Cooper because he was 'infringing their liberties'. Now granted I will fully acknowledge that there are a lot of people whose livelihoods are contingent on things being 'open' so that may tend to color their perspective.

It's not possible for more vulnerable folks to simply "choose" to self-isolate. The more vulnerable you are, the more you are dependent on others to provide some sort of service to you. Those providing service are necessarily out and about. If folks perceiving themselves to be be less vulnerable are taking risks, they are likely contributing to community spread which will flow to those vulnerable folks trying to be careful.

Anyhow, if the only folks affected by individual choice were those making their own choices, that would be fine. But that's just not the case.

It's not possible for more vulnerable folks to simply "choose" to self-isolate. The more vulnerable you are, the more you are dependent on others to provide some sort of service to you. Those providing service are necessarily out and about. If folks perceiving themselves to be be less vulnerable are taking risks, they are likely contributing to community spread which will flow to those vulnerable folks trying to be careful.

Anyhow, if the only folks affected by individual choice were those making their own choices, that would be fine. But that's just not the case.

Yep- I think that's what folks with that opinion don't tend to grasp.

So what do you say to people that say 'well everyone should just make their own assessment of their personal risk- if you are vulnerable stay at home, if you want to get out in the world things should be open- you should have the choice"? I hear that a lot.

I would tell them that they are spreading the virus, and as they spread it it eventually gets to people that are isolating, and it kills them.

Today is my last day of quarantine after my positive test ten days ago. Never developed a single symptom. Hopefully I get the antibodies so I’m good (??) through the winter at least.

Have felt pretty achey with chills today, and found out that I may have been exposed last weekend at the golf course. Hopefully not. The two testing locations offered by my doctor's office are completely booked until Monday and it appears that every CVS within 8 miles of my house is as well. Things are definitely getting serious. Any other ideas?

Have felt pretty achey with chills today, and found out that I may have been exposed last weekend at the golf course. Hopefully not. The two testing locations offered by my doctor's office are completely booked until Monday and it appears that every CVS within 8 miles of my house is as well. Things are definitely getting serious. Any other ideas?

You should assume you have COVID. Obviously it depends where you live, but health departments are doing a lot of testing.

In my experience: day 1, i had a very mild scratch in my throat. Day 2, chills and aches. Day 3, lost my smell and taste.

I don't get sick very often, but the type of cough I had with Covid was different than anything I usually pick up this time of year (sniffles/drainage cough). It was a dry, upper respiratory cough that never got serious, just kind of annoying. Losing my taste and smell on day 3 was when I knew it wasn't your every day cold. So I'd say stay particularly attuned to what you're feeling over the next 2 or 3 days. Hedge on the side of caution for your family/friends sake, but use what you know about yourself and how you usually handle colds to determine if this is different. That's all I got if you can't get to a testing facility.

News out this afternoon that RTP is slated to be the site for an $800MM vaccine “gigafactory”. This area has been absolutely on fire recently with major project announcements.

By this logic nobody can isolate in any quarantine scenario.

https://cobra.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=d52690813f4d4855829d286a1e4ee1e5

Also, I've been past this drive thru site on Beam Road and not seen anybody.

Friday, November 20
8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
*Additional location added for this date*

Stratford Richardson YMCA
1946 West Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28208

Parking Lot on Beam Road
4222 Beam Road
Charlotte, NC 28217

Saturday, November 21

Parking Lot on Beam Road
4222 Beam Road
Charlotte, NC 28217

https://atriumhealth.org/about-us/coronavirus/mobile-unit

https://cobra.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=d52690813f4d4855829d286a1e4ee1e5

Also, I've been past this drive thru site on Beam Road and not seen anybody.

Friday, November 20
*Additional location added for this date*

Stratford Richardson YMCA
1946 West Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28208

Parking Lot on Beam Road
4222 Beam Road
Charlotte, NC 28217

Saturday, November 21

Parking Lot on Beam Road
4222 Beam Road
Charlotte, NC 28217

https://atriumhealth.org/about-us/coronavirus/mobile-unit

Good look. Thanks, Biff. I sometimes feel like this with fall allergies/seasons changing to cold weather, but definitely want the test since I was potentially exposed (did not play in group with him but spoke with him after the round for a bit).

Good look. Thanks, Biff. I sometimes feel like this with fall allergies/seasons changing to cold weather, but definitely want the test since I was potentially exposed (did not play in group with him but spoke with him after the round for a bit).

Also, the new testing site at Bojangles' Coliseum is supposed to open tomorrow at 10 AM. First day at that location. You could be the first patient !

Last edited:
one challenge I have is that I have a sore throat in the morning pretty much every day of my life so that is not a helpful guiding symptom

Yeah, I sleep with my mouth open a lot and can barely swallow sometimes when I wake up. I also have to blow my nose twice in the morning to get going.

Back