• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Public doesn’t know you or your history, no mask is no mask and your story to random people will simply look like an excuse not to wear a mask.

it's more important to reinforce mask normalization than somehow promoting vaccine normalization via..not wearing a mask? just wear the mask and tell people you got the vaccine

especially since working class americans and people under 40 are probably not going to get the vaccine until fucking fall or some shit at this pace.

I think you should continue to wear a mask in public because of what Louis said but you should also get a T-shirt printed up that says "I got the Covid vaccine and it was fine" or "I got the Covid vaccine and there were no real side effects" or "I got the Covid vaccine and my penis still works good, so no worries!"

I think the overlap of people who are vaccine-skeptical and people who will strike up a conversation with a stranger over not using a mask is tiny

I'm putting this out there and I really want thoughtful responses (in addition to hilarious ones).

Based on so much vaccination fear, I'm considering no longer wearing my mask. I want to open dialogue with others to let them know that I'm not having any side effects due to the Pfizer vaccine. The combined total of antivaxers and the much larger group of "well, it's probably safe, but I'll just slide by because it might not be safe" seem to be giving the vaccine process a really bad rep.

I've mentioned that I have the vaccine to maybe 30 people IRL. Approximately 25 of them responded to learning that information with, "oh wow, any side effects?"

After about the 10th time it happened, I started wondering why they would say that instead of, "what's that experience been like?" or "where'd you get it?" or any other of the 1,000 socially acceptable responses other than a response that seems to override social norms and speak to the fear/reticence w/r/t vaccines that people have.

My chief worry is that the people who spark dialogue with me about not wearing a mask will already be in the group of people who are going to get vaccinated.

What say you?

Interesting thought, but I agree with others that you should wear a mask (and not one with a hole in it). It addition to what others have said, it is possible that those who have been vaccinated may still be able to carry and spread the virus.

Wear a mask that says, "I was given the vaccine and all I got was this stupid mask". Two birds, one stone. Says you had the vaccine and there were no side effects. Job done.

Helpful info from the mayo clinic for those with concerns about vaccine side effects https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem....eatured-topic/covid-19-vaccine-myths-debunked. Also, how can you be more worried about the long term side effects of a vaccine when compared to the long term possible side effects of covid 19? I'll take my chances with the vaccine and let you take your chances with ED, increased risk of cardiovascular disease, etc.

Seriously, I can't imagine not wanting to prevent getting a disease with known long term health effects in favor of avoiding a vaccine with unknown side effects. There must be a symptom associated with being a long term Charlotte Hornets fan that erodes critical thinking.

Seriously, I can't imagine not wanting to prevent getting a disease with known long term health effects in favor of avoiding a vaccine with unknown side effects. There must be a symptom associated with being a long term Charlotte Hornets fan that erodes critical thinking.

An individual with very black/white thinking (incapable of the ability to understand nuance), might see the vaccine as "great!/terrible!," masks as "perfect!/totally ineffective!," etc. Such an individual might also write, "LaMelo's passing is holy shit how did he do that good, but his shot selection and defense are holy shit bad."

BuT wE'rE kIlInG sMaLl bUsIneSseS @!@

Someone who understands these things educate us on this: is it REALLY necessary to wear a mask after you've been vaccinated? I get that it hasn't been proven that the vaccine truly keeps those vaccinated from being carriers/infectious to others, but honestly what is the chance that's a real risk? It seems so absolutely remote to me, but this is because I only go to meetings in hospitals for a living and don't actually practice any type of medicine. So, what say ye, big brains?

Someone who understands these things educate us on this: is it REALLY necessary to wear a mask after you've been vaccinated? I get that it hasn't been proven that the vaccine truly keeps those vaccinated from being carriers/infectious to others, but honestly what is the chance that's a real risk? It seems so absolutely remote to me, but this is because I only go to meetings in hospitals for a living and don't actually practice any type of medicine. So, what say ye, big brains?

It truly isn't known because it wasn't tested with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. However, it was tested with the AstraZeneca vaccine, and it seemed that the vaccine did reduce spread. In the AZ study they tested participants regularly and showed that the vaccine decreased asymptomatic infections, which should decrease asymptomatic spread.

IMO, it would behoove you to wear a mask for a while. It is unclear if you can become a carrier of the virus once vaccinated. Just not enough data yet.

Last edited:

Vaccinated people don't need to wear a mask.*

*almost certainly.

Interesting thought, but I agree with others that you should wear a mask (and not one with a hole in it). It addition to what others have said, it is possible that those who have been vaccinated may still be able to carry and spread the virus.

This is true, but given my experience so far with my cohorts in the study (n = like 3 here), the vaccine seems to drastically diminish or completely eliminate the illness window.

I left this out of my OP, because it's hard to explain - but the sincerity with which people were asking me about side effects really spoke to me. The change in tenor was incredible and not normal. Like, these are perfect strangers that I would get in an elevator with. I'm an extrovert to the max, so whenever I am about to enter an occupied elevator, I usually spark a conversation with, "oh hey there, do you mind if I ride along with you?" Invariably, it's "yes" and then an offhand joke about them being not sick in some way. I usually take that opportunity to say something like, "well, hopefully it wouldn't matter regardless, I'm vaccinated."

I get how fucking white-bread retarded this all sounds, but I'm genuinely fascinated by the psychology/sociology going on in the world right now and these little anecdotes are gasoline to my quarantine brain.

In most of my interactions, after someone learns that I'm vaccinated, their whole demeanor changes from what's become the typical quarantine frosty-shoulder to intense interest. They aren't interested in me, but they are seriously interested in the experience of being vaccinated. It feels a lot like being an animal in a zoo.

It's like watching someone who has either consciously or subconsciously pondered a question, and you come up to them and say, "oh, here's your answer." They genuinely want to know more.

That's concerning to me, because if the population was fully ready to be vaccinated, I feel like the first question would be, "oh, where did you get it?" and the follow-up would be much less interested.

Will a vaccinated person be able to pass on the virus? Kinda depends on if the vaccine is completely neutralizing, you never get sick vs you don't get severe illness. First scenario then yeah you would only be able to pass on the virus if it somehow was able to replicate to a high enough titer in say your nose and sneezed out or along those lines. The second scenario means most certainly you could be a carrier of the virus and spread it to others. The safest thing is wear a mask after you are vaccinated until the population is at a point where everyone that wanted a vaccine was vaccinated.

On the people wont get vaccinated, there are already crazy anti-vaccine articles making the rounds, one of the craziest being it makes woman infertile because it targets the same protein that is responsible for placenta binding or some other crazy shit backed up by fraudulent doctor quotes and science sounding words like protein homology.

Will a vaccinated person be able to pass on the virus? Kinda depends on if the vaccine is completely neutralizing, you never get sick vs you don't get severe illness. First scenario then yeah you would only be able to pass on the virus if it somehow was able to replicate to a high enough titer in say your nose and sneezed out or along those lines. The second scenario means most certainly you could be a carrier of the virus and spread it to others. The safest thing is wear a mask after you are vaccinated until the population is at a point where everyone that wanted a vaccine was vaccinated.

On the people wont get vaccinated, there are already crazy anti-vaccine articles making the rounds, one of the craziest being it makes woman infertile because it targets the same protein that is responsible for placenta binding or some other crazy shit backed up by fraudulent doctor quotes and science sounding words like protein homology.

Yea as soon as vaccines are widely available for everyone I am going to stop wearing a mask. If you don't want a vaccine then its on you when you get the vid, I am not going to put on a mask to protect an anti-vaxxer. Probably be better for everyone if they died out anyways. really getting them sick is a bonus.

Back