• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Is there a long-term effect from another vaccine in the past 3 decades or so that concerns you?

Gardasil certainly thought there were, or maybe they just made those payments to be nice.

But aside from that, how many mRNA vaccines have been distributed in said past 3 decades? What were their long-term effects?

Gardasil certainly thought there were, or maybe they just made those payments to be nice.

But aside from that, how many mRNA vaccines have been distributed in said past 3 decades? What were their long-term effects?

What sort of Jenny McCarthy websites are you reading? What late side effects of gardasil do think occurred? (I'll save you the furious Googling, there are none) When you write "they just made those payments" who do you think "they" refers to?

What sort of Jenny McCarthy websites are you reading? What late side effects of gardasil do think occurred? (I'll save you the furious Googling, there are none) When you write "they just made those payments" who do you think "they" refers to?

As of now, the taxpayers have been left holding the bag. We'll see how much Merck ultimately pays as the suits work through the system.

And again, how many mRNA vaccines have been distributed in the past 3 decades? What were their long-term effects? I'm eagerly awaiting your answer.

Do you get a flu vaccine every year? This is orders of magnitude more effective. And given that it was developed with the same tech as the flu vaccine, with a swapped out mRNA sequence its essentially going to be just as safe.

Do you get a flu vaccine every year? This is orders of magnitude more effective. And given that it was developed with the same tech as the flu vaccine, with a swapped out mRNA sequence its essentially going to be just as safe.

That is actually part of my point. I do get the flu vaccine almost every year, with marginal success. If this was the same delivery as the flu vaccine, or if seasonal flu vaccines were mRNA vaccines, then I'd be more likely to get it. But neither is the case. They are using an entirely new, untested, unproven delivery system on the biggest vaccine rollout in history, that also happens to be developed quicker and more rushed than pretty much anything ever. It might work fine, it might not, nobody knows. It is a complete crapshoot in the hands of an industry that has a major history of fucking things up left and right. If I'm at risk, then yeah I probably rush to get the vaccine. But if I'm not, then the recovery rate of the virus itself is the more reasonable alternative.

The reason they were able to develop it so quickly is its 99% proven tech.

The reason they were able to develop it so quickly is its 99% proven tech.

That is not the case at all. It has never been used for anything remotely like this in humans. Moderna is a paper company that literally has no history of anything whatsoever other than raising venture capital. Not one damn actual product. The media has spent the last 4 year screaming about Trump's paper tiger business tactics and that is exactly what this is; it is a Boiler Room pump and dump as evidenced by the stock maneuvers by their Board. Again it might work out of a combo of good timing and good luck, but there is no actual precedent for it. If there was, the seasonal flu vaccines would already be mRNA vaccines, but they are not. At least Pfizer has a name and history behind it, but again the actual vaccine itself is a complete unknown. If someone has to take it then take it, but it is a tough sell for those with no real virus risk until there is at least some level of established mRNA history.

The millions of mRNA that were transcribed and then translated for you to write that idiotic paragraph, there’s some mRNA history, it was in you all along.

To his credit Trump touted the vaccine as very safe last night. That should help.

To his credit Trump touted the vaccine as very safe last night. That should help.

to be fair, he undercut himself pretty badly by having Mark Meadows threaten to fire the head of the FDA if the vaccine wasn't approved yesterday.

Helpful info from the mayo clinic for those with concerns about vaccine side effects https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem....eatured-topic/covid-19-vaccine-myths-debunked. Also, how can you be more worried about the long term side effects of a vaccine when compared to the long term possible side effects of covid 19? I'll take my chances with the vaccine and let you take your chances with ED, increased risk of cardiovascular disease, etc.

I'm putting this out there and I really want thoughtful responses (in addition to hilarious ones).

Based on so much vaccination fear, I'm considering no longer wearing my mask. I want to open dialogue with others to let them know that I'm not having any side effects due to the Pfizer vaccine. The combined total of antivaxers and the much larger group of "well, it's probably safe, but I'll just slide by because it might not be safe" seem to be giving the vaccine process a really bad rep.

I've mentioned that I have the vaccine to maybe 30 people IRL. Approximately 25 of them responded to learning that information with, "oh wow, any side effects?"

After about the 10th time it happened, I started wondering why they would say that instead of, "what's that experience been like?" or "where'd you get it?" or any other of the 1,000 socially acceptable responses other than a response that seems to override social norms and speak to the fear/reticence w/r/t vaccines that people have.

My chief worry is that the people who spark dialogue with me about not wearing a mask will already be in the group of people who are going to get vaccinated.

What say you?

Back