• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I have no concern re: covid transmitting by touch or surface

am I wrong?

I would be more cautious than that. Here are a few circumstances that could cause transmission by contact:

Contagious person touches mouth, nose and gers viral load on hand. You then touch hands (handshake) and then touch your mouth, noe with your hand. Likely transmission event just happened.

Similarly, if a contagious person coughed, sneezed or spit on a surface, and you touched it and then your nose, mouth or eyes, you could be looking at a transmission.

These routes are not anywhere near the risk of direct airborne transmission, but they should not be regarded as zero risk.

So I got my mom coming in town to visit for a week. We're all vaccinated and ordinarily I'd indoor dining it up, but we are at about 3,000 cases/day in LA county which is equal to the fall/summer peak (winter peak was around 15-20k/day), would you skip the week of indoor dining in our shoes? I'm considering it, I haven't really gone out at all the past few weeks. Or do ya just say f'it we're vaccinated lets live our lives.

Big driver for me would be her mode of transportation. Planes, trains and automobiles all have different risks for transmission. How much contact does your family have with strangers? In this context a stranger is anyone whose vaccination status is unknown or not valued.

If stranger contacts are rare and she is driving, everybody get tested and if negative, have a good time.

Airports and airplanes scare me. Too much close quarters contact with strangers and a-holes.

Big driver for me would be her mode of transportation. Planes, trains and automobiles all have different risks for transmission. How much contact does your family have with strangers? In this context a stranger is anyone whose vaccination status is unknown or not valued.

If stranger contacts are rare and she is driving, everybody get tested and if negative, have a good time.

Airports and airplanes scare me. Too much close quarters contact with strangers and a-holes.

Well she’s already flying. So I’m more talking about the risk of indoor dining in general

Well she’s already flying. So I’m more talking about the risk of indoor dining in general

I seem to be a lot more cautious re: COVID than most but I would not be eating indoors in restaurants. Find a few outdoor dining spots to enjoy.

I seem to be a lot more cautious re: COVID than most but I would not be eating indoors in restaurants. Find a few outdoor dining spots to enjoy.

America is doing this all wrong. Vaccinated people are protected yet scared of their shadows, and unvaccinated who are knocking on deaths door are licking doorknobs and eating ass.

Last edited:
I would be more cautious than that. Here are a few circumstances that could cause transmission by contact:

Contagious person touches mouth, nose and gers viral load on hand. You then touch hands (handshake) and then touch your mouth, noe with your hand. Likely transmission event just happened.

Similarly, if a contagious person coughed, sneezed or spit on a surface, and you touched it and then your nose, mouth or eyes, you could be looking at a transmission.

These routes are not anywhere near the risk of direct airborne transmission, but they should not be regarded as zero risk.

Very difficult to pick up sufficient virus load by touching a surface to then transmit to yourself. Maybe not a zero risk, but close to it, from what I understand.

Airports and airplanes are pretty aggressively masked and one of the few places that assholes are afraid (for the most part) to defy the mandates. Maybe avoid large food courts like in the middle of ATL terminals, but between the masks and the plane's ventilation, that seems significantly lower risk than train/bus. I would dine outside or do takeout whenever possible.

I say this having come back from the west coast (Portland/Seattle/Hood River/Anacortes/Salem) where roughly half my meals were outdoors or takeout. Could have done better probably, but both my party and everyone we visited was fully vaccinated.

I was just out there (Portland/Cannon Beach/Willamette Valley/Mt. Hood) and I think roughly 95% of my meals were indoors. Most restaurants I visited out there are nowhere near full capacity.

I’m jealous. Looking forward to getting back up that way. We stuck with takeout and cooking ourselves and only did outdoor dining once on our road trip (Atlanta/Gatlinburg area/Charlotte/Triad/Triangle/Eastern NC).

Would one of the doctors on here please weigh in on the current scientific opinion regarding the effectiveness of natural immunity from being exposed to COVID versus the immunity one acquires by being fully vaccinated? I thought I recalled that it was believed to be not nearly as effective, but I'm seeing people claim that's not the case, citing to some Israeli study.

Well, Lamar Jackson has Covid for the second time, so there's a data point.

Would one of the doctors on here please weigh in on the current scientific opinion regarding the effectiveness of natural immunity from being exposed to COVID versus the immunity one acquires by being fully vaccinated? I thought I recalled that it was believed to be not nearly as effective, but I'm seeing people claim that's not the case, citing to some Israeli study.

The short answer is we don't know for sure. The data so far has been mixed. The best American data we have was a CDC study from Kentucky that was just published last week. Link here ([url]https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7032e1.htm?s_cid=mm7032e1_w)[/URL]. This showed odds of reinfection were higher (odds ratio of 2.34) in patients with natural immunity compared to those who were vaccinated. Relatively small study, and by no means definitive.

That said, there are lots of data suggesting natural immunity does provide pretty good protection against severe illness, especially in young people with intact immune systems. The best population level data I'm aware of is this publication of patients in Denmark. Link here ([url]https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00575-4/fulltext)[/URL]

In this study overall, natural immunity was about 80% effective in protecting against reinfection, which is as good as some of the vaccines (but not as good as the MRNA vaccines). The big concern for me was that for patients over 65 in their analysis, protection dropped all the way to 47%.

We also don't fully understand the impact of Delta variant on reinfection, at least that I'm aware of.

Tom, Rita: WTF happened?

I just recently came across Chet Hanks for the first time and boy is that an absolute mindfuck. Like, my brain is broken trying to imagine that Tom Hanks is this dipshit’s dad.

I just recently came across Chet Hanks for the first time and boy is that an absolute mindfuck. Like, my brain is broken trying to imagine that Tom Hanks is this dipshit’s dad.

yeah esp when Colin seems pretty normal

Same question for tilt re: infant immunity and antibody levels via nursing/breastmilk from vaccinated mothers?

What kind of data do we have on this? I have found it difficult to find accessible data.

Back