• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I just recently came across Chet Hanks for the first time and boy is that an absolute mindfuck. Like, my brain is broken trying to imagine that Tom Hanks is this dipshit’s dad.

lol the fake patois boy back

Same question for tilt re: infant immunity and antibody levels via nursing/breastmilk from vaccinated mothers?

What kind of data do we have on this? I have found it difficult to find accessible data.

I don't know a lot about this. I can try to find some stuff later. I found a couple of papers (here) and (here)

The ACOG (link) and SMFM (link) have practice advisories out that are very good.

This is direct from the SMFM link:

Fetal considerations
Counseling should weigh the risks of disease, the theoretical risk of harm, and the
potential benefits to the fetus. Available safety data for mRNA vaccines in pregnancy
include Developmental and Reproductive Toxicology (DART) data from Pfizer and
Moderna, limited data from pregnant persons inadvertently enrolled in clinical trials, and
data collected from the CDC’s v-safe program. None of the data have indicated safety
concerns or risks to pregnancy.
In a recent cohort study, maternal antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 were found to have
crossed the placenta after infection during pregnancy, and cord blood antibody
concentrations correlated with maternal antibody concentrations. These findings, which
have been replicated in other cohorts, demonstrate the potential for maternal antibodies
to transfer to the fetus and provide neonatal protection. They also suggest the need for
further data to determine if SARS-CoV-2 antibodies are protective against newborn
infection, the concentration needed to achieve protection, and whether vaccine-elicited
antibodies are similar to naturally acquired antibodies.
Another recent study showed the transfer of vaccine-induced IgG to the neonate, with
higher umbilical cord blood titers achieved with longer intervals from vaccination.
Boosting following the second vaccine dose resulted in augmented IgG levels in the
cord blood. These findings point to the ability of maternal mRNA vaccination to induce
immunologic protection to neonates through antibody transfer in utero and during
lactation.

Annoyingly, the links in the document aren't working for me, so I'm not sure right now if they are different from the ones I found.

6 unvaccinated members of Florida church died of Covid-19 in 2 weeks, pastor says

…Pastor George Davis at Impact Church in Jacksonville addressed members during Sunday's service and said the past week had been very difficult.

"We've had now six members of our church over the course of a couple weeks now that have passed away from Covid," said Davis during the service that was livestreamed on the church's Facebook page. "It has just absolutely ripped our hearts apart. The most recent one was actually a young lady on our worship team."

Davis told CNN affiliate WJXT on Friday that four of the deaths were members under the age of 35 and that they were all healthy -- but that none of them were vaccinated.

"It's pain," Davis told WJXT. "These are actual people that I know, that I have pastored. One 24-year-old kid, I've known him since he was a toddler."

He added that 15-20 church members were in the hospital battling Covid and around 10 members were at home with the virus…

Visited a big t-shirt factory in Monroe, a shopping center in Conover, and restaurants in Hickory, and Morganton. I could count the number of masks on one hand. Okay, really on one finger.

So Pfizer vaxxers get Moderna boosters? Have they determined if crossing vaccines works or not - or is it like crossing streams in Ghostbusters?

Local hospital reporting expected significant rise in hospitalized Covid patients. Anticipating this will worsen for at least the next couple of weeks. Approximately 90 percent are unvaccinated. Of those vaccinated, average age is around 77, with comorbidities, and typically received the vaccine pretty early on.

Suspecting a booster for folks like this to be approved sometime soon...?

The unvaccinated hospitalized folks are younger with no or fewer comorbidities. And they seem prone to crashing pretty fast.

Even despite mask mandate added back almost a month ago, and a lot of people changing their behavior, cases in LA keep going up, although not in a parabolic fashion.

WFU ID MD comments on football games…

Football attendance

The N.C. High School Athletic Association is not placing any COVID-19 related restrictions on its members at the start of the 2021-22 school year. The association is advising “best practices.”

Ohl said he supports permitting full seating capacity for high school football games in part because games are outside and in part because of how important ticket revenue is to support athletic departments.

“Everyone should wear a mask,” Ohl said. “Fans are shoulder to shoulder, yelling ... with more air movement.

“It’s the concept that the mask is there to help us do some of the things we would still like to do.”

Ohl said in terms of college football, he advises that fans be required to wear a mask when they are in tight surroundings, such as restrooms, concession stands and concourses.

Not sure I understand what seems to be some difference in his recommendations for college vs HS game attendees…?

Is the assumption that at college games people aren’t as close to each other or yelling as much in the stands???

Yep

The masking requirement sounds likely temporary in order to minimize spread during/following fall semester move in. Also it’s a somewhat nuanced policy.

I’ll copy the piece below for those interested who can’t access.

Wake Forest University said Thursday it will require all individuals — regardless of vaccination status — to wear a mask indoors, including in the classroom, to begin the fall semester.

“We anticipate this will be a temporary measure to allow for a smooth transition back to the classroom and campus environment,” according to the statement from Susan Wente, who is in her first year as university president, and provost Rogan Kersh.

“We will evaluate this decision weekly and make adjustments accordingly.”

The policy requires students who received a medical or religious exemption “to remain masked in all indoor settings except when in their personal residence hall room.”

Wake Forest is one of more than 600 U.S. colleges and universities requiring students to be vaccinated this fall, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education. Fourteen private N.C. schools have a vaccine requirement, including Duke University, Elon University, Salem College in Winston-Salem and Bennett College in Greensboro.

Wake Forest put its vaccine mandate in place near the end of the 2020-21 school year in which it recorded 1,646 cases of COVID-19, according to its online dashboard. More than 90% of cases were recorded in students, with big spikes coming in late October, November and early February.

The mask mandate is one of several steps the university is taking to ensure its ability to retain its residential community atmosphere and “be fully in-person” as the semester begins Aug. 23 for most undergraduate students. Most students are expected to return or move to campus next week.

Wente said 97% of students will be vaccinated by the time they arrive on campus, as well as 97% of faculty and staff.

Wake Forest reached that student participation level in part because students were informed in April that those not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or haven’t received an exemption would lose their campus housing and be removed from classes.

“As a residential community founded on the teacher-scholar model, we thrive on meaningful connection with one another animated by close collaboration among students, faculty and staff — collaboration that is at its best when it is in person,” according to the statement.

“With the arrival of students from all across the nation and world, and with a resurgence of community transmission in the region, this additional step of mask wearing adds a valuable layer of protection as we resume our residential and academic activities.

“While our position is strong, the most recent information regarding transmission of the delta variant requires some temporary modifications.”

Students who provided proof of vaccination may remove masks when in residence halls after the move-in period is over. Anyone alone in a private office may remove their mask.

Faculty and staff who have provided proof of vaccination may continue to remove masks in private shared workspaces.

Vaccinated faculty may opt to remove their masks when teaching or presenting if they are able to remain at least 10 feet from the audience.

However, classrooms will not be set up or assigned to accommodate any further distancing from the presenter than currently exists in the assigned space.

All visitors to campus will continue to wear masks indoors until further notice. The university added that requirement Aug. 2.

“It is important that we acknowledge that, based on the science and data available to us, our greatest risk does not come from within our own university community,” the officials said.

went to dinner last night in downtown Asheville and they asked at the door if we were vaxxed, and we just said yeah. They didn't ask to see proof but I guess if you weren't vaxxed you'd probably immediately throw a fit, so I guess it's an easy screening question. At least for now until vax mandates become more commonplace.

went to dinner last night in downtown Asheville and they asked at the door if we were vaxxed, and we just said yeah. They didn't ask to see proof but I guess if you weren't vaxxed you'd probably immediately throw a fit, so I guess it's an easy screening question. At least for now until vax mandates become more commonplace.

How many places are going that in Asheville. Saw on the gram a couple places in Austin are doing it.

Back