• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

You can buy a Fauchi pouchi on Amazon to put your card in, like a ticket holder, not expensive to get.

Yeah, the university I teach at in the summer already has an ID on a lanyard, so now I just wear 2 identifying documents on lanyards.

Does everyone who got the vaccine have virtual proof of it somewhere, and how do we access it? Got mine in Virginia.

The entire EU has QR code vaccine certificates and covid tests which are easily scanned at restaurants, cafes, hotels, wherever with Austria, Italy, France and Germany now requiring them at entry. They've been using this for months in a few countries. Just like credit card technology we're way behind the game.

Yeah, the university I teach at in the summer already has an ID on a lanyard, so now I just wear 2 identifying documents on lanyards.

Does everyone who got the vaccine have virtual proof of it somewhere, and how do we access it? Got mine in Virginia.

I keep a picture of the card on my phone as “virtual” proof. My sister scanned hers, then resized it and printed it on a wallet sized card and had it laminated.

The entire EU has QR code vaccine certificates and covid tests which are easily scanned at restaurants, cafes, hotels, wherever with Austria, Italy, France and Germany now requiring them at entry. They've been using this for months in a few countries. Just like credit card technology we're way behind the game.

I’m surprised no company has come up with this on their own and gotten businesses and states to sign on.

I live in FL - where you will be executed if you're caught with proof that you've been vaccinated. I find the safest thing to be going maskless and coughing a lot.

Last edited:

Click on this link - https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/prince-william/lost-your-covid-19-vaccination-card/
I had to submit my request online. 48 hours later I have a digital record of my Covid vaccinations as well as other vaccinations dating back 20 years

Not having a digital covid vax passport is a failure of the Biden admin. They were trying too hard to avoid political fallout, but there should have been a federal standard and app for this month's ago. You jam it down the throats of governors who posture against it.

Is that how you feel about proposing any policy that will anger his followers?

I was thinking today about the fact that, anecdotally, we seem to be getting a lot of breakthrough covid cases around here. So I was wondering about the statistics we heard describing the effectiveness of the vaccines. Obviously, the early numbers like 90% and higher, were not against the Delta variant. But, I was just wondering about what it really means to say that a vaccine is "90% effective". Does that mean that if you are exposed to the disease in a setting where transmission would normally be expected you only have a 10% chance of getting it? Or what?

If that is what it means, it seems like your likelihood of getting the disease would increase with repeated exposures - is that correct? In other words, if I only have a 10% chance of catching it from an exposure, but I get exposed to it 20 times, my likelihood of getting it goes way up - not 20 times because the exposures are independent - but still, the chance of something happening that has a 10% likelihood would get better and better the more chances you give it right?

So the fact that all these unvaccinated dolts are running around spreading the disease makes it more likely that breakthroughs will happen, and will happen with increasing frequency, right? Or am I thinking about this all wrong?

You are 90% protected against severe illness/hospitalization/death, not infection.

There is a lot of breakthrough because there is a lot more transmission happening. Because Delta is more transmissible and people aren’t masking/distancing like they were. 10% of a big number is bigger than 10% of a small number.

You are 90% protected against severe illness/hospitalization/death, not infection.

There is a lot of breakthrough because there is a lot more transmission happening. Because Delta is more transmissible and people aren’t masking/distancing like they were. 10% of a big number is bigger than 10% of a small number.

well that doesn't really answer his specific question. Yes, under the original strain you were 90% protected against getting it at all. Now that number is somewhere between 40-75% w/ Delta.

Your first statement is not correct. When they released the original data saying that Pfizer/Moderna were 90+% effective, they meant against being infected with the virus, not against severe illness, etc. Those numbers don't apply against Delta - they are still somewhat effective but not as high.

Because of all the breakthrough cases now, especially with Delta, they are focusing more on the effectiveness in preventing severe illness/hospitalization.

Your second statement is part of my point. But only part of it. My question was - how does repeated exposures impact the effectiveness of the vaccines. Let's say I am exposed to one person with Covid one time. Assuming it was the original version and I am fully vaccinated with Pfizer or Moderna, I should have a less than 10% chance of catching it, right? But let's say this is someone I see once a day, every day during their period of carrying and shedding the virus. Those repeated exposures are going to increase my likelihood of catching it, right? This is a point I have not heard anyone make when discussing the fact that there seem to be a lot of breakthroughs happening.

Back