• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I’m no virologist, but I have reached the point of being pretty frustrated with the fact that one positive case at this point will shut down my basketball program for 2 weeks even though 90 percent of my kids have been vaccinated. There hasn’t been a significant shift in policy in this aspect since over a year ago.

Yesss... yess...

One of us, one of us

I'm not sure it matters.

UuaW6jM.png

I spent most of Saturday in the ER at Cone and my anecdotal evidence is that people are using the ER for testing, and it's causing a serious logjam for patients that actually need care. They were triaging patients then putting them back out in the waiting room. They triaged me at 2PM, took blood, vitals, xrays, etc and then put me right back out in the waiting room. Every few hours they would come check vitals and draw blood for dozens of patients in the waiting room. I finally got admitted around 11PM.

It's pretty easy to see how the system can be overwhelmed just by testing. I can only imagine if the cases are severe how much worse it can get.

I’m no virologist, but I have reached the point of being pretty frustrated with the fact that one positive case at this point will shut down my basketball program for 2 weeks even though 90 percent of my kids have been vaccinated. There hasn’t been a significant shift in policy in this aspect since over a year ago.

Just throw his ass off the team.

I'm very much of the accord that if someone chooses not to get vaccinated, that is on them. My problem (which I have mentioned before) is that I have a compromised 3 year old at home, so not only is he unvaccinated, but also at higher risk for a bad case. Even though my wife and I are vaxxed and boosted, and my daughter is vaxxed, we still are very cautious. Even we have had to loosen up some, because it is negatively affecting my son's social development. My parents are fully vaxxed and boosted, and we are making them take tests Friday before they come in for the holidays.

I understand most people thinking "I'm vaxxed, I should be fine regardless," but there are certainly others in my situation who don't have that luxury. Moreover, I don't know if someone that isn't wearing a mask is vaxxed or not, because if someone isn't going to get vaxxed to protect others, they certainly aren't going to wear a mask to do so. Unfortunately, that's just where things are now. Partially because people suck, and partially because we are rapidly approaching the fall of society as we know it (relatively speaking). So I don't think that blaming people for being ultra cautious is terribly productive. Some people can be comfortable that they have done what they need to do, but others need to be more cautious. If you need to go after someone, go after the people who are preying on the stupidity/gullibility of others and trying to make things worse for society instead of better.

we are similar to redwing, the wife and I are going to a friend pre-Christmas get together. we are all vaxxed and boosted but we took tests today and sent our results to each other for the party today. really worried about my wife's family that we will spend C-eve and Christmas. we sort of asked for the same thing but only half responded...

:werd:

I’ve been wearing N95s exclusively for the last few weeks. They’re more comfortable than cloth anyway.

Aren't N95's supposed to be custom fitted to your face? Where do you get this done?

Tested positive for covid in Todos Santos, Mexico

worse places to get stuck
That really sucks, so you have to have a negative test before you come back? Wife and I are going to Colombia on Thursday so we'll probably take a rapid test Tuesday or Wednesday and cross our fingers we don't get COVID while we're there

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/24/health/cloth-mask-omicron-variant-wellness/index.html

CNN pretty much admitting that unless you wear a N95 mask, masking is pointless.

Yeah no shit, this has been the #science for months.

"Cloth masks are little more than facial decorations. There's no place for them in light of Omicron," said CNN Medical Analyst Dr. Leana Wen, an emergency physician and visiting professor of health policy and management at the George Washington University Milken Institute School of Public Health, on CNN Newsroom Tuesday. "This is what scientists and public health officials have been saying for months, many months, in fact,"

I educated Drs. Rafi and "I kill more patients than Tobacco" Road on this topic from studies over the summer when I pointed out that masking in schools was nothing more than a psychological move having no real effect. Kids all wear cloth masks to school, very few wear surgical and virtually none wear N95. The whole exercise has been a waste of time dog and pony show. But the WFHElite needed their false confidence, so mask up. Another brick in the wall. Luckily, we're dealing with an illness with such low rates of serious symptoms, especially in kids, that the continued misguided efforts of the stooges whose puppet strings are being pulled are nothing more than minor inconveniences.

Yeah no shit, this has been the #science for months.

I educated Drs. Rafi and "I kill more patients than Tobacco" Road on this topic from studies over the summer when I pointed out that masking in schools was nothing more than a psychological move having no real effect. Kids all wear cloth masks to school, very few wear surgical and virtually none wear N95. The whole exercise has been a waste of time dog and pony show. But the WFHElite needed their false confidence, so mask up. Another brick in the wall. Luckily, we're dealing with an illness with such low rates of serious symptoms, especially in kids, that the continued misguided efforts of the stooges whose puppet strings are being pulled are nothing more than minor inconveniences.

Imagine typing this out at 7 AM on Christmas morning.

Back