• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Take this BS to the politics thread whataburger. It's not CNN admitting anything. It's not just N95s, and it is specific to Omicron.

Whataburger is delicious you shut your whore mouth lol.

But yes N95 masks work well, surgical masks work somewhat, and cloth masks that 95% of people wear don’t add much protection.

This is hilarious gotcha concern trolling. You know 2&2, Junebug, and cata don’t want more people to be safer by requiring N95 masks and making sure everyone has one. Nope. They want to denigrate mask wearing so we are less safe because fewer people are wearing masks.

We all see through your game.

95 masks cost six or seven times more then disposable surgical masks and we were told not to use them and to leave them for medical professionals last summer after they told us we didn’t need to wear masks. We are not getting out of this by wearing N95 masks to prevent the spread of Omicron. Get vaccinated and ride it out is the only option. And yes, that is very unfortunate for the immunocompromised and infirm but shaming someone for not switching gears and buying up a bunch of expensive N95 masks two years into this thing is not going to have the desired effect.

Evusheld, a long-acting (6 month) prophylactic monoclonal antibody combination, was approved 2 weeks ago and is now available in many health systems. It’s a good option for immunocompromised individuals who may not mount an immune response to the vaccines - it’s important for these individuals to know about this option.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Be safe out there folks.

8e430a7269a4984a7d9393436f44b66c.jpg

Just got double jabbed (Pfizer and flu) and feel wonky. First flu shot in years, so pretty sure that's it, as I didn't feel bad after either of the first 2 Pfizers.

Shit is going around big time if my anecdotal experiences are any indication. Brother's kid had it, and now they probably do. They told their son to go see their other uncle rather than come home and risk getting Covid (would hurt occupational trajectory to test positive). Went and saw his other uncle along with three of his cousins and my parents and that uncle (my other brother) tested positive yesterday. So a pretty good chance that all my immediate family and extended family got this. Then I had a fever last night and got tested today-- results tonight at the earliest. Could just be a bug, but better to be safe than sorry.

Then my good friend who I saw yesterday and is in town to see his in-laws had two of his in-laws test positive.

Anyway, point being that in the next week to ten days cases are going to be off the charts.

people in my family seem to be testing negative a lot faster post-positive test than the stuff I've read about Delta, at least with rapid tests

Wife and I are traveling to Colombia leaving Thursday afternoon. We were thinking about getting tested tomorrow so at least we wouldn't be going while positive. Not sure if we can just pick up a test fun the pharmacy or how that's supposed to work, and how quickly results come back. Any advice?

Wife and I are traveling to Colombia leaving Thursday afternoon. We were thinking about getting tested tomorrow so at least we wouldn't be going while positive. Not sure if we can just pick up a test fun the pharmacy or how that's supposed to work, and how quickly results come back. Any advice?
You can buy two rapid tests as CVS for $25. They take fifteen minutes total.

You should check with someone who knows stuff though bc I was told that not all rapid tests show omicron. The test I got at cvs is supposedly one that does -- "QuickVue" -- and has 15% false negative and less than 1% false positive.

You can buy two rapid tests as CVS for $25. They take fifteen minutes total.

You should check with someone who knows stuff though bc I was told that not all rapid tests show omicron. The test I got at cvs is supposedly one that does -- "QuickVue" -- and has 15% false negative and less than 1% false positive.

I have been to 3 CVS’s in the last week and all tests are sold out.

My understanding is that the Binax Now rapid test by Abbott doesn't rely on the spike protein for testing so variations in the spike protein such as Omicron shouldn't affect the testing capabilities.

I have been to 3 CVS’s in the last week and all tests are sold out.
Ok, that's unfortunate. But since that's clearly not true everywhere, perhaps you shouldn't write in such a way that implies all CVSs are out of stock. I don't think you and io live in the same city.

Back