• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

my boss' first grader just tested positive for Covid -- he's vaxxed and was positive with Covid in the fall too

known a few twice-positive folks, but this is easily the shortest amount of time between positive tests that I've heard about, ~5 months apart

everyone else was more than a year

They were leaving the country the first week of February ? Doesn't he have school ?

Maybe going to see elderly/immucompromised/unvaccinated family members?

Feeling shitty, hope I don’t have it, but I’ve had a covid+ 3yo coughing into my mouth for the past week so…

The countries with the highest mean BMI, Tonga and Samoa, have extremely low rates of COVID death.

Peru has the highest COVID death rate in the world, yet their population has a completely middle of the road mean BMI.
Is this trying to imply that being overweight doesn’t greatly increase your chances of severe covid? Because that is dangerous misinformation

Is this trying to imply that being overweight doesn’t greatly increase your chances of severe covid? Because that is dangerous misinformation

No. It was not meant to imply anything; it was a statement of fact. The countries with the highest BMIs do not have the highest risk of death from COVID. The best studies of risk factors for severe COVID suggest the following order of risks: old age, cardiovascular disease, chronic kidney disease, diabetes, hypertension, etc. Obesity is #10 on this list, so it appears to be a risk but on its own not as big as several others, and I am not aware of any evidence that losing weight changes one's risk of severe COVID.

No. It was not meant to imply anything; it was a statement of fact. The countries with the highest BMIs do not have the highest risk of death from COVID. The best studies of risk factors for severe COVID suggest the following order of risks: old age, cardiovascular disease, chronic kidney disease, diabetes, hypertension, etc. Obesity is #10 on this list, so it appears to be a risk but on its own not as big as several others, and I am not aware of any evidence that losing weight changes one's risk of severe COVID.

What would you consider evidence of this - studying people that had covid when they were overweight and then had it again after they lost weight? That would be impractical. The fact that it is #10 on the list of risk factors after a bunch of serious medical conditions makes it pretty clear.

That list says people who are obese being more at risk than people are not. That’s very different than saying people who lose weight are at lower risk.

That list says people who are obese being more at risk than people are not. That’s very different than saying people who lose weight are at lower risk.

This is exactly right.

What would you consider evidence of this - studying people that had covid when they were overweight and then had it again after they lost weight? That would be impractical. The fact that it is #10 on the list of risk factors after a bunch of serious medical conditions makes it pretty clear.

No, the study design would be to prospectively follow a group of people that lost weight at the beginning of the pandemic and compare them to a similar group that didn’t lose weight. Their rates of COVID infection, hospitalization, death, etc. would be compared.

You could also retrospectively identify these comparison groups, but a prospective study would be more powerful.

Out of all the shit you have seen on this thread, you are going after Rafi for disinformation?

How are your parents doing

My dad tested positive and then negative so he went back to work, my mom basically has mild flu symptoms and a bad headache. At this point I’m most worried about my sister in Northern Kentucky who has COVID and pneumonia. She was iced in the last time
I checked on her and not doing well. Since my last update my SIL and her husband have both tested positive. I’m going to take a PCR test tomorrow and mail it in

This is true. However obesity is linked to causing at least 3 of those more serious factors. I imagine it's difficult to study mortality impact of significant weight loss in Covid patients. The absence of any such study is likely due to not being able to have enough data points. I do know that for bariatric patients there are ongoing studies because they can measure significant weight loss in a period of months, and the surgery has something like a 60% chance of reversing diabetes and a 75% chance of reversing hypertension.

It's not a stretch to believe that significant weight loss would actually decrease the risk of dying from covid from diabetes and hypertension specifically.

This is true. However obesity is linked to causing at least 3 of those more serious factors. I imagine it's difficult to study mortality impact of significant weight loss in Covid patients. The absence of any such study is likely due to not being able to have enough data points. I do know that for bariatric patients there are ongoing studies because they can measure significant weight loss in a period of months, and the surgery has something like a 60% chance of reversing diabetes and a 75% chance of reversing hypertension.

It's not a stretch to believe that significant weight loss would actually decrease the risk of dying from covid from diabetes and hypertension specifically. That said there doesn't exist any sort of study that would back that up, and public health decisions are not based on guesses.

It’s a reasonable hypothesis that significant weight loss (intentional by healthy means) in obese people would generally improve their risk factor profile (and actual risks) for Covid morbidity and mortality.

Yes, sometimes reasonable hypothesis don’t pan out when actually studied.

Of course, obesity has been recognized for a long time as a risk factor for many health problems and attempts to address obesity have been ongoing for a good while.

But them many countries whut have managed to achieve far lower mortality rates from Covid than us have done so not by getting obese people to lose weight but rather by mechanisms more available and achievable that we’ve not found the collective and/or individual will to successfully pursue.

Last edited:
My dad tested positive and then negative so he went back to work, my mom basically has mild flu symptoms and a bad headache. At this point I’m most worried about my sister in Northern Kentucky who has COVID and pneumonia. She was iced in the last time
I checked on her and not doing well. Since my last update my SIL and her husband have both tested positive. I’m going to take a PCR test tomorrow and mail it in

Oh man, thoughts are with your sister.

It’s a reasonable hypothesis that significant weight loss (intentional by healthy means) in obese people would generally improve their risk factor profile for Covid morbidity and mortality.

Yes, sometimes reasonable hypothesis don’t pan out when actually studied.

Of course, obesity has been recognized for a long time as a risk factor for many health problems and attempts to address obesity have been ongoing for a good while.

But them many countries whut have managed to achieve far lower mortality rates from Covid than us have done so not by getting obese people to lose weight but rather by mechanisms more available and achievable that we’ve not found the collective and/or individual will to successfully pursue.

Yeah, it's not like this hasn't been a known public health issue for a long time. And when Michelle Obama had the audacity to suggest changing that type of outcome for our kids, the 2&2's of the world lost their idiot minds.

Smaller countries like Tonga with lesser population densities are less at risk of overwhelming their health care system.

Back