• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

i suspect you'll see a good uptick in flu vaccines next year.

Wait until the anti-vaxxers refuse the coronavirus vaccine.

They'll refuse the coronavirus vaccine. But they'll take the Trump Freedom from Chinese Virus shot.

Feels like this is just going to fall in line with the seasonal flu once this initial pandemic subsides. Maybe there will be an annual vaccine drive as with the flu now, but either way, it's not like there's some "cure" out there that will erase the thing in its entirety.

People need to stop with this bullshit comparison as it's not helpful. It's obviously much more contagious and much deadlier than the flu. It is also (thankfully) not likely to mutate like the Flu (which has properties that make it easier to mutate into new strains). So once have a vaccine that should be good enough -- with the caveat that anything is possible. I am paraphrasing an actual expert, so might be using the wrong terminology but feel free to read up: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/07/health/coronavirus-mutations-analysis/index.html

On Flu Mutation: https://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/genetics-of-the-influenza-virus-716/

The genomes of all influenza viruses are composed of eight single-stranded RNA segments (Figure 1).
Due to the segmented nature of the influenza genome, in which coding sequences are located on individual RNA strands, genomes are readily shuffled in host cells that are infected with more than one flu virus. For example, when a cell is infected with influenza viruses from different species, reassortment can result in progeny viruses that contain genes from strains that normally infect birds and genes from strains that normally infect humans, leading to the creation of new strains that have never been seen in most hosts

image.jpg

Makes for a hell of a nature fights back, elderly are killed, the young are rendered sterile, population declines and the earth saves itself. Also the start of handmaidens tale in the United States.

To be fair, Gen Z wasn’t going to be able to afford kids anyway.

I”ve got gallons of jizz in my downstairs freezer.

Back