• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Related thought. It's wild to me that basically every high school kid ends up taking algebra 2 and trig, and many end up taking calculus. An pretty much nobody uses that stuff in real life. But did anyone actually take stats in high school? It wasn't even an option for me. Seems way more useful, no?

Why not both? (speaking as someone who does regularly use calculus). I had a stat class in my public high school, but it may have only been offered one year. I definitely think it can offer critical thinking while being a more "accesible" math.

I breezed through to precalculus and calculus and multivariate calculus my last two of high school kicked my ass. I remember my freshman year at trying to help some girls with their calculus homework and I was useless.

I actually have a pretty well cited article on this very topic.

Ellen Kirkman gave me my only C at Wake. My buddy was genius - he tanked the final, got a D, then retook it in summer school and got an A which replaced the D on his transcript. Policy at the time is that you could do that with a D or F (but not with a C). This was Stone Age before +/- grading had hit Wake.

i mean, pedagogy isn't just about putting useful things into your brain.

i.e. developing a skill sometimes means learning foundations or theory that scaffold into more applied knowledge.

also maybe there was someone in one of those classes who does rely on writing out full length equations? hard to tailor class to each specific student's future.

This. For example, statistics uses calculus. No one-not even calculus people-integrates a Gaussian by hand, but the principles of calculus are fundamental to figuring out where the confidence interval endpoints of a gaussian end up.

Why not both? (speaking as someone who does regularly use calculus). I had a stat class in my public high school, but it may have only been offered one year. I definitely think it can offer critical thinking while being a more "accesible" math.

what do you regularly use calculus for? being a mathematician doesn't count.

Whats the article about Ph? Is there any dive into why certain teachers and classes feel the need to be gate keepers to majors that springboard you to advanced careers. Like organic chemistry is made more difficult and challenging than it needs to be thus eliminating people that want to be Pre-med.

How Physics and Calculus course taking and achievement is associated with engineering students switching to other majors.

Whats the article about Ph? Is there any dive into why certain teachers and classes feel the need to be gate keepers to majors that springboard you to advanced careers. Like organic chemistry is made more difficult and challenging than it needs to be thus eliminating people that want to be Pre-med.

you mean why chairs and administrators feel the need?

hell, even then Kuhn's paradigm probably explains this choice better.

Calc 2 was very helpful in convincing me what I already knew. I was supposed to be a history major with a comp sci minor, not the other way around like I started at Wake.

Calc 2 was very helpful in convincing me what I already knew. I was supposed to be a history major with a comp sci minor, not the other way around like I started at Wake.

Yeah. As I’ve researched “weed out” STEM prerequisite courses, I’m glad I went to NC Science & Math and took college level physics and calculus courses before college so I already knew it wasn’t for me.

Calc 111 was my math peak. Lots of overlap between that and AP calculus part 1 or whatever it was in high school. Wake didn’t give divisional credit for that at the time. So that class was a fairly easy 4 credit A right off the bat as a freshman at Wake. Decided to end real math on a high note after that.

Beginning stats with Daniels was not too bad. He’d write out his lectures literally verbatim on the chalkboard. So bizarre but hey it got things to stick enough for like a B+ or A-.

Just acted to fuck my GPA up. I placed out of all the Math and Science classes before I even got to Wake. 12% of my college credits were fucking French.

And forget about taking the hard sciences at wake. I took football astronomy and got the hell out of there. Anything else you’re just begging for a C or worse to hit your GPA.

I took AP Calc in high school. Made all Bs through the year and somehow ended up with a 5 on the AP test. Took Astronomy and Physics and never took a math or hard science class again at Wake.

Yeah children might be a problem. Introducing Camp Covid

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6931e1.htm?s_cid=mm6931e1_w

Yeah, a major problem. Of those that were tested, 76% were positive (260 campers and counselors).

Nah, that’s fake.

Trump says kids are essentially immune.

I actually recently started using calculus, though a program does the heavy lifting of course. Haven't taken it since freshman year, though (18 years ago... holy shit).

what do you regularly use calculus for? being a mathematician doesn't count.

Thermodynamic & quantum mechanical calculations. Teaching right now, but it also was part of my research. I also like to do FiveThirtyEight's puzzle of the week for fun, which sometimes requires calculus.

Back