• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

North Carolina is Awesome

Spent this past weekend in New Jersey:

- It smelled. Driving on the turnpike was horrible. In our car, we had 7 people that had been outside partying/dancing/raving all day and after having the windows down for a minute, we rolled them back up because we cumulatively smelled better than the air outside.

- A lot of the people sucked. I know that 100% of the blame here can't go to NJ, but I also know that based off seeing many of these sucky people tailgating with NJ license plates as well as matching up with NJ stereotypes (they exist for a reason), I attribute a significant amount of the suckiness to people from Jersey. At a festival where the general theme is people uniting for music, a general one love feeling as even the title has the word Daisy in it, some people just did whatever possible to remain assholes. Compared to similar concerts for the same type of music out west or in the south, I've never seen so much resistance or persistence to their 'hard' image. And this was a very common opinion by people who had been to similar concerts/festivals in other areas.

- Everything just looked so dirty. Granted, we didn't go south of Edison, NJ, but just nothing looked nice. The water was always gross. Buildings were disheveled. It just didn't look like a place I'd be happy about waking up in every day. You can say that I'm using north Jersey to unfairly judge the whole state, but if you look at a population distribution map, north Jersey is where most the people live.

And HeavyPetter, little known fact is I was actually born in Ridgewood, NJ. Lived there for 2 weeks and got out as quickly as possible.

It would be as if I came on this thread and started destroying North Carolina if my only experiences there were driving through the state and attending a couple of NASCAR races.

But that would never happen. NASCAR races are awesome. They let you bring beer into the tracks.

If only we could have all been in the infield at last weekend's Preakness, we would have seen Maryland at its best.

I'm fairly sure there are a lot of people that aren't aware that South Jersey exists. Most all the northern jersey cities are some of the worst cities on earth. Some of the neighborhoods outside of NY are really nice.

I love peeps from South Jersey always are like "no, no, no.. South Jersey is cool." No it's not, instead of wannabe New York douches you got wannabe Philly douches. They are still awful and they love grit and other working class values.

Also, leave it to the Jersey folks to make a thread about how great NC is into something about them. This is why people hate you.

Reactions: ITK
img_awards.jpg

Related to the thread (but totally unrelated to the discussion), I enjoyed two of my favorite things about N.C. over the past couple of days--barbecue at White Swan in Smithfield on Sunday, and a trip by the Wake ticket office yesterday to renew my football season tickets. Life is good.

Last edited:
I love peeps from South Jersey always are like "no, no, no.. South Jersey is cool." No it's not, instead of wannabe New York douches you got wannabe Philly douches. They are still awful and they love grit and other working class values.

Also, leave it to the Jersey folks to make a thread about how great NC is into something about them. This is why people hate you.

Actually, I'm pretty sure this started because I said something about how what is "close" or considered not a long drive is relative. Someone else brought NJ in to it, like they always do, because he knew I lived there.

People in Charlotte don't go to the Outer Banks.

When people in the eastern half of the state say they're "going to the beach" they mean the Outer Banks, when people from the west say it, they mean Myrtle Beach aka Redneck Riviera.

When people in the eastern half of the state say they're "going to the beach" they mean the Outer Banks, when people from the west say it, they mean Myrtle Beach aka Redneck Riviera.

That's reallly not true. Nobody with any money or any sense goes to Myrtle Beach, especially from NC.

Disagree, I'd say everyone I went to HS with in Nam had a place at Wrightsville. And most of my Wake friends from Raleigh as well. I would think that is the beach of the east. And the surrounding ones.

I feel like Charlotte is more likely to go to Charleston.

Last edited:
With the improvements to US Highway 74 and its eventual conversion to Interstate, the Wilmington area is very accessible from Charlotte, only a little further than the Charleston beaches. It's practically the same drive time from Charlotte to Wrightsville or the BHI Ferry as to IOP, SC.

The MB area is actually farther due to the roads and traffic, but I-73 should change some of that.

i think charlotte natives with the necessary means are more likely to be found in wrightsville, ocean isle, holden beach, bald head or oak island. by charlotte i mean within the boundaries of park road to providence road (out to randloph for a bit) to inside hwy 51 (maybe inside 485 if you're stretching it).

With the improvements to US Highway 74 and its eventual conversion to Interstate, the Wilmington area is very accessible from Charlotte, only a little further than the Charleston beaches. It's practically the same drive time from Charlotte to Wrightsville or the BHI Ferry as to IOP, SC.

The MB area is actually farther due to the roads and traffic, but I-73 should change some of that.

It used to be a 7 hour drive from Asheville to Wilmington by the time it was all said and done (maybe 6.5 if you didn't stop, but you usually had to stop). I just google mapped it and it said 5 hours 41 minutes, which probably means you can do it in 5:20 or so.
Used to have to go I-40 the whole way....now you go to Charlotte and take 74, much more direct, but you couldn't do that (or it took forever) 10 years ago (the last time I was in Wilminton)

74 is still a nightmare from charlotte until about wadesboro. i've got a route from clt to fayetteville that saves about 20-30mins avoiding 74 all together. I'm wondering if this can be adjusted to a beach route that avoids 74 until you get to the sandhills. may have to try it this summer.

i think charlotte natives with the necessary means are more likely to be found in wrightsville, ocean isle, holden beach, bald head or oak island. by charlotte i mean within the boundaries of park road to providence road (out to randloph for a bit) to inside hwy 51 (maybe inside 485 if you're stretching it).

Or DeBordieu, Litchfield, Pawleys, IOP, Sullivans, and Folly.

If you catch Hwy 74 outbound at the right time of the day, it's not that bad. I've never found the shortcuts to save me much time, and I don't really go to Fayetteville or Wilmington that much anyway.

74 is still a nightmare from charlotte until about wadesboro. i've got a route from clt to fayetteville that saves about 20-30mins avoiding 74 all together. I'm wondering if this can be adjusted to a beach route that avoids 74 until you get to the sandhills. may have to try it this summer.

ugh, "nightmare" can't even describe how awful 74 is for that stretch.

Back