• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

North Carolina Redistricting

Wake County would have 4 different reps. Seven counties have at least three reps. Some of those counties don't have a great deal of population either.

This type of redistricting ignores the intent of the constitution to have the local citizenry represented. When lines are drawn to benefit a political party, that's who benefits, the party. Ultimately, the rep is more beholden to his party, relying more on it to pump money into his campaign, than his constituents.

Thirteen states, including California, have commissions which do the redistricting and in some cases the legislature has no say at all.

Yep. I don't know why some are go committed to having the foxes build the hen houses.

A couple of geographers and demographers from Big State U. could do this job more effectively than the politicians.

Over 90% of incumbents win their general election. If the only challenge reps face is from within their party, they have no reason to care what other citizens think. Draw districts on political AND racial lines and it's even worse.

Because this board isn't populated by fans who went to a school in Illinois, and the majority of people on this board don't live/aren't from Illinois?

Also - the most ridiculous thing about these districts (I think it's worse than the current ones in this respect) is how cities are split down the middle. People who live in one city have mostly the same concerns/issues that need to be represented.

PhDeac doesn't live in NC, though, right?

People in north Charlotte have the same concerns/issues as people in Providence? That's what you're going with?

Yep. I don't know why some are go committed to having the foxes build the hen houses.

A couple of geographers and demographers from Big State U. could do this job more effectively than the politicians.

Over 90% of incumbents win their general election. If the only challenge reps face is from within their party, they have no reason to care what other citizens think. Draw districts on political AND racial lines and it's even worse.

Take it to the Supreme Court...again.

I'm done with this thread. It's just recovering old ground. Be sure to bitch and moan about the Dem-controlled gerrymanders in other states. The Voting Rights Act was signed into law by a Democrat, by the way. Good luck getting it repealed.

All those states that have commissions still have racially-motivated gerrymanders because the law requires it.

This type of redistricting ignores the intent of the constitution to have the local citizenry represented.

No, it doesn't. For the last time (from me anyway), the Supreme Court has already ruled on that and from Bonilla's redistricting being struck down, the logical conclusion is that NOT gerrymandering is a violation of law.

Because this board isn't populated by fans who went to a school in Illinois, and the majority of people on this board don't live/aren't from Illinois?

Also - the most ridiculous thing about these districts (I think it's worse than the current ones in this respect) is how cities are split down the middle. People who live in one city have mostly the same concerns/issues that need to be represented.

PhDeac doesn't live in NC, though, right?

People in north Charlotte have the same concerns/issues as people in Providence? That's what you're going with?

I lived in NC my whole life until I moved to FL 7 years ago. Tarboro, Durham, Winston, and back to Durham. Spent plenty of time around the state from about an hour NE of Murphy to Manteo. Hurts me to not be there, but I've got a good thing going here.

Did you think I was from Illinois?

Article from the Charlotte Observer today talks about how carving up counties leaves some areas less represented.

GwJvm.St.138.jpg

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/07/11/2444972/new-voting-districts-are-all-over.html

I'll bump this to show the new Congressional Districts of Maryland map

256901.jpg

Dang, JDawg beat me to it. That Baltimore City map is obscene.

this is the third district, which it looks like I'm in

257852.jpg

Which is why I favor districts based on county lines. Unfortunately, you belong to a party that favors corraling minorities into their own Dem districts and I belong to a race who figures a few guaranteed house spots is progress.

Is this a real comment?

So they took Asheville out of the 11th? I guess having a district where either side could win was a terrible thing.

About 70% of Asheville's population moved to the 10th IIRC. Pretty much guarantees a republican out of the 11th and 10th. Other than Asheville the old 11th was overwhelmingly conservative (just not a lot of votes) while Asheville is overwhelmingly liberal (with more votes than the rest of the old 11th put together). Now there aren't enough asheville votes to sway the 11th and there are enough conservative votes in the 10th to keep out the dems.

Not that I'm complaining, but from a districting standpoint Asheville needs to be in the 11th with the rest of the south/central mountains

HeavyPetter said:
Article from the Charlotte Observer today talks about how carving up counties leaves some areas less represented.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/07/11/2444972/new-voting-districts-are-all-over.html

Anyway you slice it, I'm stuck with Foxx.

Back