• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

November 10th, 1964: 50 Years Ago

I thought you graduated in 64....

Another in our rotation was a place off of Silas Creek just called The Restaurant. There was a place in Reynolda Manor Shopping Center (K&B I think) that gave free movie tickets if you ate there on certain days.

Then, of course, there was Bell Brothers and Simo's.

Senior year Pizza Garden opened.

Big Al, I hadn't heard that name in a while. We used to call it Little Staley's.

BTW, "Big Al" Dillard, who was the long-time manager at Staley's and a big WF supporter & friend to the WF students, lived in Kernersville and died on January 13th, 1993 at the age of 67.

how do you know these things?

In the 80s, when Boj was young, the OG&B would carry a coupon for a $2.25 meal - two pieces of chicken, biscuit and dirty rice. They never added "not good with other offers" so you could always get the free tea too for being a Wake student. Had many a meal under that deal.

hell cicis pizza had an all you can eat pizza buffet for 2.99 when i was at wake.

How do y'all remember how much food cost so long ago? I only remember the beer specials at Ziggy's, and that was the 90's.

How do y'all remember how much food cost so long ago? I only remember the beer specials at Ziggy's, and that was the 90's.

I can remember my food budget was about $20-30/week for three years. Those things get burned into your brain. :)

I think it was Shakey's Pizza on Reynolda Road next to the original DKE House.

I don't get the WS papers. You can find almost anything on the internet.

I have almost 8,000 dated entries now.....over a 60-year period, though 98% of them are after my 10th birthday in September, 1956. That averages out to almost three entries per week over a 58-year period.

Started doing this on an every day basis about ten years ago, but have used all kinds of research vehicles to continually add older entries. For example, I was dating my now wife of 46 years all the way thru my 4 years at WF. She had kept 139 dated letters I had written her from WF in a box in the attic all these years....which was very helpful since they referenced things that were going on at Wake, weekend date plans, etc. So I have more than 500 dated entries from my 4 years at WF. Then I kept a daily diary during the two years I was in the army. Also kept ticket stubs from all sports events & concerts, etc. that I went to over all the years.

Also have diary color-coded fonts (green=birthdays, red=deaths, blue=weddings/anniversaries, purple=trips, etc.) & background color-coding to signify certain kinds of events.

All entries are in a series of searchable columns on an excel spreadsheet, so, for example, I kind easily search for all entries for any particular day of the year. And with almost 8,000 entries, that means I have an average of about 22 entries for each of the 365 days in the year.

I'm always adding older entries as I can find them, in addition to new entries for every day now. Have it backed up, of course. The last time I printed the entire thing it was almost 200 full pages long. (Don't bother to print the whole thing very often since any full copy is immediately outdated & incomplete as more entries are added.) Also have several "spin-off" charts from the full diary.....things like the 10 most memorable days from each of the last 58 years, etc.

QFP

the+conspiracy+terrence.jpg

I wonder what his entries look like in the post-OGB era.

September 16, 2014, 9:00 AM
Dear Diary,
Logged into the boards again this morning, only to see a lot of posts I don't remember making about Adrian Peterson. Most of them are coherent and intelligently written, but I'm afraid the Lunesta might be interacting with my bedtime grapefruit/cranberry juice cocktail again. Remind me to call the doctor tomorrow.

Back