• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

November 10th, 1964: 50 Years Ago

Yeah, I wondered about that, too. I guess they were thinking more about the religious implications of the cross as a way to strike out against the Baptists. Not sure exactly who came up with that idea. (They also had an old-fashioned "panty raid" on the girls' dorms, too. WF was a pretty closely-restricted environment then and the students were just doing anything they could think of to take out their frustrations and "revolt" a little bit.)

Along the lines of restrictions, one of my favorites happened at New Dorm (Luter). When it was first opened, men lived on the ground floor and women on the other floors. At 10 PM during the week, the elevators were turned off. That was supposed to stop after hours intervisitation.

That seems like a safety code violation. If the women had an emergency, what were they supposed to do....jump out the window?

Men were told not use them to women's floors. Women were told not to use them to see men on the ground floor after 10 PM.

I was responding to bkf's comment about an emergency, I just didnt quote his original post.

That seems like a safety code violation. If the women had an emergency, what were they supposed to do....jump out the window?

What kind of emergency are you talking about where using stairs wouldn't be a better solution than an elevator?

"Girls, it's a fire! Let's all get into the elevator!"

geico-horror-movie-ss-04.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
All of you are extremely insensitive, everyone knows that Luter was the handicap dorm back then. What are they suppose to do wheel themselves up the stairs for some disabled sex? The only ones that could walk the stairs were the hearing impaired and they were always caught when their passionate love making reached extreme decibels like two bull walruses fighting.

I believe it was called New Dorm, as rj has mentioned on here 1,431 times.

I was six years ahead of RJ, I believe. Don't think that dorm even existed while I was at Wake.

I just didn't understand the point in locking the elevators when you could simply use the stairs instead. That's what had me confused. I just assumed there weren't any stairs....though that doesn't make much sense either, when you think about it.

Yes. That would actually be a code violation.

I was responding to bkf's comment about an emergency, I just didnt quote his original post.

my bad.....another thing was the tunnel to the girls dorm. We weren't supposed to use it.

When I was at Wake, New Dorm (not yet Luter) was referred to as the butt fuck dorm. Because if you lived there, you did nothing but fuck.

This predates Harvard's wimpy seminar on anal copulation.

That was not the same concert that I am talking about. This one was 50 years ago tonight....November 10th, 1964.

(If they had been performing behind Reynolda Hall they would have already been there for the protest.)

Yeah, I know. That was just extra information. It won't be on the test.

I was at the protest, but don't remember much but the fire. Was this the time the rumor was going around that we had been promised a lot of money from someone (Reynolds?) if we would separate from the Baptists? And talk of becoming Reynolds University?

How did you like the prices in some of the ads in that OG&B?

Ketner's Reynolda Manor Cafeteria: Lunch - Meat, two vegetables, bread, dessert & tea.......79 cents. (Of course, the same thing at dinner set you back a whopping 97 cents.)

An Asian buffet in the Magnolia Room (Thursday special): $1.00

I was there about ten years after you were. I can remember the Staley's Special (like a Bob's Big Boy) -a triple decker cheeseburger w/fries for $0.99. The pizza on Reynolda Rd. had a $1.29 lunch buffet. If I'm not mistaken, The Lighthouse had a 10 oz hamburger steak, with a salad, veggies and a potato for $1.29 or $1.49.

Of course for munchies, Krispy Kreme's were $0.06 each.

Back