• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama on "Between Two Ferns"

It has 5.2 million views already.

And I can guarantee you that most of that is from train wreck rubberneckers that followed Drudge's link, not Zach's, or Obama's, target audience.

And I can guarantee you that most of that is from train wreck rubberneckers that followed Drudge's link, not Zach's, or Obama's, target audience.

:squint:

You don't think young people are circulating this around social media? If you honestly believe that of those 5.2 million people that more of them are conservatives sipping haterade than young folks Obama is trying to reach, then I don't know what to tell you.

not sure about young people, but the conservative twitterers and stuff like drudge only get more people to see it

My Facebook is blowing up with this, which I'm guessing was the point since the video has one million more views than ACA has enrolled.

Well done! This should have been done earlier to explain the steps to get in on the ACA.
Obama just said..screw it, we are going to keep appealing to the younger crowd and let the old whiners keep complaining.

7.9 million views currently

It's lame that he used the "young people think they're invincible" line, though. Talk about an ineffective call to action.

I became a believer in health insurance the day I had an emergency appendectomy and saw the bill. "Yeah, paying for health care sucks, and you might not need it until you're older, but it's way better than getting stuck with a $10,000 medical bill if you need your appendix out" would play better, IMO.

Drudge rubberneckers going ham.

"going H.A.M."

"The very first time I heard this song, it made me think of the movie Mean Girls. Mean Girls is about a bunch of high school girls of varying levels of popularity and niceness. One of them (Gretchen), desperate to make her mark on the school, repeatedly uses the word "fetch," an abbreviation of "fetching" (like "totes" or "adorbz"). She tries to just drop it nonchalantly in the middle of a conversation, hoping that a few friends would hear it and start spreading it around until, eventually, the whole school would be saying "fetch!" Her dreams are crushed when the meanest of the mean girls orders her to stop saying "fetch," as "'Fetch' is never going to be a thing."

That's what I think of when I hear "H.A.M." Jay-Z and Kanye acting like a high school girl desperately trying to coin the new hip slang.

"H.A.M" is never going to be a thing, you guys.

Because it's stupid. Because no one, even the hardest among us, will ever feel comfortable telling his friends, "I can't stay in and play board games with you all, as I will be out going H.A.M. all night long. Don't wait up; going H.A.M. is sort of an all-night affair, I'm told. I'm sort of the H.A.Mster of this group and -- You know what, I just heard what I sound like and no one's ever going to have sex with me, screw it, I'll stay home and play board games, this'll be fun."

Thank you Urban Dictionary.

It's lame that he used the "young people think they're invincible" line, though. Talk about an ineffective call to action.

I became a believer in health insurance the day I had an emergency appendectomy and saw the bill. "Yeah, paying for health care sucks, and you might not need it until you're older, but it's way better than getting stuck with a $10,000 medical bill if you need your appendix out" would play better, IMO.

snort, that doesn't work either. even people who are injured are stupid. my sister's boyfriend cut his arm, tried stitching it himself (lolz) then went to the ER for free and said fuck it. still not interested in ACA

"going H.A.M."

"The very first time I heard this song, it made me think of the movie Mean Girls. Mean Girls is about a bunch of high school girls of varying levels of popularity and niceness. One of them (Gretchen), desperate to make her mark on the school, repeatedly uses the word "fetch," an abbreviation of "fetching" (like "totes" or "adorbz"). She tries to just drop it nonchalantly in the middle of a conversation, hoping that a few friends would hear it and start spreading it around until, eventually, the whole school would be saying "fetch!" Her dreams are crushed when the meanest of the mean girls orders her to stop saying "fetch," as "'Fetch' is never going to be a thing."

That's what I think of when I hear "H.A.M." Jay-Z and Kanye acting like a high school girl desperately trying to coin the new hip slang.

"H.A.M" is never going to be a thing, you guys.

Because it's stupid. Because no one, even the hardest among us, will ever feel comfortable telling his friends, "I can't stay in and play board games with you all, as I will be out going H.A.M. all night long. Don't wait up; going H.A.M. is sort of an all-night affair, I'm told. I'm sort of the H.A.Mster of this group and -- You know what, I just heard what I sound like and no one's ever going to have sex with me, screw it, I'll stay home and play board games, this'll be fun."

Thank you Urban Dictionary.

sorry bud, "HAM"'s been a thing since 2011. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the term "ratchet", though.

snort, that doesn't work either. even people who are injured are stupid. my sister's boyfriend cut his arm, tried stitching it himself (lolz) then went to the ER for free and said fuck it. still not interested in ACA

You're probably right, but "young people think they're invincible" is the worst ever. Every time I've heard an adult say that line I immediately stop listening to whatever they're saying.

Also your sister's boyfriend is kind of a werido. Not sure if he's the best counterexample.

Also your sister's boyfriend is kind of a werido. Not sure if he's the best counterexample.

Or he is the badassest Vietnam war veteran ever

1stblood5.jpg

Huge fan of Between Two Ferns and regardless of political persuasion, the bit was funny if the viewer understands what the show is about. Wasn't the best edition or the worst, but it was funny. Conservatives will blast the president for appearing on this show and then wonder why Republicans keep losing because they can't connect with people under 35.

He's not trying to remake his image. ACA needs young people to sign up. This is him trying to get young people to sign up for ACA.

This nails it as far as the reason for the appearance goes. But really, it can get 100 million views and still be zero sum if nobody goes to the healthcare site and signs up. It may seem desperate, but he might as well use all available tools at his disposal to save/stabilize the piece of legislation that will define his legacy.

Huge fan of Between Two Ferns and regardless of political persuasion, the bit was funny if the viewer understands what the show is about. Wasn't the best edition or the worst, but it was funny. Conservatives will blast the president for appearing on this show and then wonder why Republicans keep losing because they can't connect with people under 35.

This nails it as far as the reason for the appearance goes. But really, it can get 100 million views and still be zero sum if nobody goes to the healthcare site and signs up. It may seem desperate, but he might as well use all available tools at his disposal to save/stabilize the piece of legislation that will define his legacy.

The bold is what it comes down to and why it won't matter even if nobody signs up because of it. Obama's youth credit will payoff well beyond 2014 and 2016.

By the way, it's hilarious that a comedy bit with a 52 year old and a 44 year old is used to appeal to young people and it seems to be working.

Last edited:
Back