• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama on "Between Two Ferns"

Neil Postman... "Amusing Ourselves To Death"

This after an orchestrated coup of Ukraine.

Just another "great guy that I'd like to have a beer with!"

You're probably right, but "young people think they're invincible" is the worst ever. Every time I've heard an adult say that line I immediately stop listening to whatever they're saying.

Also your sister's boyfriend is kind of a werido. Not sure if he's the best counterexample.

i mean, he is a weirdo, but they're both the most typical millennial ever

Not too sure about that.

[video]http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/d47e6a33a5/drunk-history-vol-5-w-will-ferrell-don-cheadle-zooey-deschanel[/video]

Seriously cracking up at “Abe Lincoln would not have done it.”

The USA is a country in decline.

For me, this kind of continual stuff is beneath the dignity of the office. I could see doing something on a rare, significant occasion (like the Queen doing the James Bond spoof for the Olympics opening ceremony), but Obama is doing this kind of stuff constantly. I find it to be in poor taste.

he needs to appeal to young people. Young people are more likely to watch Between Two Ferns than an appearance on the NBC Nightly News or wherever. and you watch this video on the internet, so can click right over to healthcare.gov after. Seems like a no-brainer.

Remember when Clinton was on Arsenio?

I think people still underestimate the power of the internet, social media, etc. in our daily lives. The Pope has a Twitter handle. Brave new world we live in these days.

The fact that he took the hour or less out of his 18 hour days to do this to promote healthcare.gov is totally fine by me. If anything, he needs to be doing more and more to promote and market this himself. It's his legislation, it has his name attached to it, and he's using smart venues that appeal to young people (and frankly, should appeal to people of a lot of ages; as someone else pointed out, these guys are in their 40s and 50s).

Much adrudge about nothing.

Since there's gridlock in Congress, why not?

"Any bills for me to sign into laws today? No? Okaaayy."

Seriously cracking up at “Abe Lincoln would not have done it.”

The USA is a country in decline.

For me, this kind of continual stuff is beneath the dignity of the office. I could see doing something on a rare, significant occasion (like the Queen doing the James Bond spoof for the Olympics opening ceremony), but Obama is doing this kind of stuff constantly. I find it to be in poor taste.

The funny thing is that if there was another President who would do this, it would be Lincoln.

"going H.A.M."

"The very first time I heard this song, it made me think of the movie Mean Girls. Mean Girls is about a bunch of high school girls of varying levels of popularity and niceness. One of them (Gretchen), desperate to make her mark on the school, repeatedly uses the word "fetch," an abbreviation of "fetching" (like "totes" or "adorbz"). She tries to just drop it nonchalantly in the middle of a conversation, hoping that a few friends would hear it and start spreading it around until, eventually, the whole school would be saying "fetch!" Her dreams are crushed when the meanest of the mean girls orders her to stop saying "fetch," as "'Fetch' is never going to be a thing."

That's what I think of when I hear "H.A.M." Jay-Z and Kanye acting like a high school girl desperately trying to coin the new hip slang.

"H.A.M" is never going to be a thing, you guys.

Because it's stupid. Because no one, even the hardest among us, will ever feel comfortable telling his friends, "I can't stay in and play board games with you all, as I will be out going H.A.M. all night long. Don't wait up; going H.A.M. is sort of an all-night affair, I'm told. I'm sort of the H.A.Mster of this group and -- You know what, I just heard what I sound like and no one's ever going to have sex with me, screw it, I'll stay home and play board games, this'll be fun."

Thank you Urban Dictionary.

Aptly put. Just like Beyonce with "surfboard." WTF.

Constantly? You've got to be kidding. He's done it maybe once a year. This was for a very specific reason and succeeded. Which you hate.

If Obama went into a lab and personally cured cancer with a pill that would cost $0.50, you'd bitch that it cost too much and didn't cure diabetes.

Nixon went on Laugh-In. It was the most risque and out there show of the era.

Nixon was a candidate on Laugh In and Clinton was a candidate on Arsenio. I don't generally have a problem with a sitting president being on talk/web shows, but he's been on a ton of shows, and at this point, it's too much. I've watched a lot of them and missed some (Ellen, View, etc.), but he's everywhere.

I actually love seeing politicians doing comedy. Looking at the last 20 years on SNL, Gore was hysterically funny as host, Palin was funny, McCain is always funny, and George H. W. Bush had me falling out of my chair when, on a video recording, he said something like "Na ga da... what the hell is that... I would never say that" in response to the Dana Carvey Impressions.

That aside, if there is a point to be made in this post, here it is: the president and his handlers are navigating new territory in the "Information Age" and they are failing miserably as any start-up should. We're dealing with a case of first impression. R. E. Olds didn't roll out of bed at the start, push a button, and produce 100 quality cars a day. The president shouldn't be blamed for a lack of execution with the website or whatever because the message is the problem. The substance of his policies do more than enough to ground his approval rating.

Nonetheless, I hope for more tech-savvy candidates that I can agree with politically.

Last edited:
Back